Tournament 205 Trailer Recommendations

James D

Reaction score
I am in the market for a trailer for my 2005 Tournament 205. Looking for a recommendation from other T-205 owners. I plan to travel ~50 miles round trip to the boat ramp 3 times a month, stored on the trailer between trips to the water. Combination of fresh and saltwater use. Along coast in NC. Brand, 2 or 4 bunks, etc.? Boat currently in dry stack.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I owned a 205, it sat on a Continental CTA-2150B. This was a 5000 capacity tandem with brakes on both axles. It fit the boat perfectly.

I see many boats in NC with brakes on only one axle. Not sure what the law is there, but here in GA and in FL the law is the same...anything over 3K lbs must have brakes on all axles.

In your corner of the world, Road King is popular (their factory is outside Asheville) as is Load Rite. I'm guessing it's because of the convenience of the factories and getting one quickly.

Some things I look for when I buy a trailer:

Torsion Axles (Last longer than springs - especially when they are dunked in saltwater.)
LED lights
Radial Tires
SS hardware (again - this is a must because of the saltwater)
Brakes - I'm partial to Deemaxx and/or Kodiak because they simply hold up better. Tie-Down is garbage. Knott is not much better. UFP isn't great either. The better trailers will have either Deemaxx or Kodiak.

Finally - don't rule out having a custom trailer made. Costs are about the same and you get one that fits like a glove. Owens and Sons and Loadmaster are both in the Tampa area. If you don't want to have it shipped up, an overnight road trip may be in order. You can also try Charleston Trailer in SC. They make a nice trailer....however last time I checked with them they are about 2 months out on getting one built.

Good luck.

seasick

Reaction score
I have trailered my 208 only a few times for longish trips , all under 75 miles. I use it primarily for storage and local seasonal launch and haul.
My 208 is bit heavier than the 205. My trailer is rated for 4700 pound load. I rebuilt all moving parts, all wiring, lights, actuator and brake lines three seasons ago. The trailer is a 2007 Venture ( I would not buy another Venture)
I upgraded to SS disk brakes on the axle that had drums and they work well.
If I were to do it again, here is what I would change from my original config: Aluminum frame over steel, SS disk brakes over drums, Torsion over leaf springs, and probably bunk over rollers. My rollers work well but they are added maintenance. The ramps I use have decent water so bunks would work OK. I boat in salt water and even with rinsing after use, the trailer takes a beating.

JAdams1

Reaction score
I purchased an aluminum 2019 Venture VATB-5225 with brakes on both axles for $3,400 for my tournament 205. I slip my boat and occaisionaly tow and store in the winter so I went with a bunk trailer. Very happy with the trailer.1025181053.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

billyttpd

Reaction score
I have a 96 Adventure 20. same hull as you maybe a little heavier because its a walkaround... I put a brand new 5 Starr under it last year and have been very happy. I opted for galvanized rollers. I purchased a 5S22T5400TG1 which is designed to carry 5400 pounds. A 5000 pound model was recommended but after the boat show looking at new Steigercraft 21 and a Seafarer I opted for the extra 400 pound capacity which cost an additional 118 dollars. The upgrade increased the tire size on a 14 inch rim and added rollers. I am very happy with the trailer especially because its really spec'ed for that maybe soon Seafarer. I did also put brakes on both axles (mandatory in PA) and LED lights. 5Starr is made by Load Rite