Topside Function Details - 1996 Islander 268

Penny

Reaction score
My husband and I just bought an 1996 Islander 268 and it is incredible! We love it. We have found the owners manual to be lacking in the specifics topside. What's this hole, what's this plug, where is the live and raw water wells? Stuff like that. Anyone know a good reference piece that can help us get aquainted with our new Lady of the Sea? You know, the fresh water is empty. Never had one of these before so I don't know if we should fill it up with a cup of clorox to purify then purge and refill with clean fresh. We bought our boat from a guy that works at a retirement facility. The owner died. So, no transition training or boat introduction was possible. I would be much obliged if someone had some go to informaiton for me. I'll trade you some info in the SWFL real estate business, howzat??

Fair Winds,
Penny
Penelope Jiuditta
REALTOR*
239.297.9662 Cell
Fort Myers, FL 33907
http://propertypenny.com
mailto:penny@propertypenny.com

richie rich

Reaction score
Penny, congrats on the new boat....one of the best ways to really learn about those kind of things is to go down to your local Grady dealer and have them show you first hand either on your boat or something in the shop. They should be happy to help you especially if you'll be one of their repair or future buying customers. Learning about ALL your do dads will take some time on the internet....nothing like hands on experience. Is there a Grady club in the area? There's even more knowledge if you can hook up with your local chapter...... that, and a little time......safe boating!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Good comments and suggestions by richie.

I just went to the Grady-White web site and downloaded the Owner's Manual for the 1996 Islander 268. I've emailed it to the address in your post. It's not all inclusive, but certainly a good place to start.

Here's a link to the online 1996 GW catalog. More info in there.

http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/catalogs/PDFs/1996.pdf

Brian

gradytom

Reaction score
Congrats on the new boat!
I have a 98 Islander.
If there is anything you need to know, pm me
and I'll try to answer.
Happy Boating!
gt

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congrats!

The Islander was the largest walkaround cabin boat Grady built that was legally trailerable in beam without any restrictions, and a boat that was perfectly suited to single as well as twin power options - most were equipped with 250 OX66s. Both characteristics made it unique and very popular. Tha narrower beam makes it more fuel wise and hence the ability to run on a single vs. the wide beam Sails.

With respect to clorox, I read an article that stated - I believe 8 oz per 10 gals of water filled all the way up, let the treatment flow in the sink lines, then let it sit for a few hours, then do a double FW purge. I have the article home. The water can smell sometimes. And this water wasn't meant for drinking, use bottled water for that. Clorox is the only thing I've tried that works very well, the commercial products are too timid.

There is a lot of things on such a large boat.
To make it easier, study the owner's manual by system, study each system first and what component and procedure to use and maintain it. Take hand crib notes.

Such as:

saltwater washdown system
bilge pump system
FW system
livewell system
anchor windlass
nav lighting and remaining lighting
electrical panels, DC and AC
head system (can be elaborate and required chemciacl traetments for te effluent)
boat trim tabs
battery/charger system
motor instruments and controls (need motor manual? If Yamaha can view owners manual for free on Yamaha site)

If there are any questions afterwards, the Islander members on this site can easily blow away (IMHO) Grady customer service in a Jeopardy match round !