To upgrade engines or Not to upgrade this is the question!

Meanwhile

Reaction score
What fuel consumption did you see and what was the most efficient RPM/fuel consumption combination?
She is thirsty, using 4 blade props she got 1.0 to nautical mile. I ran at 4200-4600 most often, could usually not go faster in the ocean.

EJS1231

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I went from a boat with 2s to a Marlin with 2005 250 4S. Just the ease of starting and lack of noise and fumes would be enough for me to make the change. My whole family appreciates the quieter and no smoke experience. Cruising at 4200 RMP, I get about 1.3 MPG.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went from a boat with 2s to a Marlin with 2005 250 4S. Just the ease of starting and lack of noise and fumes would be enough for me to make the change. My whole family appreciates the quieter and no smoke experience. Cruising at 4200 RMP, I get about 1.3 MPG.
Agreed. My uncle's previous boat was a mid 1990's Trophy that had twin Mercury 175 two strokes on the back of it, of which it was louder and they smoked quite a bit. The noise was something that I could deal with but the smell and the exhaust was quite bad at times, even being in an open environment you'd start to get a headache if you were out for over 2-3 hours. Comparatively, 4 stroke motors are typically so quiet at idle that you might not even know that they're turned on and they typically don't smoke hardly at all. I always look for a boat with 4 stroke motors on it instead of having to repower or swap out motors as it's usually much more cost effective in doing so at the start. That being said, if the cost to upgrade was negligible or there isn't any cost at all, I'd definitely go for it.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello everyone the cost is zero because they came on a boat that was used in freshwater. If I scope and all looks good I would swap them out and sell the boat 1 boat is enough for me. I really wanted 4.2L motors so holding out is an option. 4.2's are coming up for sale used market more often now. They are lighter and more fuel efficient. I can't justify brand new motors for this year boat. I'm trying to justify all the work for fuel efficiency gain of .3 mpg I get 1.1mpg now.
Also factor in the savings from not buying and burning 2 stroke oil, the environment will appreciate you for that. I was looking for my last boat about 15 years ago and one with a 2 stroke that was for sale was idling at the dock, a Yamaha 130hp, there was a cloud of smoke around the boat, I made my mind up instantly to look for a 4 stroke, easy decision

Reactions: Mustang65fbk