Topping Up Bennett Trim Tab Oil

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all,

Recently stumbled upon the electric motor to my Bennett trim tabs. The oil level looks low. I don't see a fill-spot, so am wondering if I should remove the upper unit to access the lower? Anyone else done this before? I've written to Bennett, but have not yet received a reply.

Attachments

• IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 588

Rangoonb

Reaction score
Look right behind the silver cylinder and you will see a black plastic/rubber plug that can just barely be reached. Remove it and that is the fill port. I use a syringe to add fluid. It's not east but don't separate the top from the bottom.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep, looking at your pic, the fill is the thing sticking up just on the left side of the pump, remove the cap and use a syringe to add transmission fluid. Sorry if that wasn't a technical description. :shock:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On my pump the filler cap is right beside the pump after you remove the clear plastic cover. It is a small round black cap about the size of a nickel. It just lifts out, no threads. I can see yours in the picture right below the red wire.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks everyone. Very glad I asked.

Also, the plastic oil well says that I should use automatic transmission fluid. Are they all equally good, or does anyone have advice on the best type to use?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Any ATF is fine. Are your trim tabs currently extended? The level will be lower when they are. When filling, tabs need to be retracted. Go to Bennett's website - lot's of info there... direct from the horse's mouth.

Tabman

Reaction score
Use any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Don’t worry about the exact brand or type – it will all work, and can even be mixed. To add fluid, remove the Lexan cover on the HPU, locate the “filler stack” in the left front corner of the reservoir. There is a round plug sealing the filler stack. Remove the plug and add fluid to the full line on the reservoir. Note: Add fluid only with the trim tabs fully retracted (up). If your reservoir does not have a full line, add fluid so the fluid level is about 1 inch below the top of the reservoir with the trim tabs fully retracted (up). Your Bennett Trim Tab system should not need refilling for several seasons.

HPU_ATF_Filling.jpg

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks again everyone.

I’ll check the tab level first, then fill as you’ve described.

One last question: I have some Mercury "Power Trim & Steering Fluid", which is "for use on most (Mercury) power trim and power steering systems". Is this ok, or is transmission fluid better?

Thanks again.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Transmission fluid would be what I would use. Not sure if tilt/trim fluid is compatible with transmission fluid if mixed. Bennett recommends transmission fluid for a reason.

G8RDave

Reaction score
Ky Grady said:
Transmission fluid would be what I would use. Not sure if tilt/trim fluid is compatible with transmission fluid if mixed. Bennett recommends transmission fluid for a reason.

Good call, KY Grady. That's what is in there now. I topped it off about every 5 years. You should be good for awhile. ツ

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
All done. Picked up some automatic transmission fluid at the local shop here in Nassau, and it was more than enough.

Thanks again.