Time for new anchor for Canyon 336

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Hi all,

I bought my '08 Canyon 336 last July and use it for mostly bottom fishing in the SWFL Gulf area. I am looking to replace my anchor. I currently have a Delta 22lb non-hinged plow style anchor. I was looking at possibly switching to either a Vulcan Rocna 26lb or possibly a Kingston Quickset 22lb. Has anyone with a late model 336 or 330 used either of these anchors? Any issues with how the fit with the anchor setup on the 33' Grady's?

Thanks in advance!

Doug
"Planned Outage"
336 Canyon

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did you break the current plow anchor? Reason I ask is that's a good anchor and 99% of the time, the reason for an anchor "not" holding is due to improper anchoring technique. #1, be sure you are letting out enough rode to reach the proper scope for the conditions. Most people fall well short of that. Secondly, adding chain (or more chain) can drastically improve the holding power.

Point being here... you may be able to get a better hook for free (which doesn't always happen in the boating world!) - just by altering your anchoring technique.

Reactions: PlannedOutage

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I plan to replace the rode, chain and the anchor. I am not suggesting I am having anchor issues due to the plow anchor design. I do understand proper anchor techniques and rode / chain length to anchoring depth recommendations in order to have a good hold. Previous owner apparently lost the original anchor, chain and rode at some prior date when he owned the boat. Based on the copy of the service records that I received when I bought the boat, he bought the cheapest setup he could go with when he replaced his rode / chain / anchor. He bought 300 ft of 3-strand 9/16" rode, 20 feet of 5/16" chain and a painted steel Delta plow anchor which is not damaged, but it is showing corrosion and paint chips, etc. Clearly the rode and the chain is too short for anchoring in anything more than 75 feet of depth. I also have occasional issues with the 3-strand 9/16" rode binding up in my Lewmar V1 windlass (with 002 gypsy) on the retrieve as well as getting tangled up in the locker during free fall anchor setting. The 22lb Delta plow is not an issue, but just ugly and I figure if I am replacing the rode and the chain to have better anchoring in deeper waters, I might as well get a new anchor at this time also. I frequently bottom fish in 120-140 ft of water.

I am not opposed to sticking with a plow style anchor, but thought i would ask about the other designs that are out to see if the claimed advantages of the other designs are worthwhile and if they would work on the 336/330 anchor locker / windlass design.

I was thinking of going with 600 feet of 8-plait 5/8" of rode and 40 feet of 5/16" of chain. Anyone have any opinions on 3-strand vs 8-plait rode? From what I have read, the 8-plait lays better in the rode locker and is less likely for tangles and windlass jams than the 3-strand rodes.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Regards,

Doug

-----------

"Planned Outage"
336 Canyon

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I plan to replace the rode, chain and the anchor. I am not suggesting I am having anchor issues due to the plow anchor design. I do understand proper anchor techniques and rode / chain length to anchoring depth recommendations in order to have a good hold. Previous owner apparently lost the original anchor, chain and rode at some prior date when he owned the boat. Based on the copy of the service records that I received when I bought the boat, he bought the cheapest setup he could go with when he replaced his rode / chain / anchor. He bought 300 ft of 3-strand 9/16" rode, 20 feet of 5/16" chain and a painted steel Delta plow anchor which is not damaged, but it is showing corrosion and paint chips, etc. Clearly the rode and the chain is too short for anchoring in anything more than 75 feet of depth. I also have occasional issues with the 3-strand 9/16" rode binding up in my Lewmar V1 windlass (with 002 gypsy) on the retrieve as well as getting tangled up in the locker during free fall anchor setting. The 22lb Delta plow is not an issue, but just ugly and I figure if I am replacing the rode and the chain to have better anchoring in deeper waters, I might as well get a new anchor at this time also. I frequently bottom fish in 120-140 ft of water.

I am not opposed to sticking with a plow style anchor, but thought i would ask about the other designs that are out to see if the claimed advantages of the other designs are worthwhile and if they would work on the 336/330 anchor locker / windlass design.

I was thinking of going with 600 feet of 8-plait 5/8" of rode and 40 feet of 5/16" of chain. Anyone have any opinions on 3-strand vs 8-plait rode? From what I have read, the 8-plait lays better in the rode locker and is less likely for tangles and windlass jams than the 3-strand rodes.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Regards,

Doug

-----------

"Planned Outage"
336 Canyon
Ah. Gotcha - I understand where you're coming from. I can't answer the question of the fitment of a different anchor with your particular anchor roller, but in regards to the 3-strand/8-plait... first, all rope gets dirt and salted up over time which causes slippage in the gypsy and coiling problems. So, once a year, it's a good idea to give the line a bath and end by soaking in bucket with some fabric softener. Sometimes, it becomes necessary to cut a few feet off where it is spliced to the chain and re-splice, as well. That said, 8-plait does everything better than 3-strand... other than beat it on price ;) It coils better, has no problems going through the gypsy and even resists the salt build-up better.

FYI, there's nothing wrong with going with another Delta - they're a good anchor. Like some other manufacturers, you can even get them in SS if you don't want the galvanized look!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't know if GW specs how much rode will fit in the locker. Might be good to shoot them an email. 600' seems a bit much, but maybe the locker is bigger than I recall. Your right on the chain. 35' minimum I'd say.

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I don't know if GW specs how much rode will fit in the locker. Might be good to shoot them an email. 600' seems a bit much, but maybe the locker is bigger than I recall. Your right on the chain. 35' minimum I'd say.

Good idea. Thank you for the suggestion. The locker is quite spacious and from what I have read, the 8-plait lays in the locker more compactly than the 3-strand, so that may help as well.