To repower or not...2004 282 with dual Yamaha F225"s

Mike LaCroix

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am looking for opinion's.
I have 2004 Grady White 282 Sailfish that is in decent shape and the 2004 Yamaha F255"s are concerning me. Both exhaust mid sections have been replaced but I'm still experiencing water coming out of the upper vent in the mid section and lots of bubbles coming from around where the cavitation plate area is. I think it's possible that the exhaust is leaking from between where the exhaust leaves the power head and it enters the exhaust. This surface is pitted. I assumed a new gasket would seal the area but now I don't think it is and I'm sot sure if I'm doing damage to the powerhead.
I guess my questions are to repair the mating surface with J.B. Weld or Locktite 2000, find a compatible used engine in good shape or repower.
I priced out repowering-$70,000 with everything (two engines and controls, Yamaha 225's or 250"s)
Please respond.
Thank you.

Reactions: Legend

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’d sell your F225s while they are running well, take videos, offer test runs and get YDIS readouts. They are valuable to the right buyer. Keep your controls if price sensitive and repower with new F250s. I sold 1200 hour F250s running great and repowered with F300. Market is not what it was, but my net cost was less than $30k. I’d be concerned with block corrosion around the thermostats, etc. If you decide to keep them pull the thermostats and use a borescope to inspect what you can. Good luck!

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Sadly, I'm in the same situation you are...but one of mine needs work. If both of mine were running, I'd not be repowering right now.

My dealer did mention that one could get the new 250's and use with manual controls, which is a significant savings.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Shop Zuke or Honda 250s with electronic controls for at least $20k less. If you are really budget sensitive go Tohatsu. They are mechanical Hondas and can be attained for under $50k if you know where to look. They will be similar in weight to what you have now, more powerful, more efficient, and equally reliable to the f250/300. The df250/300ap will also have a much smaller footprint than the Yamaha or Hondas.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Tough decision. A lot depends on the condition of the rest of the boat. If pristine and it's the right boat for your needs, my opinion is to go for it. Price check a new one, it will make you feel better!

Reactions: family affair

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've found Suzuki DF250AP's elsewhere throughout the country for less than $20k, which have the digital throttle controls and so forth. I'd much rather spend $40k if I were in the same boat as you, as opposed to $70k for Yamaha's. Also, are those the mechanical Yamaha's or fly by wire? If mechanical, then you're going to be spending even more for their fly by wire versions. I believe ItalianAngler has the same boat and is in the process of doing a complete repower for his boat, mentioned in another thread. I'm sure he'd be a fantastic resource to ask any questions to.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am looking for opinion's.
I have 2004 Grady White 282 Sailfish that is in decent shape and the 2004 Yamaha F255"s are concerning me. Both exhaust mid sections have been replaced but I'm still experiencing water coming out of the upper vent in the mid section and lots of bubbles coming from around where the cavitation plate area is. I think it's possible that the exhaust is leaking from between where the exhaust leaves the power head and it enters the exhaust. This surface is pitted. I assumed a new gasket would seal the area but now I don't think it is and I'm sot sure if I'm doing damage to the powerhead.
I guess my questions are to repair the mating surface with J.B. Weld or Locktite 2000, find a compatible used engine in good shape or repower.
I priced out repowering-$70,000 with everything (two engines and controls, Yamaha 225's or 250"s)
Please respond.
Thank you.
I repowered couple of years ago with F250's 4.2L and the the price with install was 50K. My original quote was around 65K bc that included new electronic shifting gauges etc. They do have a mechanical 4.2L f250 that uses existing controls and gauges - great option for repower - the electronic version is nice to have but not for 15K extra

Reactions: Peter A