Torque Tab on lower unit GONE!

grady23

Reaction score
Hi guys --- I'm talking about the tab on the lower unit that is adjusted to off-set prop torque. I installed new ones last fall and when I got to the boat last week, boat is trailered, I noticed that the right hand engine had the tab MISSING. The guy at the marina said they come off all the time. I have been turning wrenches for over 45 years and just find it hard to believe that a bolt could loosen enough for the tab to fall off. That would mean the tab or bolt would need to spin around at least 8 revolutions. The rubber stopper was still in place and the bolt still in the hole when I found this. Did I get ripped off?? OR just something that "Happened"???

Slacktime

Reaction score
Lost two last season. new bolts and Loctite

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
The rubber stopper was still in place and the bolt still in the hole when I found this.

:hmm Come on, guys, plugs and bolts don't replace themselves. He was ripped off ...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've lost them as well. If the rubber stopper and bolt was in place, then the zinc split and the anode came off. If the bolt is missing, then someone with sticky fingers probably helped themselves.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I seriously doubt someone would jump in the water to remove a engine anode. Sort of hard to get to in my opinion. Now on land that might be a different story but i'm telling you I had at least 2 fall off last year - both times on the same engine. Wouldn't they steal both? Something with those bolts or brand of anode I guess.

Attachments

• underwater lights photo.jpeg
    underwater lights photo.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 3,235

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I seriously doubt someone would jump in the water to remove a engine anode.

:uhm So do I, but the boat was on a trailer! Never heard of one splitting, more likely to just lose the fin (have seen that) ...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree - thieves are lazy. They're not going to take the time to put the rubber plug back in place.

I'm new to Yamaha's. But very, very familiar with Mercruiser. Owned many and work on even more. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I can't remember a time when one fell off by itself. However, the Merc anodes always come with a new bolt and it has some loctite pre-applied. Do the Yamaha anodes not come with a new bolt?

seasick

Reaction score
Pretty common event on Yamis. You really have to tighten the bolt. Using a torque wrench a few times to get the feel for when it is tight may help.

grady23

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have worked on engines, transmissions, rears/axles and all sorts of stuff since age 14 and have never had a bolt back out the way this one would have had to do so. I'm thinking that someone smacked it with a rubber hammer to loosen it and then removed it. This was on the right-hand engine with standard rotation. I will go back and at least put Teflon tape on the bolt and re-tighten. The lock-tight scares me a bit for future maintenance. I plan to run this one for a few hours and recheck it. Have a great season everyone and thanks again.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Don't worry about the loctite - as I mentioned, ALL Mercruiser anodes come with it already on. Now, don't go crazy with it, just use a little bit. I'm not sure that teflon tape would help in this situation anyways, would it? I mean, by nature it's "slippery", right? Doesn't it make for EASIER removal?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Remember. the bolt is stainless, the tab is zinc. Therein lies the problem. Loctite may help some, but I have lost one from an F250 and with my boat on a lift it would have been very difficult to steal. Galvanic corrosion of the female threads?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Reading above I agree with the suggestions of using locktite and a torque wrench. I wouldn't tell you to lean on it though as that is subject to a persons interpretation of what that force means. I know if I leaned on it something would break. If you snap a bolt or crack a case you'll have a much bigger headache. Locktite it, torque it and periodically check it.
By the way if the bolt is not tight, 2 threads or 20 threads once that bolt gets loose underway it'll drop out pretty quick.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Don't worry about the loctite - as I mentioned, ALL Mercruiser anodes come with it already on. Now, don't go crazy with it, just use a little bit. I'm not sure that teflon tape would help in this situation anyways, would it? I mean, by nature it's "slippery", right? Doesn't it make for EASIER removal?

True..and as we know, removal is NOT the problem. Ive seen a bunch of threads like this about lost anodes but can't remember seeing any about ones that wouldn't come off.

eppem

Reaction score
Use locktight and spend the extra money for Yammy zincs, the aftermarket ones seem to fall off (at least for me). Make sure you check them during the year to see if they loosen.

grady23

Reaction score
Once again -- Thanks for the replies on this. It's a small job to re-mount the tab using Loctite since the boat is in the driveway.

seasick

Reaction score
grady23 said:
Thanks for the replies. I have worked on engines, transmissions, rears/axles and all sorts of stuff since age 14 and have never had a bolt back out the way this one would have had to do so. I'm thinking that someone smacked it with a rubber hammer to loosen it and then removed it. This was on the right-hand engine with standard rotation. I will go back and at least put Teflon tape on the bolt and re-tighten. The lock-tight scares me a bit for future maintenance. I plan to run this one for a few hours and recheck it. Have a great season everyone and thanks again.

Teflon tape is slippery just like your frying pan. I would not recommend it for the tab. In addition to being slippery, it can electrically insulate the connection, something you want to avoid for a sacrificial anode.
As mentioned, I have seen lots of these tabs fall off. Because of the dissimilar alloys and the temp swings, they are prone to loosening. Once loose, it doesn't take long to shake off