To E-TEC or NOT E-TEC that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
REEL NAUTI said:

Now you're stooping to quote "popular mechanics magazine" as a definitive source of boating info ??? :<>< Wow, you're even more dated than I originally thought.

Maybe you should listen to what the top sales manager and technical rep of Pro-Line boats said about which outboard engine they sold the most of. By the way Pro-Line was one of the few salt water boat manufacturers that offered a choice of the etec as well as other 4S outboards.

"The overwhelming volume is with four stroke."

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... sport.html

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Reactions: dbiscayne

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
The key thing I gleaned is that at cruising - the Evinrude used the least gas and was nearly the same noise level. And that was a Ficht, not an E-TEC. The E-TECs are even quieter as reported here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... -dB-levels

Not according to this test comparing the etec 225 hp to Mercury's 225 hp Optimax.

- At cruise, Mercurys 225 hp OptiMax Pro XS had 24% better mpg with 33 more miles of range than Evinrude E-TEC.

- The Mercury OptiMax Pro XS had superior wide open throttle fuel economy vs. Yamaha HPDI VMAX and Evinrude E-TEC HO.

- At top speed, Mercury OptiMax Pro XS was nearly 6 mph faster than Evinrude E-TEC and over 5 mph faster than Yamaha HPDI VMAX.

And for those of you who think the test was biased, here are some observations and engine performance commentary from third-party test personnel:

- "Mercury won this contest hands down. Yamaha and Evinrude have some catch-up ball to play..., Mercury has another champ on its hands."

John Tiger, Jr. Bass and Walleye Boats

http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deepe ... D=59&Fil...

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
The key thing I gleaned is that at cruising - the Evinrude used the least gas and was nearly the same noise level. And that was a Ficht, not an E-TEC.

Here is yet another test that showed 4Ss get better fuel economy than the etec.

Powerboat Reports magazine tested three identically rigged Wellcraft 232's CC's, one with a Verado 250 hp, a Yamaha F 250, and an e-tec 250.

- At the most common cruising speed of 35 mph the Verado burned 11.6 gph, the F250 burned 11.8 gph, and the etec used the most at 13.9 gph.The etec burned 2.3 gph more than the 4S Verado. With gas on the water costing $ 4.50 + a gallon ( as of this writing ) its going to cost over $ 10 an hour MORE to run the etecs. Put on 100 hours and you just wasted over $ 1,000 on fuel with the etec, and got absolutely nothing for it.

- PBR ranked the Verado first, the F250 second and the etec last because it delivered the worst fuel economy.

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
REEL NAUTI said:

Now you're stooping to quote "popular mechanics magazine" as a definitive source of boating info ??? :<>< Wow, you're even more dated than I originally thought.

Maybe you should listen to what the top sales manager and technical rep of Pro-Line boats said about which outboard engine they sold the most of. By the way Pro-Line was one of the few salt water boat manufacturers that offered a choice of the etec as well as other 4S outboards.

"The overwhelming volume is with four stroke."

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... sport.html

:wow you must have your whole 401k retirement in Yamaha Stock.

The only reason that you see Yamaha outboards on more boats is that Yamaha gives huge incentives to boat builders to use their product. The more you see something the more likely you are to want it. Yamaha is like the " IPhone" of outboards, everyone has one so everyone wants one doesn't mean its a better product.

Get whatever you like!!! People buy cars and rip the mufflers off to put other ones on that are 3 times as loud! Your buying a outbaord for a boat which in my eyes is strictly for pleasure. Only a few percent of boaters actually use boats for means of work or survial. Does the 2 or 3 extra gallons you burn because you have 1992 250 hp Johnson really gonna hurt when your burning 60 gallons ($240) for a day of crusing. If everyone is so worried about saving $$$$ DONT BUY A BOAT!!! Its like the Yahoos in my Marina... they own 50ft Sea Rays ( over $400k) and sit in the marina BBQ'g while at the dock because they dont want to "waste" money on gas. Everyone complains when gas goes up to $4 yet the same complainers have a 34Ft Regulator with Triple 300HP Motors and drive the V12 BMWs.....Gimmie a Break

P.S. Reading this thread made my day at work go by so much faster....Thanks for the entertainment :lol:

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
REEL NAUTI said:
The only reason that you see Yamaha outboards on more boats is that Yamaha gives huge incentives to boat builders to use their product. The more you see something the more likely you are to want it. Yamaha is like the " IPhone" of outboards, everyone has one so everyone wants one doesn't mean its a better product.

Applying your thinking then what prevents Evinrude from offering the same, as you put it "huge incentives", to salt water boat builders to use only their engine then ? Absolutely nothing and they probably already have only to be rejected by those builders because their product is inferior to 4Ss.

Sorry ole timer but like the many testimonials and engine tests I have supplied all clearly demonstrated, 4Ss get significantly better fuel economy, save you ALOT more money on resale, and last much longer than the etec. Those are the true reasons boat builders and the public prefer them over the etec, not any sweetheart "incentives".

