Toilet Flushing

fellinger

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Sailfish 27 with manual head. The boat is new to me but, when I got it the head was working. I could pump the handle and the bowl would flush. The other week I had the holding tank pumped out and I filled the freshwater tank. Now when I go to flush the toilet the contents from the bowl will be moved from the bowl but, it doesn't seem like I am getting any water into the bowl. Once pumped out do theses systems need to be primed somehow?

Thanks,

Fred

the.devo

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Saifish 272 and the marine head uses saltwater. The seacock is accessed thru the hole in the cabin floor at the bottom of the stairs. On the 2000, the starboard seacock is water in, the port seacock is for discharge outside the 3 mile line.

fellinger

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Both stopcocks are open. It is now nice to know which each one does. Any other ideas?

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is this the Groco toilet? If so, it has a lever that switches from flush to dry-bowl. It needs to be in the flush position to draw water. The dry position empties the tank without drawing water. The trick is that when you are finished using the boat at the end of the day, leave the lever in the normal flush position rather then the dry position. Otherwise, the valve seems to develop a memory and stay in the dry position if the boat sits for any period of time. If after leaving in the normal flush position for a week it still doesn't draw water, order the Groco HF Regular Service Kit for ~ $62 and follow the instructions

fellinger

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
Is this the Groco toilet? If so, it has a lever that switches from flush to dry-bowl. It needs to be in the flush position to draw water. The dry position empties the tank without drawing water. The trick is that when you are finished using the boat at the end of the day, leave the lever in the normal flush position rather then the dry position. Otherwise, the valve seems to develop a memory and stay in the dry position if the boat sits for any period of time. If after leaving in the normal flush position for a week it still doesn't draw water, order the Groco HF Regular Service Kit for ~ $62 and follow the instructions

Thanks. I think it is the Groco toilet. There is a stop cock lever next to the flush lever. It is hard to read the directions due to its age but, I believe in the vertical position it is wet flush and horizontal it is dry flush. I have tried both way and don't seem to get a draw of water any longer. The waste will be removed from the bowl but, no water flow regardless of the lever position. Maybe a rebuild kit is in order.