Time For A New Trailer

Mr Mac

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
When I bought the '92 204C I knew that the trailer was going to need work. I saw the issue with the frame cross member and I saw the excess rust and knew the lights were, well, rigged. We towed the thing home and it was an adventure!

The trailer is too short for the boat and, while rollers do make loading/unloading easier, they also lift the boat up higher than if it had bunks and that changes the CG. With the trailer as short as it is, I also could not use my transom saver. I did some research and found that the weight of this boat (with fuel and gear) really should be a tandem axle unit with a bit more capacity than the trailer that came with it. I then called around and found a brand new tandem axle trailer that will fit the boat far better than the current one and the company I am getting it from, Gulf Marine in Clearwater, will even adjust the new trailer and transfer the boat over for me.

Let the waiting begin.

Here are shots of what I have today...
20210806_154302.jpg20210806_154320.jpg20210806_154406.jpg20210806_154506.jpg

Mr Mac

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Of course, I will post pics of the new trailer when it arrives and the work is done!

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ve seen worse. You can probably fix up the old a bit and sell it for a decent price. I had some adventure getting my boat to the ramp - blew a bearing on the highway and limped it 6 miles on 3 wheels

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bunk trailers handle more weight the weight is evenly spread on trailer ride a lot nicer

Mr Mac

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I had some adventure getting my boat to the ramp - blew a bearing on the highway and limped it 6 miles on 3 wheels
INteresting that you mentioned the bearings as that was something I forgot to mention. When I was replacing the tires on this one, I noticed that the wheels didn't turn as freely as they should have and the port side had a touch of a grind to it.

As for fixing it up for sale, the folks where I am buying the new trailer are giving me some $$ off of the new for this one as they can cannibalize it for parts for other customers, so it made the deal a bit sweeter for me.

Reactions: PointedRose

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
INteresting that you mentioned the bearings as that was something I forgot to mention. When I was replacing the tires on this one, I noticed that the wheels didn't turn as freely as they should have and the port side had a touch of a grind to it.

As for fixing it up for sale, the folks where I am buying the new trailer are giving me some $$ off of the new for this one as they can cannibalize it for parts for other customers, so it made the deal a bit sweeter for me.

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am rebuilding my trailer it’s a Wessco 2 axles with brakes new lines lights jack leaf springs shackles surge brakes new bunks 4 tires for a 24’ offshore $2,500.00

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am rebuilding my trailer it’s a Wessco 2 axles with brakes new lines lights jack leaf springs shackles surge brakes new bunks 4 tires for a 24’ offshore $2,500.00
Also new wire a new trailer of that type is $ 5,000.00 & up

seasick

Reaction score
The rusty bolts, leaf springs and hangers don't bother me nearly as much as the rust under the center cross member and the rear center light fixture. Galvanized trailers rust from the inside out in many cases and both those low spots are prime areas for rusting since they often pool water, inside and out. I wonder what parts the seller would reuse. In todays market, they could fix it up and sell it quickly but that rust if inside will only get worse and eventually the structure will fail.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A friend of mine just bought a super high quality 3 axle for Marlin for 7k. Id expect somewhere around 5K

But you can buy all those parts and they aren't super difficult if you have a good sawsall

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
There is a point where buying a new one is cheaper and will last longer. That trailer is there. By the time you replace axle, hubs, tires, springs, all u-bolts, and rusty frame pieces...brakes if it has them...and lights and wiring...you could buy a trailer.
I've been at that point before for a Wellcraft V20 trailer and priced it out buying parts retail. Now maybe that trailer guy can fix & flip it but he buys cheaper and it won't be a week long project for him.

I've also replaced axle/springs/hubs/tires on a small trailer for a tin boat in a hurry, just to get it to Alabama from NJ. A new trailer would have been a better use of money. Now its a crappy old trailer that rolls very nicely.

Last edited:

Mr Mac

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
There is a point where buying a new one is cheaper and will last longer. That trailer is there. By the time you replace axle, hubs, tires, springs, all u-bolts, and rusty frame pieces...brakes if it has them...and lights and wiring...you could buy a trailer.
I've been at that point before for a Wellcraft V20 trailer and priced it out buying parts retail. Now maybe that trailer guy can fix & flip it but he buys cheaper and it won't be a week long project for him.

I've also replaced axle/springs/hubs/tires on a small trailer for a tin boat in a hurry, just to get it to Alabama from NJ. A new trailer would have been a better use of money. Now its a crappy old trailer that rolls very nicely.
Amen, Brother! I have looked at the costs to get this trailer fixed, but, even if it were feasible, it is still seems too light for for a boat that weighs in around 2500# (with motor and empty fuel tanks). The new trailer is aluminum which means I'll be pulling a little less weight overall and that helps in every aspect of trailering. The new trailer is going to cost me around $4k when all said and done, well worth it in my case.