Took the boat out today...

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It was a beautiful, sunny day today here at the river tho' the wind made it a bit chilly. Had to take the boat out for a ride. I've learned to really pump the primer bulb until it can't be squeezed any more. The boat started right up but of course, laid down the usual blue smoke screen that would rival a WWII destroyer.

We got about 7 miles down river and the only other boat we saw turned out to be the Coast Guard and, of course, they stopped and boarded us. No problems from the inspection and had a delightful visit with the guys. They have a new system where they enter all the info into a wireless device larger than a cell phone but smaller than a Blackberry device using a stylus. In dead calm conditions, it took at least a half hour for them to enter everything and give us the print out.

When the coasties boarded us last August it was in very rough conditions. I mentioned it to today's boarders and commented that it is going to be hell using this system in such conditions. The young man said he wasn't looking forward to those conditions and another said they've been discussing ways to stabilize the device and stylus. I fear it's going to be a very trying process (slowwww) for all involved.

Spring is definitely knocking on the door. Today we had lots of gulls hitting the surface of the river and lots of fishing jumping. Crocus are blooming, Daffodils are coming up, lots of birds in the area.... it's a great time of the year. Plus, I learned today that daylight savings time returns next weekend. Yahoo!!! (Guess I've ben living under a rock).

Gary 89 Overnighter

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Catching!

gwwannabe! Hello from NW FL. I guess spring fever is catching on. I managed to get JUMPNJACK out for a test flight this afternoon. All systems go and wishing for fishing! 8)

Bama96

Reaction score
Got my new to me 06' 225 out yesterday as well. First time out since I bought her. Picked her up from the dealer and what do you know both batteries were dead. :evil: Pulled them out and made a quick trip for two fresh ones. Got them hooked up and the boat ran flawlessly. Ran her for about 4 hours. Man I am ready to go fishing! :D Spring fever has hit.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I would enjoy an early shakedown myself, but the iced over lake precludes it.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's low 70s here today and I might just have to do the same thing. This winter has been so long and brutal (by our standards) I'm looking forward to spring so much more than usual.

jellyfish

Reaction score
been out the last two Saturdays and its been nice! no fish yet but better days are coming!! :lol:

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
Strikezone said:
It's low 70s here today and I might just have to do the same thing. This winter has been so long and brutal (by our standards) I'm looking forward to spring so much more than usual.

Thats just not right! I am in FL and we havent seen 70 degrees since Dec. I call foul......

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You Southerners are so lucky!

My slip doesn't even open until May 1st. 51 days until the boat goes in. I hope this May is nicer then last year. It was a crappy rainy windy month. I bought my Grady in mid September and it came out in late October so I'm itching to get it in the water. Only got to put 40 hours on the clock. This year I'm hoping for atleast 100. In New York we have a six month season unless you have your own slip or dock at a private marina. :(

We also pay alot more for docking then you guys in the warmer climates.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Many years ago I boated in CT and we had the long wait to get the bigger boats in the water. We started the SCUBA season on Easter Sunday (unless it came late) but that was from trailerable boats. Water usually was around 35 degrees and none of us had dry suits, just custom wet suits. I could last about an hour but hands, feet and lips would be numb. Last dive of the year was usually New Years day.

It's overcast right now (noon) but it's in the upper 60s and the river is smooth as glass. I'd love to take the boat out but I've got stuff I have to do. Responsibility sucks at times.

Gary 89 Overnighter

VinMan

Reaction score
I guess we're spoiled down here in South Florida. We went out last week and caught the first Dolphin of 2010, fresh mahi mahi. It's gonna be a great spring!!!