Tips on removing batteries on 330 express 2008 and up

ogoz23

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was wondering if any of you have tips on how to remove this batteries. The generator is on the way and all the batteries are dual purpose which weight a ton. I know the 2008 and up has the batteries in top of the fresh water tank. Thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Glad I have a 2007! Mine are easy under port drop in storage bin. Is that stock placement?

ogoz23

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Glad I have a 2007! Mine are easy under port drop in storage bin. Is that stock placement?
Yup that's the stock placement. I just don't understand how I would get this out with out damaging something.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Stable feet placement and one hand used for support while the other lifts.

But, if I can make a quick inference that's it's not something you want to do yourself since if it was, you probably would have just done it instead of taking the time to ask on a forum... here's the solution: Hey kid, wanna make $20?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After disconnecting all of the battery cables and wires going to the batteries I'd put flat bladed shovel or something similar underneath one battery at a time which also being careful not to slice or damage the batteries. Then slowly lift each one separately with the shovel, or anything that's flat and has leverage to it, then you can even put a few bricks or something heavy, solid and flat underneath where the battery was so that you don't lose what progress you've gained from prying up. Either by yourself or with the help of a friend you should then have plenty of leverage after lifting and then "cribbing" underneath the battery to be able to lift them out of the area where they are and replace them or do whatever you need to do with them. The same works for gas tanks that have a lot of gas in them or a good deal of weight and when it's an awkward position or you have no grip or whatnot.

ogoz23

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
After disconnecting all of the battery cables and wires going to the batteries I'd put flat bladed shovel or something similar underneath one battery at a time which also being careful not to slice or damage the batteries. Then slowly lift each one separately with the shovel, or anything that's flat and has leverage to it, then you can even put a few bricks or something heavy, solid and flat underneath where the battery was so that you don't lose what progress you've gained from prying up. Either by yourself or with the help of a friend you should then have plenty of leverage after lifting and then "cribbing" underneath the battery to be able to lift them out of the area where they are and replace them or do whatever you need to do with them. The same works for gas tanks that have a lot of gas in them or a good deal of weight and when it's an awkward position or you have no grip or whatnot.
Thank you for the great advise

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hard to tell just how far of a reach that is, but looks like two or 3 feet at least. More than I could pick up at arms length by a long shot.
Disconnect everything. Get a 12 inch wide board, like a bookshelf, that would reach from the seam in that generator casing to about halfway under the battery. Start with the one which lines up the best, tilt the battery back so that you can get the end of the board under it, and try to slide it up on top of the generator, and remove it. Wiggle the next one over up until it lines up, and repeat until they are all out.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
This reminds me never to complain about the battery access on the earlier 330s, despite the list to port they only make worse.. What do you have in the port corner behind the battery switches?

I agree that a 12" shelf board or piece of plywood might make this a slightly easier job.

Make sure to have your shop (or you) load test the batteries before installing. I've only gotten a DOA battery once, but that was enough for me after a similar marine replacement job.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The 270 is also a PIA to remove batteries.
I haven't tried it yet, but I thought about taking a 2x4 and attaching a small pulley to it. Mount the 2x4 under the bottom of the rod holders. One person pulls the rope attached to the battery handle and another swings the battery out.

ogoz23

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
This reminds me never to complain about the battery access on the earlier 330s, despite the list to port they only make worse.. What do you have in the port corner behind the battery switches?

I agree that a 12" shelf board or piece of plywood might make this a slightly easier job.

Make sure to have your shop (or you) load test the batteries before installing. I've only gotten a DOA battery once, but that was enough for me after a similar marine replacement job.
there is nothing there really. Ill try to take a picture, but no brackets to place the batteries.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Battery location looks almost identical to my 305. It is a ridiculous location to wedge them into. I could see if the back fish box was removable, but thats not the case. In my boat I do not think the board idea will work as there is not enough clearance to move them over the generator shroud. I end up having to muscle them out around the sides. You may have to slide them to the right in the picture and muscle them out one by one. Crawling over the generator to unhook them is no picnic either. Dennis's idea of paying a kid $20 is not a bad one.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wow - that's horrific! Far far easier on my 2003 330... On the other hand I'm removing my generator and diesel fuel tank and replacing with an inverter + dedicated battery bank... So my bilge access is about to improve markedly.