Tournament 205 with Shore Power?

T_Wrecks

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to slip my 2005 Tournament 205 this year, and I'm realizing that I don't have a shore power hookup. This is my first time keeping any of my boats in the water, so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm curious as to what everyone does in order to keep their battery's charged, and their bilges functional in this situation. I was looking at a shore power to standard outlet end with a battery tender hooked up to the other end, but I'm concerned about leaving that connected all of the time. Am I crazy, or is there another option?

Thanks in advance,

-Travis

seasick

Reaction score
The quality of the battery maintainer is important. If you go that route get a decent unit. Your concerns are valid since a poor wiring approach can cause a fire or galvanic action at the slip which can eat at your sacrificial anodes and then not so sacrificials as well as any neighbors. So...
Choose a charger that is rated for wet areas. Confirm that you have an are to 'mount' it that is mostly dry and at a minimum is not subject to rain water flow. The connection between the charger and the power chord must also be kept away from water.
My question is whether you need a charger at all. If you turn your battery (s) off when slipped, do not have excessive parasitic draw ( as you might for a some stereos, alarm or electronic bilge pump) you batter will hold a decent charge for a long time assuming it is in good shape. The variable is the bilge pump. That can run down a battery quickly if it cycles frequently. If your bilge is dry and the bilge pump rarely if ever runs, you may not need a charger.
It is difficult to know if your bilge pump cycles while at the dock if you are not at the boat or don't have a way to tell if it has run. Some folks add a 12v timer meter to let them know if the pump has run. You have to keep a record of the readings or get a meter that you can reset.
A simpler although not as accurate method is to gently insert a cotton ball into the through hull for the bilge pump. When the pump runs the water will blow the cotton ball out. When yo check the boat, you look to see if the cotton ball is still there. If not, you can assume the pump ran at least once.

If your bilge gets a lot of water, a charger/maintainer will be a better solution. Just be careful with the wiring connections and use a decent extension chord:) You can use some dielectric grease on the receptacle to help keep moisture out. .

Fishtales

Reaction score
If your going to install shore power, make sure you research the job and get some hands on advice to ensure it is done properly. You want it right for piece of mind, to ensure it is safe and for the sale later. Well worth it to have someone oversee it or have it done for you.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Shore power is a big expense. You need a breaker/panel,galvanic isolator, 30 amp plug, cable, outlets, wire, onboard charger. Not sure its worth it on a 20 footer.

I ran a 20 footer for 18 years, slipped 6 months, one 27DP battery. Never charged it in the water once. Battery lasted about 5 years each. Replaced at first sign of weakness.
Worse case you don't run the boat for a while, run an extension to a charger, sit & drink a beer.

I have a 26 now, shore power is recently broke (the isolator or the breaker). I have an onboard charger with 4 batteries. If I don't run it in two weeks sometimes I plug it in with an extension chord while I'm fiddling with the boat or fishing tackle. But I really don't need to...

I removed the fridge and the microwave (for storage space) so I really only need shore power for the charger.
I've been toying with putting this on my spring list of projects.
Its going to cost me $260 for a new Isolator, $70+ for a new 30A inlet.. throw in a new 30A breaker and some new gfi outlets and I'll be at $400 and I don't need wire and a shore cable!

Remember, AC uses different wire. Black/white/green...and Black is HOT not ground! You have to understand that or don't put AC on your boat.
And you CANNOT use solid house wire. You gotta pay for marine AC wire.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Travis, it's unclear... please clarify...

It kind of sounds like you're talking about installing shore power on your boat?

But I "think" that you might be saying that you're in a slip that has a shore power pedestal and you're simply using that to supply power to a regular extension cord?

Truthfully, with a small boat like that - you really don't need to do anything. Having it in a slip is no different than having it on a trailer.

That said, a small (good quality) battery maintainer is never a bad idea regardless if slipped or on the trailer.