Tournament 205 VHF Radio Recommendation

JAdams1

Reaction score
Hi all, just purchased a 2007 Tournament 205 and it did not have a VHF radio. I am looking at installing this non-AIS system shown below. Anyone running with this setup? Any 205 owners using an 8 foot antenna? Any problems when its stored in the down position? Thanks.

vhf.JPG

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think that will be fine. The biggest thing I found was the length of the antenna. I had the same Digital for 12 years and just replaced with an 8' Digital this year. The only issues I had. 1.) If you have a hardtop put a pool noodle with a hole in the middle over the antenna each year. Make sure it doesn't bang into anything or the hardtop during layup. I had one section that had chips on it from this. 2,) Remove the radio each year from the boat. This way you re-mate all connections each year. The #1 issue is connection issues and this no only gets the radio in a dry environment but forces you to reconnect each year. Never any radio issues this way.

Reactions: JAdams1

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If you have a hardtop, consider a 3' SS whip (Shakespear 4400). I used one on the hardtop of my V20 for 15 years. Unbreakable. The whip unscrews for trailering. Got great reception. 3db antennas don't have as far a range but they have a much wider "donut" of coverage. I used it 60 miles out and always had great communication with multiple boats that I could not see. I had the same Standard Horizon Explorer VHF.
I added one on my Grady 265 to my old vhf as a backup.

suzukidave

Reaction score
i am trying out a 4' antenna next season due to my repeat tendency to forget to drop the antenna when i put the boat on the trailer until it is too late.

when i researched it the reviews were better than i expected . that's all i got.

JAdams1

Reaction score
Be interested to hear how the 4 footer (3dB) works. I will be mounting mine in this location (a friends 205).
mount.JPG

Fishtales

Reaction score
Generally, the higher the better. If near shore, I doubt the height matters much. Get something that doesn't look stupid on the boat.

JAdams1

Reaction score
Just ordered the following system from Hodges Marine. Radio has a $30 mail rebate promo going on now, which will bring the package cost down to $306. I ended up getting the 8 foot Galaxy 6dB antenna. Thanks for the help.

vhf system.JPG

seasick

Reaction score
Be interested to hear how the 4 footer (3dB) works. I will be mounting mine in this location (a friends 205).
View attachment 5851
VHF communications are line of sight. So the height of the antennas are the major factor in determining how far you will be able to receive a signal. Of course better radios will have better performance but the maximum distance is limited to the antenna height. Putting a 4 ft antenna on the deck will result if a shorter working distance than if the same 4 foot antenna were mounted on a hardtop.

For example, say one vessel has an antenna height of 16 feet ( 8 ft antenna on a hardtop that is 8 ft above the sea level) and you boat has an antenna height of 6 ft( 4 ft antenna mounted 2 feet above the water. You line of sight distance is 9 miles. If you use an 8 ft antenna with a effective height of 16 feet( again 8 ft above the water line on the hardtop) you operating distance increases to 12 miles.
Note that the antennas used by folks like the Coast Guard can be 100 feet or more in height; With that height and the example vessel with the 16 ft effective height, operating distance increases to 20 miles.
There are other factors in antenna design that affect performance but you really can't get around the distance limitations due to the line of sight distance

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All good choices.
Any reason why you are mounting the antenna on the port side? If you mount it in the starboard side the wire run is much easier. Plus, you can reach it from the helm if you need to fold it down.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All good choices.
Any reason why you are mounting the antenna on the port side? If you mount it in the starboard side the wire run is much easier. Plus, you can reach it from the helm if you need to fold it down.

X2....I agree fully. All good sensible choices on the equipment. I agree with Parthery about location. I have the same antenna mounted on the strbd side and I can lay it down from the captains station while standing. However if there are reasons for doing otherwise, any location will work. When you get it all installed show us some pictures of the finished product.

JAdams1

Reaction score
Agreed, not sure why my buddy with the same boat has his mounted on the port side. I plan on mounting on the starboard side for reasons stated. It will be a little while before I install it, boat is in hibernation right now. Got the first snowstorm of the season coming tonight. Thanks.
front.JPG

Last edited: