Time for new batteries

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I've always just purchased the standard 24 month deep cycle marine batteries for my 208 and swapped them out every 3 or 4 years.
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the latest and greatest than might be any good ?

seasick

Reaction score
I do not use deep cycles on my 208. Granted, I don't have a lot of draw when the motors are off; No big sound system, no lights in general , I don't go out at night very often, just my depth sounder/GPS. I am located in the north east and I get about 7 years on a set of batteries. I usually alternate which battery I run on and rarely use the BOTH switch setting. Deep cycle batteries do not like high current drain as is the case when starting the motor. Likewise, starting batteries don't like to be deeply discharged over time like anchored with a lot of accessories powered up.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
On my V20 I used a single grp27 Dual Purpose Marine battery. I had the boat 18 years. At the fifth year of every battery, at the slightest hesitation of the motor going down, I would replace it.
I fished at night a lot. FF/GPS, VHF, UW LED light...no ridiculous sound system blocking my chi....
Docked in water all season.
Never needed a second battery.
DP batteries are plenty to start an EFI 4 stroke that doesn't have to be cranked over and over and over...

I just don't think you can justify the price of AGM when you have to replace them just as often.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I currently have 2 dual purpose batteries on my 208. I keep them on a charger when not on the water, mostly solar in my storage. I also installed a blue seas battery isolator so both are charged and isolated when on the water. I run 1 and sometimes 2 bait tanks when tuna fishing, vhf and fishfinder. I get 4-5 years from them. I got my last set from Costco, I believe they are re branded Ineterstate batteries, but don't quote me on that.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have 2 interstate referbs that I put in on 2015. They are 27 series deep cycle that I can get from interstate warehouse for 50 bucks a piece. They usually last me 6-7 years. I have livewells, washdowns, and lights that I run for hours on anchor for night fishing offshore. I run out on all batteries and switch to bat 1 when I anchor up. Since I am usually 35 to 70 miles out, I carry a little battery jumper box (the size of a large cell phone) that works amazing in case I need it. I haven’t needed it while offshore yet but it is nice to know it is there.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Costco dual purpose marine batteries. Get a good charger/maintainer and use it, replace every 3-5 years when they start to be fussy when cranking the engine. If you have heavy electrical loads then replace more often. Maybe AGM if you relocate your batteries forward by the cuddy since they’ll see more impact/pounding.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Look at the battery requirements for your engines. The big Yamaha 4 stroke engines require quite a bit of battery power. On both of my twin engine Gradys, I usually only get 3 seasons out of a battery(s). They run everything including pumps(livewell, washdown), lights, radio(always on), fridge, windlass, thruster etc. I also average about 100-125 hrs/year on the boat. The boat stays in the water on a shore power using a smart charger all season, and is intermittently on a the same charger through the winter months up here in NE. I have used batteries from all different manufacturers and have not found a difference in longevity. My boat has 2 banks of 2 group27 batteries. he previous batteries were astros on one bank and the other bank was interstate. Both banks were shot after 3 seasons just like every other brand I have used. I believe Grady uses/recommends the deka dual purpose group 27. Which is also rebranded to a number of different companies including west marine.

You guys who get 5,6,7 years out of a battery amaze me as this just has not been my experience. A friend of mine who is a Yamaha mechanic has said 3-4 years is about the average he sees.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
7 years amazes me too but that's what I get. I have had my 208 for 14 years and I am on my second set. Towards the end of last season, I did notice that one battery is getting a bit tired. If I ever get that boat in the water this season, it will probably need new batteries. For the record. I leave my batteries in all winter. I make sure they are fulling charged before storage. I disconnect the grounds and do not trickle charge during the winter. The motor has started every new season so far:)
In the case of parallel wired batteries, I can see how they may age faster depending on how 'isolated' they are. Often one battery draws a tad from the other while the other 'charges' its twin. In addition depending again on isolation and the type of charger, the shore charger can in theory overcook a battery if its twin requires charge but it doesn't.
Finally, batteries in warmer climates ( think Florida) age faster than those in the cooler northeast

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks everyone. Interesting to see other peoples perspective and usages.
Think I'm just gonna stick with what's been working for the past 27 yrs

seasick

Reaction score
I am wondering why you asked for feedback if you were going to keep up your 27 year tradition:) Getting a bit stir crazy too?

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am wondering why you asked for feedback if you were going to keep up your 27 year tradition:) Getting a bit stir crazy too?

LOL - because nothing anyone suggested swayed me :)

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
7 years amazes me too but that's what I get. I have had my 208 for 14 years and I am on my second set. Towards the end of last season, I did notice that one battery is getting a bit tired. If I ever get that boat in the water this season, it will probably need new batteries. For the record. I leave my batteries in all winter. I make sure they are fulling charged before storage. I disconnect the grounds and do not trickle charge during the winter. The motor has started every new season so far:)
In the case of parallel wired batteries, I can see how they may age faster depending on how 'isolated' they are. Often one battery draws a tad from the other while the other 'charges' its twin. In addition depending again on isolation and the type of charger, the shore charger can in theory overcook a battery if its twin requires charge but it doesn't.
Finally, batteries in warmer climates ( think Florida) age faster than those in the cooler northeast
I am in south Florida. I do not charge my batteries with any onboard charger either. I shut the battery switch off when not in use, and it only gets charged by the engine when I go out. I agree with seasick in that the charger cooks the battery. Seems like the people with onboard chargers are always changing their batteries. lol.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
in terms of over charging one battery over another, I believe that is where the Battery isolator comes in. The Grady is the 2nd boat I have installed this on.

From the Blue Seas website.
"Battery Isolators, Automatic Charging Relays (also called ACRs , combiners, or voltage sensitive relays) are all intended to keep a load (or loads) from discharging the reserve battery system. The reserve battery system is used for vital loads like engine starting, navigation or communications. Battery Isolators and ACRs are intended to distribute current from a charging source to all batteries, but leave the batteries isolated during discharge conditions so they are only impacted by their own loads."

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Grady recommends DEKA 27M6 batteries. They’re available as Duracell brand at Batteries Plus. Also available at “Worst Marine“ private labeled but more expensive.

Attachments

• DEKA 27M6 Battery.pdf
    442.4 KB · Views: 3

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I just replaced one of my batteries that was 9 years old!
Sure didn’t owe me anything. I keep both batteries on battery tender Jr.s trickle chargers. That’s what’s responsible for the long life.
The starboard battery gave me a little trouble last fall so though it spent the winter on trickle charger I hooked up the Schumacher tester. It showed 12.5 volts but when put under a load it fell on its face. No good. The port battery still tests well at 500 CCA.
I always carry a charged and ready lithium portable jump starter as well. You can have two brand new batteries but if you have an unexpected Electrical drain you need something else to turn too.
My 225 OB has a pull start provision on its flywheel but I’m not the hulk anymore so that’s not realistic.

16567254-2818-445E-BA38-DFB3D10285D6.png

Finest Kind

Reaction score
......I carry a little battery jumper box (the size of a large cell phone) that works amazing in case I need it. I haven’t needed it while offshore yet but it is nice to know it is there.
I agree 100% with keeping a jumper on board.
I bought this one last season and had to use it a couple times before replacing my old batteries...this jumper works great!
Also has a built-in flashlight, a cigarette lighter socket, and usb ports which can be used to charge a cell phone.
Great and cheap insurance.