Toilet for 2005 seafarer 228

Ptracy

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi
I bought a 2005 seafarer 228 the toilet wasn’t present in the boat when purchased would love to get one but not sure of the make and model that came with boat
Can anyone help with this problem
Thanks in advance
Thanks
Pete

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I have a porta-potty and I think it's a waste. I'd be just as happy with a 5 gallon bucket. You can make a seat out of some plywood. Personally, unless the boat is really rolling around, I just piss over the edge. I know a guy (hey David!) who married so well, his wife squats on the swim platform and pees (that's a keeper in my book, she's a trooper!).

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is the attaching hardware there? Is it a pump-out or just a regular porta-potty?

Mine came with a portepotty that has hoses coming into the base of the cuddy then go to a Y valve and a deck mounted pump out on the starboard side. Also mine has a macerator pump. That's alot of plumbing for a portepotty. You'd see the hoses if you have them in the starboard storage area under the cuddy cushions.

I thought I wanted this too but never go around a pumpout so I make everyone use the bucket.

• Haha
Reactions: Ryhlick

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had the port a pot and macerator with overboard discharge. I gutted all mine out and had all the holes filled in the hull. Rather have the storage over the pot. I've still got a bucket on board but if it's a bunch of guys, hang it over the side. The admiral will get on the swim platform and ladder to go if it's just me and her, otherwise she'll go below and use the bucket. Nothing to deal with and no strange smells weeks down the road when you forgot someone had used the potty.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd either take luckydude's advice, install a self contained porta potty for the women only or go with a manual pump. The latter requires a holding tank, plumbing and thru hulls so unless that stuff is already there, I'd be going with option 1 or 2.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the porta potty but have yet to use it. I make sure my daughter and wife go before coming on as I don’t want to get stuck cleaning it. Think it’s more of a piece of mind having it.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd either take luckydude's advice, install a self contained porta potty for the women only or go with a manual pump. The latter requires a holding tank, plumbing and thru hulls so unless that stuff is already there, I'd be going with option 1 or 2.

Well actually the holding tank is the port a pot, no external tank. I think it's about 2 gallons. I do have the option of pushing a button and pumping overboard. But Yes, it would cost alot to install all of that, I'd go with a $110 portapot if you want the basic function.

bFransen

Reaction score
For something that's used very rarely, the porta pot with built in holding tank is the way to go. No sense overthinking the situation.

If, for some reason, someone really blows up the porta pot, you also have the option of throwing the whole thing out. I'm not joking, it's a nice option. Plus, your boat plumbing can't be clogged by feminine products... The more I think about it, there are so many reasons to stick with the simple porta pot.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just gutted mine out of my 2005. Lmk I you want all the pumps and hoses lol. Just get a 5 gallon bucket imo

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
To maximize space even more I would say 2 words....

Big Gulp ;)

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

BoatDad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not sure what the original name brand is, but I've got a porta poti on my 228G (no plumbing/pumps, etc). It's great to have around with small kids and ladies. I keep a box of the tank conditioner on board and some fresh water in the tank and have never had a problem with any smell. We only use it in emergencies but its easy enough to empty into a toilet when it is used. This is pretty close to what is on mine: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Toilet...?ref_=ws_cp_b8721ac7219a30420d00_p_6_i_p&th=1

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
i had a porta pot on my old 97 228G. It came in handy as an EMERGENCY option for my kids a couple of times. I hosed it out when we got back after discarding the 'contents'. It wouldn't mess with any plumbing, just get that if you want to have that option, as others have mentioned if it becomes truly hateful you can toss it and get a new one.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think GW has mostly used Sealand/SaniPottie/Dometic portable toilets. They come with 2 sizes of holding tanks, roughly 2.5 and 5 gallon, which affects the overall height, therefore, you have to make sure your cushions will lay flat if you choose the larger size.
Mine is fully plumbed, like PNWDrifter, but we go in the ocean almost every trip, so dumping some urine is no big deal, but no one has used it, yet. The thing about being plumbed, is that it takes away the option of emptying by hand, because the holding tank is what is plumped to the boat.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 1999 Seafarer has the macerator pump and shoots everything out the side, no holding tank, the way I look at it is that fish pee in the water so my wife and kids can use the toilet. I use the pee grid aka swim grid, works awesome.

SuskyMike

Reaction score
We have a Thetford 100 series porta potti in our '98 228. Nice to have for the wife/kids, and it takes about 5 minutes to empty, clean and refill every other month or so. Half bottle of aqua-chem each time I fill it up, and it's odor and problem free. Making your gals hang off the side... I guess chivalry is dead. :D