To Anti-Foul or Not to Anti-Foul

Reaction score
I have a question for any of you guys regarding whether to apply anti-foul, or not to apply.
I just purchased a 2008 GW225T with a Yamaha F250 in Singapore and am having it transported up to Phuket Thailand,
700NM to the north. For the past 3 years the boat has lived on the racks, out of the water at Raffles Marina in S'pore
when not being used.

Because the boat was never sitting in the warm tropical waters for any extended period of time, the original owner
never had a requirement to apply anti-foul protection. After each use of the boat, it was lifted and washed down with
fresh water, then placed back on the racks. The bottom of the boat is spotless and like new.

In Phuket my situation will be different. I plan to have the boat sitting on the hardstand for 2 months at a time, followed
by 1 month in the water at the local marina. The waters here at N08 deg E98 deg are very warm with lots of run-off
during the SW monsoon May-Oct each year.

I'm wondering what experiences any of you might have had regarding the GW and applying anti-foul protection, ie drop
in performance, having to continually reapply, what type of anti-foul (Hard/Soft) for the local conditions, etc....???
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
If you are going to leave it in the water for a month, you probably need paint. If you are going to take it out for 2 months and then in for a month etc. you probably need a paint that is OK to let dry and rewet without having to reactivate it (this is for ablatives ablatives). Interlux Micron 66 is an example. These paints are not cheap!
Hard paints are OK for your application but tend to build up thickness over time. I suggest you ask some boaters in your local are what they use and if they are happy. If frequent repainting is needed, I would avoid hard coats. If painting is required avert three years or so, hards may be provide less routine maintenance.
For my boating I use a good ablative and retouch every other year, repaint every other year. I leave my boat in for six months and out for 6 months.
As is the case for you now, even with hard or ablative, a good rinse/wash when the boat is hauled will help reduce slime buildup. Avoid strong power washing for ablatives, you can wash the paint off.

Reaction score
Problem solved.............
I've decided to splurge and buy an "Airberth". Have a look at: http://www.airberth.com/gallery.html
The Australian based company have these things manufactured just down the road in Malaysia. Lots of
them around the marinas here in Phuket Thailand. Not cheap at around $15K USD, but over the long
haul, probably worth it.
Ian Mitchell in Phuket
N08 E98