Toilet

Morella

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2014 275 freedom want to winterize jabsco type 111 waste system with model 29120-3000 toilet does the tank need to be full for overboard pump to come on and is there a published procedure to winterize

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't believe so. Open the valve, power the circuit via the panel and either turn the key or the switch. You may have to hold the switch/key on as the tank should auto shut off when close to empty.

Morella

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Thank you will fill it up it’s water and give it a try , then do it again with rv guard if it works

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Holding tanks never need to be full to pump them out. They can be pumped out at any time.

You shouldn't need to put any AF into the holding tank. Any little bit of effluent left will not cause a problem when it freezes. The macerator won't need any AF, either as running it dry for a few seconds will evacuate any water. Just check your lines - look for any low spots.

Not sure if you have raw water feeding the head or fresh water, but any standing water in the toilet or lines should be evacuated. If there's any low spots (or if you have a fresh water system with a pump), then address that with AF.

There's not much to it - heads are a simple system.

Morella

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Thanks fish tales , filled it up and pumped out with rv guard for winter system ,has a low level safety to prevent pump from running dry

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not that AF costs much, but as I mentioned above, it's completely useless to put AF into a holding tank and then pump it out. All that needs to be done is to do a couple pumps out with water a few times to flush the tank.

Morella

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Thanks dennisgo1 , next year that is what I will do . Ex submarine sailor check and double check everything to a fault

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks dennisgo1 , next year that is what I will do . Ex submarine sailor check and double check everything to a fault

Definitely nothing "wrong" with doing that - certainly can't hurt. I guess you have to be a "little bit" more careful when you're hundreds of feet underwater in a tin can! ;)

Fishtales

Reaction score
I know my dealer pumps it down and then puts AF down the bowl and into the holding tank. Cheap insurance for us in the cold weather.... Glad to see it worked out.

seasick

Reaction score
Holding tanks never need to be full to pump them out. They can be pumped out at any time.

You shouldn't need to put any AF into the holding tank. Any little bit of effluent left will not cause a problem when it freezes. The macerator won't need any AF, either as running it dry for a few seconds will evacuate any water. Just check your lines - look for any low spots.

Not sure if you have raw water feeding the head or fresh water, but any standing water in the toilet or lines should be evacuated. If there's any low spots (or if you have a fresh water system with a pump), then address that with AF.

There's not much to it - heads are a simple system.
On my 'other' boat I can't see if there are dips in the plumbing lines. So I add RV antifreeze to the bowl and pump it into the holding tank. If the boat is out of the water, you can also flush the toilet to suck out any water in the feed line, leaving the seacock open. If the boat is in the water I don't know a sure method other than close the seacock, disconnect the feed hose at the seacock and flush the toilet to suck the water out of the line.

I know that some water in the bilge is generally not a freeze risk except for the pumps. Maybe it makes no difference but I will pour some antifreeze into the mid ship and rear bilges.