Tournament 192 / Tournament Series

NHAngler

Reaction score
Curious to know from current owners of this model if they find it to be the crossover between a walkaround and a center console? I have been looking at the 208 and came close to buying one recently (outboard had low comp). Since I have also noticed the Tournament series to be a lighter tow with kind of a cross between some protection and with some added deck room. I like to troll, cast, and jig. I don't anchor often but sometimes. So my needs are somewhat mixed. Seems a Tournament would be a good fit?

Any current owners comment on this? especially if you bought it for similar reasons...

Grady_bob

Reaction score
I since 1992 I've gone from a 17' Sea Ox Center Console to a 22' Robalo Cuddy to a 21' SeaSwirl Walk Around to a 17' Whaler Montauk (with some other smaller boats and PWC's in-between) to my present 2000 Tournament 192.

I'd say the Tournament 192 is hands down the best general utility boat I've had so far. It's great for fishing cause it's kind of "cab forward" with the helm situated farther forward than most dual console boats so there's plenty of open deck space for fishing.
When not fishing- we go to the beach- we sit 4 onboard without even having anyone aft of the helm!, there's still room to comfortably sit 4 more passengers (I have the factory option livewell behind the starboard helm which doubles as an 8th factory seating position) without overloading the boat.
The 192 has a very wide beam, so it's exceptionally stable without the rock-n-roll from port to starboard syndrome that many narrow boats suffer from and the CV (continuously variable) hull gives it a soft ride without pounding in chop.
I also love the walk through concept because on warm summer days the boat's completely open to cooling breezes unlike most walk around cuddies where the cabin gets stuffy and hot. If you do need protection from the elements- raise the bimini top, close the walk-through windshield, pop on the clear front Eisenglass and you're protected.

As far as trailering, it's much heaver than the 17' Whaler Montauk, but less than the 21' Seaswirl. So I guess you can say- it's as expected for a 19' boat.

As far as handling- it pretty much performs like the 21' Seaswirl- it's kind of heavy. I have a 150hp on my 192 but wish it had a 200hp. I do hit low to mid 40's just like all the other 192's with 150hp engines- but have a feeling a 200hp would be much better suited to this heavy hull.

Overall, I don't see how you could go wrong with a 192- unless you want a speedboat....

milt roe

Reaction score
I also have a 2000 192. I really like the flexibility. In the winter, I can put up the canvas and my passengers and I can be warm and dry out of the weather. There is plenty of uninterrupted space inside the canvas so it doesn't get crowded. The boat came with a Webasto diesel forced air heater, so I just set the thermostat and it stays comfortable inside. Summer months, the Bimini top is nice in very hot weather as a sun shade. Or open the bow cover up and put a couple people on the bow seats. For this size of boat, you get the same amount of useable fishing room that many larger boats provide. I power mine with a 175 e-tec. Good motor for the boat. Tops out at 46 mph, cruises efficiently at 35 mph. And I can troll down with that motor to 500 rmp for fishing for salmon. I would get the same boat again.

Good luck.

timberxx

Reaction score
I have a tournament 205. What won me over to the 205 is that I can stretch out my legs in the bow seats.

What I like about the 192 is the canvas Bimini tucks under the rear seats.

You can't make a bad decision with either.

Frank

Reaction score
I bought my 192 for similar reasons as yours - I wanted a boat that would do a mix of everything. I find my 192 to be a great all-round compromise as it gives me more space than a cc where I use it (in the cockpit) and the protection of a cabin boat. I use it more than 95% of the time for fishing. Also, I am in the ocean more than 90% of the time (normally 10-15 miles out, and up to 25 or so). I have had my boat since new and have put 600+ hours on it. The Honda 130 is adequate power but more would be better. When I bought the boat, my only 4 stroke choice was the Honda so I went with it rather than the Yamaha 150 or 200 HPDI (2 stroke) alternative.

I bought the boat in part because the cockpit space is maximized and the bow has just enough, but not too much, space allocated to it. The swim platforms come in handy for everything from getting on and off (from the water, a tube, the dock or while on the trailer) to accessing the engine to setting things like a minnow bucket. A couple more rodholders would be nice (I picked up a couple that clamp to the rails) and a center cleat for a springline. I have been tempted to install a tackle center in front of the engine well under the cutting board, but haven't gotten around to it. I like the way the bimini stores mostly out of the way (squarer corners on the bimini frame would have been better).

I have the single helm chair and back to back seat to port and like the room this setup provides. If I had it to do over, I would get the livewell and raw water washdown.

I drift, anchor, cast and troll depending on the target fish. The boat is very buoyant (even with the 600 lbs of my engine), so you don't get water in while drifting stern-to in larger seas out in the ocean or around inlets. It is also very stable when drifting, at anchor, and while trolling. It runs well in 2-3s in the ocean; 2-4s are ok sometimes and other times are not; and 3-4s or more are going to be more than you routinely want to do, although I have been caught out in 4-5/6s and the boat handled it well although you won't be going very fast at all (up one side and down the other of the waves). You will need the curtains when the wind kicks up (or you will get very wet) because a wind off the bow or front quarter of the boat will pick up spray and throw it on you.

Two complaints. First, the boat will pound in certain circumstances in a wind-blown, tight chop where the waves are the "wrong" distance apart even with the engine trimmed down (you need more length and more V to combat this). Second, your storage areas are at floor level so it is a pain getting much fishing tackle in and out. The boat has a reasonable amount of locking storage.

This is the boat I would buy again if I was in the market for a boat in this size range. It says something that Grady brought this model back despite having the 18 and 20 DCs in its line-up.

I think you will like the boat.

leek

Reaction score
I have owned Sea Ray 185 Dual Console, BW 20' Outrage (CC) and 225 Tournament as well as 38' Convertible. The 225 is a very useful boat as I am sure the 19 and 20 GW DC's are. The 225 has the length and weight to ride in most anything Puget Sound has to offer and still is a reasonable cruising/ skiing-wakeboarding boat. I tow it with a mid sized but very capable SUV. As mentioned above; with canvas you can boat all year if you gear up.
Outstanding ride, capacity and room to fish or move about. The bracket makes this boat seem more like 24 or 25'. I will own this one for a long time. The four stroke Yamaha F 250 has been flawless as has the 9.9 kicker. I do have a tow bar, bait well, raw water washdown and back to back seats on the admirals side, so really don't feel that we missed any options that would be useful.
After three years I cannot say that I would change much of anything. Eventually I think they will go away from the amount of wood that they currently use in the structure but they are knowledgeable about how to treat it and it is economical but I have not had any issues yet (nor should I have). Very pleased owner of GW 225