Yamaha and Mercury 4S engines even cost more than the etec and yet buyers are still overwhelmingly willing to pay it in order to get a superior engine.

Your seemingly indifference towards the high cost of gas is rather hypocritical seeing how you drive across town to save 5 cents a gallon with your car yet are more than willing to waste $ 1,000 + a year on extra gas for your etec outboard.

You be sure to let me know if you wany any more testimonials or engine tests proving the 4Ss superiority over the etec - I've got lots more.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Southeast,

Good catch on that one. I missed the invention date by a decade or so - late 1800s v. 1910. Glad you were able to catch me on that grave error. Perhaps I should have stated he invented the outboard during the end of the Victorian area. Would that have satisfied your excellency? Still no comment on why my Evinrude Ocean Pro is still running strong?

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
mboyatt said:
Southeast,
Still no comment on why my Evinrude Ocean Pro is still running strong?

Funny but I don't recall the original posters question having anything to do with how your outdated engine is running. You see my responses directly answer his question and I don't waste my time with people like you who are so insecure they can't stand to hear anything critical said about something as insignificant in their life as their old outboard engine.

But I will be happy to reward your failed effort at antagonizing me by supplying more facts that directly answer the OPs question so he and others can make up their own minds about what engine is best for them.

One more testimonial from someone that switched from etecs to 4Ss Verados and got 25% better fuel economy.

- "I've had 08' 150 Verados for about two months now. (switched from 06' 150 hp Etec's) Very impressed with the fuel burn, average 2.0 mpg. This is on a 25' working vessel that is used every day. The Etec's had 1.6 average mpg."

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... hp-ad.html

And here's a poll taken that showed ( as of this writing ) boaters prefer 4Ss over the etec by an over 6 to 1 margin, 84 % vs 13.82 %.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... 237-a.html

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
mboyatt said:
Southeast,
Still no comment on why my Evinrude Ocean Pro is still running strong?

One more testimonial from someone that switched from etecs to 4Ss Verados and got 25% better fuel economy.

- "I've had 08' 150 Verados for about two months now. (switched from 06' 150 hp Etec's) Very impressed with the fuel burn, average 2.0 mpg. This is on a 25' working vessel that is used every day. The Etec's had 1.6 average mpg."

Southeast why is it you are always giving examples of other people and their motors when we are stating facts on our personal motors and what we are getting out of them.
We know Yamaha makes good outboards and so does the other outboard companys but you will not let anyone have an adult disscusion on here without your wrecking the thread. You really need to try and get a life beyond the bash E-tec keyboard. If you would ever come on a thread and give a little constructive comments people would have more respect for you. As of now even if you were to make a valid post it is taken with a grain of salt.
I for one will not read any more of your threads or post.
Thanks for nothing!

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
Southeast why is it you are always giving examples of other people and their motors when we are stating facts on our personal motors and what we are getting out of them.
We know Yamaha makes good outboards and so does the other outboard companys but you will not let anyone have an adult disscusion on here without your wrecking the thread. You really need to try and get a life beyond the bash E-tec keyboard. If you would ever come on a thread and give a little constructive comments people would have more respect for you. As of now even if you were to make a valid post it is taken with a grain of salt.
I for one will not read any more of your threads or post.
Thanks for nothing!

Why do I provide facts ? Because the OP asked: "Has anyone heard good.... bad..... anything.... about the new Evinrude E-Tec motors should I get one? That answer your question ? I nor anyone else don't need your permission either.

Your comments clearly demonstrate for everyone to see that you just can't stand to hear the true facts about your etec, it's as simple as that.

You have nothing to refute the many testimonials, which in fact were written by other people, so you go low class and off topic and attack me for merely providing them which directly answered the OPs question. Got a problem with what they wrote, take it up with them ! But you can't disprove anything they said, so you come after me. How small of you.

I was hoping someone older like yourself would of learned enough life lessons by now to be bigger than that but obviously you've shown us you simply never grew enough in life. What poor lessons you are teaching your grandchildren.

I should let you know it's personal attacks from people just like you that actually keep me very motivated towards providing facts and testimonials which directly answer OPs questions about the etec.

No need to thank me as I believe in letting people make up their own minds about what is best for them, even if immature people like you somehow felt insulted in the process.

And in the future please follow the forums rules and stay on topic and avoid personal attacks. We're all hear to learn something and share knowledge and your personal attack contributed nothing to that.

mboyatt

Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
Funny but I don't recall the original posters question having anything to do with how your outdated engine is running. You see my responses directly answer his question and I don't waste my time with people like you who are so insecure they can't stand to hear anything critical said about something as insignificant in their life as their old outboard engine.

