Time for repowering my 336 Canyon

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Hi all,

I own a 2008 Canyon 336 with the OEM F350As from the GW factory of the same vintage. The dreaded F350 powerhead failure on my 2008 F350A starboard motor finally bit me and I am dry docked for a while. Therefore, it is time to repower my vessel. Any other Grady 33 owners repowered your vessels? If so, what did you go with and are you happy with your choice vs the original OEM motors that you had before?

Thank you in advance for any info that you can provide to help a fellow Grady owner!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not a 336 Canyon owner, nor do I have any experience with them, but I do always enjoy talking about horsepower numbers, gph/mpg burned, top speed and so on. For me it also comes down to your boating/fishing needs, budget and so forth. If you look at the Grady White website and check out your 336 Canyon boat on there, it'll give you all the specs you need for a couple of different outboard configurations. If you want to do 50mph+ then there are two options... the first would be triple Yamaha 300's which will give you a top speed of 55.8mph at 5,900rpm but you'll also be burning almost 80gph of fuel while at those speeds. The other option is twin Yamaha 425's that'll get you WOT at 53.1mph @ 6,000rpm and also burning 72gph while at those speeds. The third option, at least for brand new Grady's would be twin Yamaha 300's which gives you a top speed of 44.8mph @ 6,000rpm and only burning 51.5gph fuel while at WOT. In just about any sized boat, and especially a 33 footer, I definitely don't need to be going over 45mph, and definitely not 55.8mph at WOT. Those would be options for Yamaha's, and I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you their opinion on them re-powering their own boat, but another option would be Suzuki. If/when I need to re-power it'll be with Suzuki for costing considerably less money, having a better warranty, great customer service and so forth. They make a Suzuki DF350 that I'm thinking with twins you'd be pretty happy with, especially since I think those early F350's were quite heavy at around 800lbs a piece? The Suzuki's are less weight than that as well as considerably lighter than having twin F425's on the back.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I repowered my "old"" 330 Express recently with 250 Yamaha's. I'm happy, but we're talking apples and oranges compared to your higher horsepower hull. I just hope you're able to find motors in this screwed up pandemic market!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I recently repowered my 330 express from 3.3L F250s to 4.2L F300s. Very happy! A big improvement. Same hull as yours and probably 1000# heavier. The 250s were a bit under powered and the 300s seem a lot more powerful! Grady White has performance bulletins for your boat with twin 300s, triple 300s and twin 425s. https://www.gradywhite.com/build/builder-steps/?p=6067
I'd look and compare. Note the trips use a higher pitch prop. I used 17P props versus GWs 15P as standard. If efficiency is a major concern for you, using more pitch than what GW uses can help with that. I don't need to ever go really fast and seldom have conditions to do so. The trips show slightly better efficiency than twin 300s, but I doubt you'd ever see the benefit thru the entire operating range. You definitely would never pay off the extra engine and associated maintenance. The 425s seem to have a good reputation, but not a proven design like the 300s. For me, twin 300s would be my choice hands down!

Reactions: everwhom

scott furman

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I have a 336 with twin Suzuki 350s. Great option. Now have about 700 hours and they have been very good. Port transmission had a bit of metal in the lower unit magnets; Suzuki rebuilt the lower unit at their cost. It has been awesome. Great performance.