Tournament 223 repower?

gonzo007

Reaction score
It won't happen before winter, but I'd like to slap a new engine on my 1995 223, replacing a still-decent Evinrude 200 of the same vintage that weighs 483 pounds. (It does lay down a D-Day-worthy smokescreen on a cold start, smell like a refinery and gulp gas!)

Has anyone put a 200 four stroke, weighing about 100 pounds more, on the same or a similar boat?

I've read dozens of posts and magazine articles on the topic. A Grady dealer in my region recommended against it and suggested a new Yammie F200 two-stroke, installed for $14,120.

The owner of another non-Grady shop that has beautifully maintained my boat the last three years, and which sells/services Evinrude, Suzuki and Yamaha, says the heavier 4S engine would not pose a problem.

My scuppers ride perfectly now on my notched-transom boat. I'll have a buddy sit atop my existing engine to simulate added weight, etc.

Again, I'm hoping to hear from someone who's done it with the same boat.

Another -- not desirable -- option would be a Zuke 175 4S, almost exactly the same weight as my current engine.

Thanks in advance.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you called GW and asked them? They will give you a candid answer as to whether or not its a good idea.

If they are against it, then you have a couple options. An E-Tec is a possibility, and some of your controls may be reusable.

If you are going Yamaha, there is no such thing as an F200 2 stroke. Yamaha made an OX66 2 stroke EFI, and the 200 HPDI. Unfortunately, both of these engines have been discontinued.

$14K for a leftover 200 HPDI seems a little high to me.

Is 200 hp even enough for the boat? The 223 is heavy....would 225-250 be a better fit?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Since you are not interested in 2 strokes, might as well get the F225 or F250. You may get close to same performance of 2 stroke 200 with the F225, notice a definite loss with F200, and see a slight improvement with the F250, once you decide the added weight doesn't matter.

These three different F motors are similar weight to eachother.

I'm sure someone who is also 4 stroke fan who repowered will answer with the opinion you are looking for.

Afishinado

Reaction score
Parthery, I think you have some bad info on the 200HPDI being gone... They still offer it from what I see, it's still on their website.

$14k said'n'done with all new cables, controls, gauges and prop sounds pretty close to me.

gonzo007

Reaction score
BobP and others,

My bad. The Grady dealer proposed a Z200TXR.

Sorry about the misquote on my part.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You didn't have to say, I already knew what he recommended.

200 HPDI

leek

Reaction score
T 225

I have a six week old T225 with a F250 as well as a 9.9 kicker on it.
The four stroke is a nice running real solid engine. I am close to the limit with the kicker: if large guys go to the back some water appears around the floor drains (scuppers) but not much. If you were to install a F250 without the kicker on the older boat we may be in a similar position.
I have been impressed with GW and my local dealership so agree with the advice above to consult them
My Wide open speed is around 48 if I can get smooth enough water to trim her way out at 6000 rpm.
This hull mostly wants to cruise at around 4000 rpm or 30 mph.
I might consider the e tech as noted above as it offers many of the same features at less weight and you may be able to reuse some of the controls. I have several friend that have e tech and they are happy, although one of them had a bad head early on.

wlewis

Reaction score
On my 1996 Gulfstream, I replaced the original Evinrude 225 with a new E Tec 250 and couldn't be happier. I use the same controls and the new motor has great power, doesn't smoke, is very efficient and quiet.