Tilt and trim problems

Storvinen

Reaction score
Just getting ready to start the 2018 season. I’m having an intermittent problem with my starboard tilt and trim. Power down works great. Power up works 50% of the time. When it works, it works great. When it’s not working, all I can hear is the relay clicking. Works the same from all switches. Front tilt and trim switches and engine. I’ve filled the resovor which was full. When I manually relieve the pressure on the side screw, pumps spins great going in the down position, clicks in the up position. She is in the down position now and I can’t get her to kick in and raise. Any suggestions?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ummm... what engine would this be?

But, sounds like a failing PTT relay assembly or loose/corroded connections. Bypass the relay to check.

Storvinen

Reaction score
Sorry, the engine is a 2001 150 HP HPDI

This is strictly a fresh water boat. Trailered. The connections on the relay are all clean but I took them apart and cleaned them. It did not make any difference.

Fishtales

Reaction score
HI,
Not sure of your set up but I have a button on the engine, one on the binnacle and two (one for each on the binnacle frame). The engine switches always work. I've had intermittent issues a couple of times with those on the binnacle. I usually take the cover off and work some WD50 in there. That clears it right up. I think it is my fault, from the water sprayed cleaning the boat. The problem doesn't seem to be around long enough to have to take switch action. I beleive you can purchase the binnacle switches separately if needed. Go to SiM Yamaha and poke around.

Storvinen

Reaction score
Sounds like a similar set up. I have the engine switch, separate starboard and port at the helm and on switch that runs both engines on the throttle? All switches give me the same result. Good going down, clicks when I push for up. After a lot of reading last night, it sounds like the relay could be th culprit. Seals are good and the motor runs great in the down mode. I did find the source of the clicking under the cover. I’m assuming that is the relay. I always through a relay worked or it didn’t. But it sounds like it can start to go faulty causing this type of problem. Does anyone have any experience with that? I sure appreciate the help :)

seasick

Reaction score
Storvinen said:
Sounds like a similar set up. I have the engine switch, separate starboard and port at the helm and on switch that runs both engines on the throttle? All switches give me the same result. Good going down, clicks when I push for up. After a lot of reading last night, it sounds like the relay could be th culprit. Seals are good and the motor runs great in the down mode. I did find the source of the clicking under the cover. I’m assuming that is the relay. I always through a relay worked or it didn’t. But it sounds like it can start to go faulty causing this type of problem. Does anyone have any experience with that? I sure appreciate the help :)
Sounds like the relay. Before anything else, make sure that all connections at the relay are clean and snug.
I believe your tilt motor is a two wire with single relay; part # may be 68F-81950-00-00. Assuming that looks like your setup, while holding the switch on the cowl at the motor in the position that doesn't work, rap the relay with a small hammer or other tool. If the pump starts working, that is a sign that the relay is bad.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Storvinen said:

Hi,
If all giving you the same result, then as stated look down stream from the switch. Relay or possibly the trim motor itself.

Storvinen

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I took the relay off the port engine and swapped it with the starboard. Now the port engine has the problem. Relay it is. Any good resources for parts? I’ve checked a few sites and the electrical system views shown do not show this relay?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Storvinen said:
I did find the source of the clicking under the cover. I’m assuming that is the relay. I always through a relay worked or it didn’t. But it sounds like it can start to go faulty causing this type of problem. Does anyone have any experience with that? I sure appreciate the help :)

Yes, that's why I mentioned it above. Relays can click, but still not pass enough juice for the motor.

Did you check the part number that Seasick looked up for you? Why not just call SIM Yamaha - probably a 3 minute phone call and done.

Ratical

Reaction score
Just swap relays If one is working and the other is not..