Tournament 192, Install Trim Tabs?

PS Guy

Reaction score
Just bought a 1994 Tournament 192 and have not had it in the water yet. We will be using the boat on Georgian Bay which gets quite choppy. Usually have 5 or 6 people on board.The boat has a 150 Evinrude 2 stroke on it.

Does this boat handle significantly better with the addition of trim tabs. I am considering buying used BENNETT V 351 TRIM TAB SYSTEM which has 8" x 9" tabs and are off of a 19" boat.
Do you think the 8" x 9" tabs are big enough as they are rated for 15-19 ft boats?

It is still winter here in Ontario and won,t have the opportunity to try the boat out for a few months. Appreciate any feedback and suggestions.
:hmm

Tabman

Reaction score
PS Guy said:
Just bought a 1994 Tournament 192 and have not had it in the water yet. We will be using the boat on Georgian Bay which gets quite choppy. Usually have 5 or 6 people on board.The boat has a 150 Evinrude 2 stroke on it.

Does this boat handle significantly better with the addition of trim tabs. I am considering buying used BENNETT V 351 TRIM TAB SYSTEM which has 8" x 9" tabs and are off of a 19" boat.
Do you think the 8" x 9" tabs are big enough as they are rated for 15-19 ft boats?

It is still winter here in Ontario and won,t have the opportunity to try the boat out for a few months. Appreciate any feedback and suggestions.
:hmm

Are you sure they are 8" x 9"? That is really not a size we make, unless it was custom for a boat builder. 12" x 9" would be appropriate for that size boat or our M80 8" x 10" system.

Here is a link to our sizing guidelines http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/tab-sizing-guidelines/

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm a firm believer that there absolutely ZERO drawbacks to trim tabs. It's one of those things that once you have them, you'd never want a boat without them. Considering you'll be loading the boat up pretty good and the choppy waters... I would absolutely do it. I agree with Tom, though, that those planes are on the small size. If that's truly the case, you may be able to just get new planes/hinges from Bennett - but of course you'll need to take the cost of that, along with the original purchase price, into account as opposed to just getting a new set.

Some people have had good results with simply enlarging the existing ones by welding a new plate on. But the biggest impact on your boat's attitude will come from the increase of span and, while I don't have any facts to back this up, I would be hesitant to increase the span too much without also increasing the hinge. I'm just not sure how much stress that the unsupported portion of the plane would cause on the hinge.

Tabman

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
I'm a firm believer that there absolutely ZERO drawbacks to trim tabs. It's one of those things that once you have them, you'd never want a boat without them. Considering you'll be loading the boat up pretty good and the choppy waters... I would absolutely do it. I agree with Tom, though, that those planes are on the small size. If that's truly the case, you may be able to just get new planes/hinges from Bennett - but of course you'll need to take the cost of that, along with the original purchase price, into account as opposed to just getting a new set.

Some people have had good results with simply enlarging the existing ones by welding a new plate on. But the biggest impact on your boat's attitude will come from the increase of span and, while I don't have any facts to back this up, I would be hesitant to increase the span too much without also increasing the hinge. I'm just not sure how much stress that the unsupported portion of the plane would cause on the hinge.

We don't recommend increasing the span at all without increasing the hinge to the same size. Not only is the Tab unsupported, but a lot of water pressure escapes where there is no hinge. This greatly reduces the effectiveness of the increase in size and can cause lots of spray too.

And yes span is the most effective measurement to increase if you can.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That makes sense, Tom. I know of a few guys who have done it and "supposedly" it works OK. But it's just never sat right with me - just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Tabman

Reaction score
PS Guy said:
This is the link to the tabs I am looking at and he claims they are 8 x 9.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-boat-parts-trail ... nFlag=true

Appreciate the input and looks like 12 x 12 is the way to go.
Thanks

Run Forest Run :)

Those are a mix of parts, small trim planes that were custom made for a small boat builder to mount in a pocket, note the mounting holes for the actuators are offset, combined with mismatched Hinge Plates that are way too wide (the Tabs will move around in them) and the backing plates that go against the transom appear to be missing. The pump and switch look to be at least about 20 years old. And I don't see the bracket for the pump.

The ad says "all you'll Need is 16 #8 11/2" stainless steel screws", you will need a heck of a lot more than that!

Tom
Bennett Marine

PS Guy

Reaction score
Good observations Tabman.
The price has dropped to $275.00 and you have explained why.
Think I will will go with new Bennet tabs system as saving a few dollars buying used could be expensive.