Tournament 192 to 225 questions

Woofman

Reaction score
Howdy everyone! I currently have a 192 and have been very happy with it for 5 years. Looking to upgrade but not a lot. We use the boat mostly in the Great South Bay of Long Island and coastal fishing/cruises. We spend a lot of time in the shallows but I also fish a lot outside. We are mainly looking for a bit more boat for the choppy bay and coastal work while keeping a decent draft. The 225 has better deadrise 20 vs 16, and is 1k pounds more. Has anyone gone from the 192 to the 225? I feel like any boat under 30' or so is going to be rough in the bay, but I also feel like the 192 is just a little to little. I'm trying to find a sea trial for 225 and maybe a worldcat 230dc. Thanks

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I love my 192 and use it all over Nantucket Sound (frequently run to MV, Hyannis, etc.). Have always found it to be very solid and fairly dry (other than the bow area getting wet while running in chop or people in the stern seats sometimes getting a bath while on plane in a moderate chop). That being said, one of my best friends, who boats in the same area, got a 225 last year and wow... what a difference. Handles the chop very well and seems to be a big boat for its size. Feels much bigger than the 192. As I said, I love my boat and I'm actually re-powering it this winter with a 4 stroke (it's a 2001). But the 225 is significantly "more boat" for rough waters and is a very nice upgrade.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192

I love my 192 and use it all over Nantucket Sound (frequently run to MV, Hyannis, etc.). Have always found it to be very solid and fairly dry (other than the bow area getting wet while running in chop or people in the stern seats sometimes getting a bath while on plane in a moderate chop). That being said, one of my best friends, who boats in the same area, got a 225 last year and wow... what a difference. Handles the chop very well and seems to be a big boat for its size. Feels much bigger than the 192. As I said, I love my boat and I'm actually re-powering it this winter with a 4 stroke (it's a 2001). But the 225 is significantly "more boat" for rough waters and is a very nice upgrade.
I take my 192 in the Raritan all the time and out front constantly. Never had an issue . I go out in sorts of seas always felt very comfortable. If you feel you need a bigger boat for your comfort or you just want a bigger boat, that's one thing. But if you feel that the 192 can't handle it, I assure you it can and maybe you should give it a shot first

Reactions: MashpeeMan

Woofman

Reaction score
I take my 192 in the Raritan all the time and out front constantly. Never had an issue . I go out in sorts of seas always felt very comfortable. If you feel you need a bigger boat for your comfort or you just want a bigger boat, that's one thing. But if you feel that the 192 can't handle it, I assure you it can and maybe you should give it a shot first
It's not the boat. I take it out of the inlets and in small craft advisory conditions regularly . It will handle more than I want to. I'm very impressed at what this 19' foot boat can handle, more than any other 19 I have owned or driven. The bay here is swept up into a short chop most summer days and I wanted to see how much better the 3 feet and thousand pounds of the 22 does. Surely someone here has made the same move. Plus more room of course is nice, and the head. But priority is the chop. May consider a 25' also but would prefer a 22-23.

Reactions: MashpeeMan

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
It's not the boat. I take it out of the inlets and in small craft advisory conditions regularly . It will handle more than I want to. I'm very impressed at what this 19' foot boat can handle, more than any other 19 I have owned or driven. The bay here is swept up into a short chop most summer days and I wanted to see how much better the 3 feet and thousand pounds of the 22 does. Surely someone here has made the same move. Plus more room of course is nice, and the head. But priority is the chop. May consider a 25' also but would prefer a 22-23.
Try to get out on a test run with the 22/23 if you can. I take my 192 everywhere/anywhere and always feel solid with it. It's all the boat I need and then some and I never doubt its seaworthiness even in rough waters. But the 225 is a whole different experience... you'll see it very quickly in a sea trial. In terms of the head on the 225, based on my buddy's feedback, it's useless and will just become a storage area so I'd dismiss that as part of your decision-making.