I bought these:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I bought these:

thats a good deal, basically get the tilt seals for free. But its not OEM Yamaha.... not that I don't think Yamaha sources generic o-rings and seals.

OH! they don't have snap rings so don't bend them or shoot them across the driveway....

I'v e been using Boats.net going way back to Mercury and then Suzuki motors. They have everything and its easy to find your year/make /Model. Parts are as reasonable as anything boat related can be reasonable.
SIM Yamaha has similar prices for Yamaha parts.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I have an OX66 150 and the trim caps have no c-clip but do have 2 seals in the cap bore ( not including the o-ring on the threaded side of the cap) . I opted for the yami oem parts kit since it was a bit confusing as to what parts I actually needed

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have an OX66 150 and the trim caps have no c-clip but do have 2 seals in the cap bore ( not including the o-ring on the threaded side of the cap) . I opted for the yami oem parts kit since it was a bit confusing as to what parts I actually needed

wow, ya... the 150 is different and more expensive. $47 for 17,18,19,20,21...and the cap is $67

seasick

Reaction score
wow, ya... the 150 is different and more expensive. $47 for 17,18,19,20,21...and the cap is $67
As I have been corrected about the caps, the trim caps run $25 ,only the tilt cap is $67.

Yes the kit is more than your kit and hopefully your kit works out well. I selected the SIM kit since it consists of all Yamaha OEM. Most are in individual packaging which helps to look up part numbers if you get confused about what goes where.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well, everything showed up, but there was one SNAFU right off the bat. The spanner was the correct model, but the pins that same with it were the wrong thread. There was at least a mm of clearance between the outside of the male threads on the pins and the inside of the female threads in the spanner - so they drop right in, but spin freely. They are supposed to have mailed the correct ones yesterday, but will they be here by Saturday? Sigh...

seasick

Reaction score
Did you happen to notice or test to see if the pins fit the holes in the caps snugly? The larger screw pins also have a larger pin itself.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Spanner was the correct model number - the pin holes aligned perfectly and pins were 4mm and slid right in. I hadn't realized that it employs 3 pins - that's great. But you DO need to be able to screw them into the spanner to get things going. 8^|

I'm giving even money on whether they send the correct solution - I even drew pictures with sizes labelled and said at least 3 times that 4mm and 38mm were correct. We shall see...

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looks like there are two models. Mine says "MT0004" and "38L". On the website I also see one with MT0004 and "38S", so a huge intellectual leap lands me on the conclusion that the L and S refer to the bore size for the pins. Now I'm feeling more confident that all will be well with one more harvest of the mailbox...

I'm ready to dig in!

seasick

Reaction score
Sounds promising.
When you start to unscrew the caps, it is important to try to keep steady pressure on the wrench as well as making sure it stays perpendicular to the cap surface so that as you apply force, the pins don't twist out and can damage/distort the holes in the cap. I found that banging the handle with a hammer or similar doesn't work well at all. A pipe or other lever on the handle with steady force works best.Depending on where the cap holes are aligned, you may have trouble using a pipe to get more force. I use the end of a long box wrench slipped over the handle to add leverage.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you sir. There's plenty of work left on the old girl, so unless the pins are tomorrow's mail I'll be working on something else. I started prepping (scuffing) the bottom last weekend and there's no shortage of area left to hit on that one, and have a gifted seamster friend coming over Saturday afternoon to help/teach me about making upholstery.

seasick

Reaction score
I wish I had access to either of my boats. It's tough to have to stay at home with not a lot to do except eat snacks!
So enjoy your work and be safe.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Excellent! Thank you!

Here is the tip:

"Split a short section of PVC into two pieces. Get the heaviest wall that you can find and make sure that it has an inside diameter that is large enough to go around the trim or tilt piston shaft. Put the Yamaha tool on the cap. Place the split PVC around the piston shaft and then carefully trim the motor down until the PVC is holding the tool in place. It will keep the pins of the tool from slipping out of the holes that are in the cap. "

I'm thinking the pipe needs to be split only for the TILT, but I haven't tried it yet...

seasick

Reaction score
Interesting idea. I don't know how well that will work on the Marine Tech spanners since the top surface is not flat but rather somewhat rounded

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The pipe is only a suggestion. The idea of installing something in that space to restrict movement is the guideline. I can just as well make something out of wood if I don’t have any pipes the right size. I already started turning that one over in my mind before the link to the PVC emerged.

seasick

Reaction score
For the Marine Tech tool, as long as the holes in the cap have not been damaged or distorted,the tool works well if the tool does work, probably no other spanner would have either. You just need to make sure that the three pins stay fully seated in the cap holes when applying the unscrewing force.
Having the three pins makes a big difference especially in keeping the tool square to the cap.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wow. Got the mail today and I now have 15 (count em!) pins that are incorrectly threaded for my wrench. Is it me, or does this picture that I sent the first time convey the message?

They get one more chance and then I select a new brand. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• Pins THREADS too small.jpg
    Pins THREADS too small.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Confirm which wrench you got. was it the atm0002 or the 0004?