Insecure about a motor that has given almost 20 years of service? Insecure because one of the outboards I own is an evinrude? Keep on bashing the brand - it is quite comical. As I have stated before, I have owned yamahas and had no major issues. You simply like to bloviate, so by all means...... :mrgreen:

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
Hey guy's, do we have any members here that happen to work in the mental health profession? If so I would sure like to hear your opinions of what might be the root cause of a couple of what I would call "internet personality disorders" that I see quite often on various boating forums. The first one is directly related to the E-TEC line of motors and any discussion about them. These discussions always draw out 1 or 2 people that freely admit to having no personal experience and yet they feel compelled to troll the internet ready to jump in and dominate the discussion. What these 1 or 2 people seem to have in common is a bizarre and and may I say, nearly unhinged hatred for a product they don't own and never will.
I actually feel sorry for these types as this cannot be normal or healthy behavior.

The second thing, and it appears to be closely related to the first, is the childish need of these 1 or 2 people to have the last word in any discussion involving E-TEC motors. What's up with that? Anyways, as I said earlier, I would be most anxious to hear if anyone has a professional opinion about what might cause these disorders. :?

PS: Just a note to SoutheastFL/Dan.
I know you are very thin skinned and can be quick to see offense where none was intended. Please be assured my curiosity here is in no way a personal attack and is not directed towards your "contributions" to these discussions. :wink:

mboyatt

Reaction score
Interesting thread on thehulltruth. Positive vibes for all the major outboards. As it should be. Interesting that E-tec v yamaha creates such drama.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
CatTwentyTwo said:
Hey guy's, do we have any members here that happen to work in the mental health profession? If so I would sure like to hear your opinions of what might be the root cause of a couple of what I would call "internet personality disorders" that I see quite often on various boating forums. The first one is directly related to the E-TEC line of motors and any discussion about them. These discussions always draw out 1 or 2 people that freely admit to having no personal experience and yet they feel compelled to troll the internet ready to jump in and dominate the discussion. What these 1 or 2 people seem to have in common is a bizarre and and may I say, nearly unhinged hatred for a product they don't own and never will.
I actually feel sorry for these types as this cannot be normal or healthy behavior.

The second thing, and it appears to be closely related to the first, is the childish need of these 1 or 2 people to have the last word in any discussion involving E-TEC motors. What's up with that? Anyways, as I said earlier, I would be most anxious to hear if anyone has a professional opinion about what might cause these disorders. :?

PS: Just a note to SoutheastFL/Dan.
I know you are very thin skinned and can be quick to see offense where none was intended. Please be assured my curiosity here is in no way a personal attack and is not directed towards your "contributions" to these discussions. :wink:

What a truly assinine response that once again does NOT directly answer the OPs question for the simple reason that you have NOTHING to contribute so you once again go low class and make it personal.

- Where are all your fuel tests and testimonials that show the etec gets better fuel economy than the many I provided that show 4Ss actually do ? You don't have any

-Where is your equivalent of Angers Edge Marine, a broker that sells over 700 boats a year, to disprove his "etec is the kiss of death" quote ? You don't have any.

- Where are your over two dozen salt water boat builders who don't install 4Ss exclusively but use only the etec instead ? You don't have any.

- Where are your four salt water custom boat manufacturers like Yellowfin, SeaVee, Intrepid, and Nortech that install the etec on the vast majority of boats they build, instead of only 4Ss like they all currently do ? ( and all with order backlogs as well ) ? You don't have any.

- Where is your factory sales and technical support rep from a company like I supplied in Pro-Line, which even offered a choice of the etec and 4S engines, to disprove what he said that the "overwhelming volume of boats get built with 4Ss" ? You don't have any.

- Where is your poll to disprove the one that I supplied that shows boaters prefer 4Ss over the etec by an over 6 to 1 margin ? You don't have any.

- Where is your testimonial from the USCG to disprove they've put on over 10,000 trouble free hours on their Honda 4Ss ? You don't have any.

- Where are the many commercial owners of etecs that have put on 5,000 to 8,000 hours of use, just like the ones I've supplied from Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda 4Ss owners that have ? You don't have any.

- Where is your etec owners manual where it says if the engine is used in salt water it doesn't require annual maintenance just like the one that I supplied that says it does ? You don't have any.

If you're so smart and know so much better - show us your facts to disprove all these.

Nah, not you. You have nothing to contribute to the OP so you come on here and run your big mouth. Maybe you are the one that should take a serious look in the mirror and ask yourself what causes you to not directly answer the OPs question but instead make personal attacks and break the forums rules. Your behavior actually proves you're the one with the "mental health issue."

We're all waiting for your facts - Do you have the guts to stay on topic, or are you just going to run your big mouth and contribute your usual personal attacks and show us once again what a coward really sounds like.

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
E-TECs ARE THE BEST MOTORS IN THE WORLD!!!!!!! YAMAHAS ARE THE WORST!!!!!

:nicethread :praise

mboyatt

Reaction score
FloridaDan, a.k.a. SoutheastFl, just can't help himself. The anointed one has spoken. We defer to your excellency. Please, continue to bloviate. Sad thing is, the poster - GradyDriver - failed to thank you for imparting your knowledge. I wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.