Total Boat Total Total Tread Colors

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I am about to purchase Total Boat Total Tread Paint. Has anyone used this before, and tried mixing their wet edge paint in to get a close matching color for Grady?

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I haven't mixed it, but my buddy used the sand beige on his steiger craft. I'm going to go with that when I redo my floor after I'm done my hatch re-core's

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have not, but it seems like a quick call to Total boat would be the easiest/quickest way to get an answer.

But, as long as they're the same formulation, I don't see an issue?

However... I think you're in a for a world of hurt trying to get it to match. You're going to waste A LOT of paint experimenting... and you'd better take VERY exact notes of the many, many mixing ratios that you experiment with on a small scale... and be able to VERY accurately calculate that out to a large amount. You either need to get this dead-on perfect or it'd be better off going with a purposefully contrasting color. That's what I did - I used Easypoxy in a contrasting color and added my own non-skid (Soft Sand).

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like Dennis's idea. Matching day one is one thing. Have the paint and gelcoat age at the same rate is something very different.

seasick

Reaction score
The trick is to fool the eye. It is virtually impossible to match the color 100% and as said over time it will change hue. To fool the eye, the secret is to blend. To blend you apply a larger area of gel coat a little proud of the surface, then sand with fairly fine paper applying a bit more pressure towards the outer edges. As gel coat gets sanded and gets thin, becomes more and more translucent. That makes an color differences spread out as the hue changes as opposed to a 'hard' line between the original gel and the new. Our eyes are not so good at recognizing a gradual hue change as they are for a straight edge line. If you fill a small spider crack with gel coat or other patching epoxy without feathering, slight color differences will be more easily noticed,

Note that for deeper cracks or gel coat repairs, gel coat would be applied in multiple layers. To do so, you have to use laminating gel coat or non-waxed gel coat for multiple layers to stick to each other. The final coat has to be coated with something like PVA to enable curing.
The method above applies to gel coat and not epoxy pastes or fillers

Reactions: Jimsalv

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The trick is to fool the eye. It is virtually impossible to match the color 100% and as said over time it will change hue. To fool the eye, the secret is to blend. To blend you apply a larger area of gel coat a little proud of the surface, then sand with fairly fine paper applying a bit more pressure towards the outer edges. As gel coat gets sanded and gets thin, becomes more and more translucent. That makes an color differences spread out as the hue changes as opposed to a 'hard' line between the original gel and the new. Our eyes are not so good at recognizing a gradual hue change as they are for a straight edge line. If you fill a small spider crack with gel coat or other patching epoxy without feathering, slight color differences will be more easily noticed,

Note that for deeper cracks or gel coat repairs, gel coat would be applied in multiple layers. To do so, you have to use laminating gel coat or non-waxed gel coat for multiple layers to stick to each other. The final coat has to be coated with something like PVA to enable curing.
The method above applies to gel coat and not epoxy pastes or fillers
I have used unwaxed gelcoat from Spectrum, and added the wax at mixing.