Timing belt dust on 4.2L F225

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your plight sounds very familiar. I too was very disappointed in my choice when repowering. Lesson learned and no requirement to ever darken their doorstep again.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Prob the right move. If the teeth are good, it is the fastest and cheapest first step.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got a call from Cannons Marina service today and they don't want me to bring the boat in just yet. The Governor just stopped all non essential business, so the marina needs to figure out what part of their business they can operate........strange times.

• Sad
Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Been watching your thread Hitch, agree with Lite Tackle and glad you found a good dealer. Not sure if you could launch or not at this time anyway, but eventually this will get resolved and so will your motor issue :)
Keep us updated brother!
Another interesting question will be motor warranty time lines when the owner cannot fix or use the covered engine as an impact of COVID 19

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You had a chance to take the boat in yet under lockdown? Just following up to see what they found as the cause of the dust.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You had a chance to take the boat in yet under lockdown? Just following up to see what they found as the cause of the dust.
I have not taken it to them yet. I sent them an email yesterday asking if they were ready to take mine in and have not heard back. This shutdown really has things in a jam. You can't even walk on the beach here.

It gripes me now that they recommended I not use it till they have a look at it and install a new belt, cause the Kingfish are here and we have had calm seas.

Last edited:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Well, I took my boat in to the Grady dealer last Thursday and went back and picked it up today. I had two issues I wanted them to evaluate. First was the belt dust build up on the cam shaft sprockets. After doing their due-diligence, they say there is nothing wrong..."run it". The next issue I was concerned about, and wanted them to check, is the throttle plate is only opening up a little more than half way to full throttle. They hooked it up to the computer and it is functioning to spec. It turns out that the 4.2L Yamaha 225, 250 and 300hp models have their HP ratings controlled by simply limiting the amount of throttle plate opening by the "fly by wire" throttle potentiometers. Mine is a 225 HP so to achieve that with the 4.2L only requires a 65% opening of the throttle. No doubt the 300 lets the throttle plate open fully and the 250HP somewhere in between. Whoduthunkit?
Anyhow, It cost me a couple of Benjamin's but peace of mind has a value I guess. I thought this may be of interest to some.
ArOqUIIl.jpg

8XnIqvhl.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like they actually care and have diagnosed your concerns professionally,,, I'd be satisfied if that was mine. Small price to pay to get clean bill of health. At least it's documented now if anything does develop from either of these concerns.

seasick

Reaction score
Yup, who wudda thunk about the throttle plate. I have to put that in my list of weird yami facts.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So, I'm guessing that when the warranty is up and a guy wanted to juice it up a bit, a guy could buy an ECM for the higher hp model and it would let you calibrate the throttle plate actuator to a wider opening and "voila"...more hp.