Tilt/Trim quandary

cosmic

Reaction score
The green and the blue both need to be connected to the battery, one to (+) and one to (-) . The direction the motor turns depends on which wires are connected to which posts.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The green and the blue both need to be connected to the battery, one to (+) and one to (-) . The direction the motor turns depends on which wires are connected to which posts.
OK, thanks for that. I was thinking the motor grounded through the case. This will be easy then. Thanks

Reactions: Sauza45

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The trim motor can easily be checked by unbolting the connections on the trim relay and connecting the motor leads to a ground and 12v source. The trim should operate in one direction. Then reverse the motor wires and connect to ground and 12v. The trim should run in the opposite direction. If all that works, reconnect the wires and try the switch on the cowling. When it has the problem, while holding the cowl rocker switch down, give a decent whack to the relay. If the tilt motor starts working, the relay is bad. You can probably find a relay on eBay, used probably but that may be worth the risk.

I forgot to say that first you should make sure all the rel

The trim motor can easily be checked by unbolting the connections on the trim relay and connecting the motor leads to a ground and 12v source. The trim should operate in one direction. Then reverse the motor wires and connect to ground and 12v. The trim should run in the opposite direction. If all that works, reconnect the wires and try the switch on the cowling. When it has the problem, while holding the cowl rocker switch down, give a decent whack to the relay. If the tilt motor starts working, the relay is bad. You can probably find a relay on eBay, used probably but that may be worth the risk.

I forgot to say that first you should make sure all the relar terminals are tight

Attach files
at terminals are tight
Seasick, I finally got my brain alignment and did just what you suggest here. The tilt/trim worked flawlessly in both directions when hooked to a test battery. When testing the down direction that is giving trouble, I connected and disconnected 20 times and it never failed to activate. I then hooked everything back up like normal operating mode and the down direction never operated mor than 3 times without failing to activate. When it would fail to go, I would continue to hold the "Down" rocker and whack the relay with the plastic handle of a large screwdriver. Instant action in the down direction. I would stop and re activate the rocker till it failed to go and I would whack the relay and instant operation. I did this 6 times and every time the single whack of the relay caused it to start working. I think your high- tech testing has produced valid results. Not sure if I should buy a new relay or just hang that screwdriver back there and run a string up to the helm so I can jerk on it when needed.
Thanks for the wise words from all who helped guide me to success. Especially Seasick.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Always check the trim using the dual button, the individual buttons on the controls and down by the motor. I have found the switches are prone to become intermittent. Can be cleaned and sprayed with WD40 and seem to work fine after. Could be a motor but those switches are the first thing to check. Poor design if you ask me.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm a little late back to the party here, but didn't want you to think I went away :)

No, you don't have to disconnect anything. You just need to locate the larger green and blue wires that go the motor. Jump 12V+ to one of them. You can do this using a sufficiently sized jumper wire from a hot 12V lug on the engine or use a portable source (and of course ground the portable source).

I have absolutely no idea if you can "get into" that relay... but if you could, you may be able to sand/file/smooth the contacts.

I like the idea of using some penetrating fluid to lubricate the plungers. I've never tried that - but it sounds like a reasonable idea.

This same problem happens with Mercruiser (and I'm sure others) tilt and trim relay solenoids. They will click but not actually pass enough juice. These solenoids only cost $20 so we just swap them for new - it's not worth investigating any further with those.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm a little late back to the party here, but didn't want you to think I went away :)

No, you don't have to disconnect anything. You just need to locate the larger green and blue wires that go the motor. Jump 12V+ to one of them. You can do this using a sufficiently sized jumper wire from a hot 12V lug on the engine or use a portable source (and of course ground the portable source).

I have absolutely no idea if you can "get into" that relay... but if you could, you may be able to sand/file/smooth the contacts.

I like the idea of using some penetrating fluid to lubricate the plungers. I've never tried that - but it sounds like a reasonable idea.

This same problem happens with Mercruiser (and I'm sure others) tilt and trim relay solenoids. They will click but not actually pass enough juice. These solenoids only cost $20 so we just swap them for new - it's not worth investigating any further with those.
I wondered if you had gone fishing. I finally got time right at dark last night to verify that a little shock makes the contacts work, so I didn't investigate further. Today I'm going to check all the connections good for looseness and corrosion.

seasick

Reaction score
Seasick, I finally got my brain alignment and did just what you suggest here. The tilt/trim worked flawlessly in both directions when hooked to a test battery. When testing the down direction that is giving trouble, I connected and disconnected 20 times and it never failed to activate. I then hooked everything back up like normal operating mode and the down direction never operated mor than 3 times without failing to activate. When it would fail to go, I would continue to hold the "Down" rocker and whack the relay with the plastic handle of a large screwdriver. Instant action in the down direction. I would stop and re activate the rocker till it failed to go and I would whack the relay and instant operation. I did this 6 times and every time the single whack of the relay caused it to start working. I think your high- tech testing has produced valid results. Not sure if I should buy a new relay or just hang that screwdriver back there and run a string up to the helm so I can jerk on it when needed.
Thanks for the wise words from all who helped guide me to success. Especially Seasick.
Good diagnostics.

The relay is bad unfortunately. Personally, I would look for a used one on eBay. I generally don't recommend used parts but $300 for the relay is ridiculous

Reactions: Halfhitch

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Today I removed the relay and found that it has 6 screws holding the two halves together I was able to separate the two halves just enough to spray a few shots of WD40 in. I screwed it back together and it works perfectly. I probably hit the 'down' button 30 times and it never missed a lick. Instead of 330 bucks, it cost 4 squirts of WD40 and a few minutes of an old guys day. Gonna splash it tomorrow and see how she does.

seasick

Reaction score
Great. Now you can use that $300 to buy a dozen eggs:)

Reactions: Legend

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for this clarification. I did what I thought you intended this morning. I removed both the blue and green from the relay, connected the ground of my test battery (12.6v) to the lug where the boat battery was connected till I removed it to get the air box off. When I touched the positive to the green or the blue nothing happened. I thought maybe the boat battery needed to be connected also to get the relay to operate. I thought I had better get more clarification before I goof up and let the smoke out.
So that said, instead of grounding the test battery to the block and touching the positive to the blue or green, you are saying I should connect the ground of the test battery to either the blue or the green and touch the positive from the test battery to the other color. I was assuming the tilt motor was making ground through the block but that is evidently incorrect.
I have twin 2003 Yamaha 225s. I have had to replace both trim tilt motors and one relay switch. Reading through all the posts your problem is most likely the relay. If you can swap the blue and green wires (blue is up like the sky and green is down like the ground) and the problem now is consistent with the tilt in the opposite direction my guess is the relay.