To fat or bad design? Maybe Both!

JRuss282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
5 years into owning my 2002 282 Sailfish I have come to the conclusion the Pilot & Co Pilot Or Captains chair and my wife chair are to close together. Every time we move from stern of boat up the step and pass through going to the galley or to be in the helm area we get caught on the arm rest for either chair. Not sure if they were all mounted the same, swivel seat with forward and aft adjustment and arm rest both sides. I like the boat I do not like this.

I am considering removing seat and taking off adding washers to fill the void or cut with saw underneath seat.

Any thoughts?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just about everyone with a walk around style boat has the same complaint. Most of the GW seats have armrests that are bolted to the bottom of the seats. Not really clear what the solution is that you are proposing, but I would start with removing one arm rest at a time, until I had enough room to pass through.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can:
cut the arms off inbound - it is the easiest.
replace the helm seat with a small leaning post.
look for a companion seat and replace the passenger seat.
Get two new narrower seats
Trade for a Marlin - better but not optimal.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

seasick

Reaction score
Over time the fiberglass dries out from years in the elements. That makes it shrink and the boat gets narrower.
Feel better?
Now about that bridge I have for sale:)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can:
cut the arms off inbound - it is the easiest.
replace the helm seat with a small leaning post.
look for a companion seat and replace the passenger seat.
Get two new narrower seats
Trade for a Marlin - better but not optimal.
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but I’ve got the pompanette seats on my boat as well… do the armrests have to be cut off or do they unbolt from the bottom of the seat as well? I quickly looked at the bottom of the drivers seat the other day and I didn’t see any mounting hardware under there, so does the seat have to be removed completely or the armrests cut off? Thanks!

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This drives me crazy. I had an Islander before my 282 with the companion bench and no prob. I’d love to swap the passenger chair for the bench and be over this issue.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
My 246 has the same issue... I think it shrunk..... LOL! seriously considering removing the arm rests also.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe they can be removed with some disassembly but if you only want to remove the inbound arm, you would have to cut.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Exact same boat, same problem, I'm not a big guy. Constant hassle and my #1 irritation with this boat. This boat is of course a compromise as all boats are, they do a lot of things well, nothing great imo, there's always a tradeoff. I do go forward and use the bow of my boat all the time, so I like having the recessed walkway. My armrests are covered with a slicker vinyl over the rubber that doesn't grab your shirt, that's been the best fix for me beyond removing anything. Cheap, easy, and can always undo it.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seasick comments……as well as the hull shrinkage, there is always the issue of the Captain ‘bulking up’…….not saying that happens to everyone but I have experienced that phenomenon.