tilt trim in seastar helm

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Friend put West Marine tilt trim fluid in helm, I cannot find the specs on the fluid. Bottle says good for all hydraulic systems. Seems to be working fine. Is it a real problem?

seasick

Reaction score
It's probably OK if it says its fine for all hydraulic apps. I probably would be more concerned using it in the motor tilt system. For my motors, I use transmission fluid ATF but I wouldn't use that in my steering ( I am not certain why I wouldn't use it though)

Gulffisher

Reaction score
If clean and no water I would not worry. But if your are concerned, I suppose you could attach a bottle(s) of new SeaStar fluid to the helm (do you have the threaded adapter and tubing) and pump out old as if you were purging the system.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
"Tilt and Trim" fluid sounds like it's for tilting/trimming of an outdrive or OB... not for steering. Personally, I wouldn't use it. Maybe it would be fine... I don't know. I'd flush it out completely with the proper fluid - whether Sea Star or the equivalent with the proper spec.

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Trim/tilt oil is different than steering oil.
I used ATF for either trim/tilt on outboards also in a emergency for seastar hydraulic steering and it worked,
However after i could get original Teleflex Seastar fluid i replaced all the oil in the system, first because it was already old and second as i prefer to use what manufacturer recommends as loosing steering is a serious issue.
West Marine hydraulic steering fluid should be fine, but West Marine trim/tilt fluid is not the right thing.
Chris

seasick

Reaction score
I think I have to change my opinion on the fluid. Looking at the West Marine web site, I can only find one WM branded Tilt and Trim product. Nowhere does it say that is is suitable for hydraulic steering systems. There are a few other WM and non WM products listed but the one that mentions steering is a Quick Silver product. The description describes it as an additive to be used with hydraulic fluid.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Quicksilver has a universal hydraulic steering fluid and it's not a additive
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/858078q01-fluid-hydstr

Amazon has a broad choice of fluids for hydraulic steering
https://www.amazon.com/marine-hydraulic-steering-fluid/s?k=marine+hydraulic+steering+fluid

Seastar Manual state this:
Hydraulic Fluid
Recommended oils for your steering system are:
SeaStar Hydraulic Fluid, part no. HA5430 (1 quart), HA5440 (1 Gal.)
Texaco HO15
Shell Aero 4
Esso Univis N15
Chevron Aviation Fluid A
Mobil Aero HFA
Fluids meeting Mil H5606 specifications.
Automatic transmission fluid Dexron ll may be used in an emergency.
Never use brake fluid.
Any non-approved fluid may cause irreparable damage, loss of steering, and cancellation
of warranty.
In cases of extreme emergency any non-toxic, non-flammable fluid may provide temporary steering.
Chris

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
back of bottle states ok for all hydraulic applications. petroleum based, has the anticorrosion, anti foam, lubrication additives. viscosity may be a little less than steering fluid. it does not have the mil spec 5606, which prob does not matter. it was only a top off but probably a good one. he was low but did not seem to have air in system. gonna let it go and see what happens. if there is a problem will let you know.

if anyone knows where there is a good source of sds data for stuff like this i would like to know.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Not a bad excuse for flushing the whole thing. Then you'll have all of the same stuff and it will be new.
You'd be amazed how rusty that stuff can get.

You can get a gallon of 5606a on amazon for $60. Flush the whole system and have plenty to do it again. I transfer remainder to a plastic jug and keep onboard.
Put some in a squeeze bottle for topping off. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP3GDDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instead of using the quart with the pinhole, cut the bottom off one. Crank wheel and fill while draining at cylinder. Do both sides till its clean fluid. Then jump a tube around the cylinder and crank the wheel in one direction and watch the bubbles rise into your spout.. Add fluid as necesary

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The only real issue here is seal compatibility and viscosity change with temperature. Most all modern hydraulic fluids are compatible with modern seal technology. Both the trim and tilt and steering systems are relatively low pressure and flow as compared to such things as aircraft hydraulic system fluids which typically meet mil-spec, 5606 or Skydrol or other compatible fluids. If the system is still under warranty, then it pays to use the manufacturing spec fluid.

seasick

Reaction score
I am not sure what product we are referring to. There is a West Marine branded tilt and trim fluid and there is a product stocked by WM and is a Quick Silver product. The WM product says on the label A premium trim and tilt fluid that is ideal for all modern outboards and sterndrives..
It doesn't mention hydraulic steering at least on the picture.

The QuickSilver labelled product says; Additive for hydraulic steering and trim systems.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
its is on the back of the bottle

seasick

Reaction score
what does the front of the bottle say? Is it the WM brand or the Quicksilver?

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
West Marine brand. This has been an interesting discussion. It once again reinforces my skepticism of product labels and manufactures requirements pertaining to warranties and recommended uses. Why for instance does Suzuki mandate I must use only Suzuki products during routine maintenance or void the warranty. Do they make the oil and filter. No they farm it out to someone who makes everybody's products most likely. While I could not get the SDS for this product, I did get one for other tilt/trim fluid and the viscosity is the same as Seastar steering fluid. Cannot say if the lubricants and anti foam is the same but how bad could they be as the bottle states formulated for maximum seal life. As for seals are they not all Viton at this point. Sure looks like it to me. Most of all it does state formulated for the demanding performance requirements on all tilt, trim, power steering and hydraulic systems.
Thanks to all for the input.

tilt-trim.jpg

Reactions: seasick

Mike P.

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
curious why you didn't just buy the West Marine Hydraulic steering fluid...1704749396303.png

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
not my boat, but i would not hesitate to top off with it if needed. if it was a complete system fill i would use steering fluid.

Reactions: Fixit