Tongue weight for gulfstream

epuente

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Question on tongue weight - for my 232 Gulfstream my tongue weight is low, about 350lbs. I am looking to double that for more stability and less sway. Does anyone have experience with how far to move my stanchion forward to gain the weight? I can go about 6 inches forward, but not sure if that will be too much, or not enough. Anyone else do this? Thanks in advance!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
6 inches will certainly make a difference - but I'm not sure there's a way to say exactly how much it will change things.. The other option is to move your axles. You probably won't need the full 700lbs - boat trailer manufacturer's recommend 5% to 7%.

epuente

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
6 inches will certainly make a difference - but I'm not sure there's a way to say exactly how much it will change things.. The other option is to move your axles. You probably won't need the full 700lbs - boat trailer manufacturer's recommend 5% to 7%.

Thank you, Dennis

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're probably already doing this, but make sure the trailer frame is level by using the proper ball mount. If it's not level, you'll get an imbalance of weight distribution on the axles.

epuente

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Yes glad you mentioned that! My ball mount on the Tahoe was too low - didn’t notice until I got the boat home. I raised it and now it’s level, so hopefully that helps. I will do some test rides over the next month or so. My local mechanic also mentioned tow bars that are made to help with stability and eliminate swaying.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Also, when you are weighing the tongue weight, be sure you're doing it with the trailer frame level - otherwise your weight will not be accurate. Are you taking it to a scale or are you doing the at-home method with a bathroom scale and wood?

They're called "anti-sway bars". If your trailer has surge brakes, you just have to make sure they are adjusted 100% spot on or the brakes won't work properly. If you have EOH, then it's easier.

seasick

Reaction score
What was swaying the most, the trailer or the vehicle? In cases where the tongue weight is too large, the front vehicle tires loose grip and that can lead to instability of the vehicle. If the tongue weight is too low, it will make the trailer unstable on a twin axle setup.
If the hull is too far back it can put too much load on the rear axle of the trailer. That can cause instability. I assume you have a twin axle trailer. How many and what model motor(s)?
I am curious how you measured the tongue weight,
Center of load for that hull is about 88 inches forward of the transom. Measure that distance and see where that point falls relative to the axles. Ideally, you want the center of load a bit forward of the axle to axle centerline. That is what creates the tongue force. Of course , a bracket will shift the center of load so the measurement is not perfect.
Also check that the trailer is sized correctly for the hull, not just load rating but transom to bow eye measurement. Too long a trailer can be a problem as can too short a trailer.

epuente

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Also, when you are weighing the tongue weight, be sure you're doing it with the trailer frame level - otherwise your weight will not be accurate. Are you taking it to a scale or are you doing the at-home method with a bathroom scale and wood?

They're called "anti-sway bars". If your trailer has surge brakes, you just have to make sure they are adjusted 100% spot on or the brakes won't work properly. If you have EOH, then it's easier.

I am using a tongue weight scale that my marina owner let me borrow - and yes it was level, but I will make sure of that when I re-weigh it. Thank you!

epuente

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
What was swaying the most, the trailer or the vehicle? In cases where the tongue weight is too large, the front vehicle tires loose grip and that can lead to instability of the vehicle. If the tongue weight is too low, it will make the trailer unstable on a twin axle setup.
If the hull is too far back it can put too much load on the rear axle of the trailer. That can cause instability. I assume you have a twin axle trailer. How many and what model motor(s)?
I am curious how you measured the tongue weight,
Center of load for that hull is about 88 inches forward of the transom. Measure that distance and see where that point falls relative to the axles. Ideally, you want the center of load a bit forward of the axle to axle centerline. That is what creates the tongue force. Of course , a bracket will shift the center of load so the measurement is not perfect.
Also check that the trailer is sized correctly for the hull, not just load rating but transom to bow eye measurement. Too long a trailer can be a problem as can too short a trailer.

thanks for the tips especially about measuring from the transom. The trailer is a brand new venture VATB8025. It’s a little bigger, but was recommended based on potential weight if I have a full tank of fuel, etc (I won’t tow long distance with a full tank or heavy items). The trailer was swaying and not the front of the vehicle (Tahoe 2017 with tow package). Boat has twin 150’s. I haven’t found a weigh station near me just yet, but will find one soon just for reference.

ACFCE146-04B3-403C-9FE6-0A15F67DF51E.jpeg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just looking at it, I don't think you're too far off. I think it's a good guesstimate that 6" would do it.

Just a heads up - and I don't mean this in any way to put down your choice of trailer, but the place I work at used to sell them and we stopped a while ago due to too many quality issues. Some were fine, but the number of incidences was way too high. Just keep on eye on things real well - even things like drastically pooer/unenven tire wear - especially while you're under warranty.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hard to tell from the shadows, of how much overhang off the bunks you have, if any. Be careful moving to much forward, you could be getting into the brace with the bow of the boat.

IMG_2152.JPG

seasick

Reaction score
I am a bit concerned about that trailer. Venture specs it for a 25-26 foot hull, and that is 2 foot longer on the low end for your hull. As mentioned, it doesn't seem like you have much room to move the hull forward, because of the cross member as mentioned but also the relative position of the transom and the bunks. Typically, the transom would be a bit past the end of the bunks. Moving the axels back might do it, but that may be a big task. After you confirm total weight and then desired tongue weight, I would call Venture Trailers and talk to an engineer for advice.

Reactions: epuente

Bumpye

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my Gulfstream. I determined my tongue weight to about 500 lbs. About 8500 lbs total weight boat and trailer, full gas and freshwater tanks. Single 225 may account for the difference. I moved the winch post forward about 2". Couldn't go any further or the bunks would have extended beyond the transom. My local trailer shop told me to make SURE the trailer is level or slightly less. He also said in 35 years of business, he has only installed anti way bars a couple of times and it was for customers going across the country. Anything above level will create a lot of sway. I also considered moving the axles, but it doesn't appear that I have enough room. My plan is to purchase a trailer hitch from Weigh Safe with the adjustable height option. If you're not familiar with them, they have a tongue weight gauge built into the hitch/ball assembly.

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Just purchased a 2015 Freedom 225 and had to do a few iterations of moving the boat forward as well. Problem was with the engine mounted on the aluminum swim platform, it’s probably more like the overall length of this boat in question. Ended up pushing all the way forward as possible and got 480lbs tongue weight on an overall rig of 6340lbs with trailer. Went to the cat scales at loves gas station. Very easy to weigh two weights, one with just trailer tires on scale while hooked to vehicle and another with boat off of vehicle, difference in weights is the tongue weight. In picture, boat is in final position and I had marine cut off extra bunk length after pic was taken.9DF229DA-4A0E-412E-AB0F-564FD3ED5265.jpeg

seasick

Reaction score
Couldn't you have moved the bunks forward a bit instead of cutting them shorter?

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Wouldn’t have made a difference because the hull shape goes upwards forward of where the bunks are so boat would never touch.