Tournament 225: To Restore or Replace

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hi All, I know I'm opening a can of worms here but I need some advice. I'm hitting a point of no return when it comes to my boat and making a decision. I currently own a 1991 Tournament 225 that I've had for 10 years and have done a fair amount to it over this period (I run it in Lake Champlain so fresh water, maybe 100 hours a season). My engine a 2006 Yamaha f250 blew last year due to hydro-lock. I had the engine rebuilt and a bunch of work done over last winter. It was supposed to be delivered in May, 2018 for sea trials, ended up getting it back in August. I ran it for 3.5 hours and the engine blew out again. I won't burden you with the details but here's where I'm at. I brought my boat down to Metan Marine in Massachusetts to have a survey done to determine the overall state of the boat and whether it's worthwhile doing a repower, replace the fuel tanks and some other necessary work. All in, including the new engine I'm probably going to be in the $35k range for getting everything done (all work has a 10 year guarantee on it). I really like the layout of my boat and like I said have done a fair amount of work to it. On the other hand, I just ran across a 2005 Tournament 225 with a Yamaha f225 (650 hours and had the dry exhaust refit kit done) for $37k. It looks in nice shape and I spoke to the broker, sounds like a really nice boat. To add to the mix, my wife loves the boat and is up for making the investment or going with a newer boat but she just wants a boat that'll get us from point A to Z and everything in between. What to do? The devil you know or the devil you don't? A new engine would be pretty sweet. Any thoughts or major considerations that I should be looking at. I'm to get the scope of work from Metan on Friday and would be happy to post it once I have it. I know they plan to pull the upper deck off; go through the hull, replace any stringers, transom work, etc., full fuel system replacement, replace wiring, drains etc., remove and replace engine bracket. It's a lot of money either way but we love to spend our summers on the boat and the last three summers have been a total bust. I would appreciate any advice/ opinions.
Either way, I'll be looking to get rid of my Yamaha engine. It has a brand new OEM computer, OEM main wiring harness, plugs etc. The engine cowling and shaft etc are all in very good shape. I also have brand new gauges, binnacle and cables. If someone is interested in any or all of it let me know. Thanks for your help.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some factors if you fix:
- When done, you still have a 27 year old hull.
- You could run into more cancer once you dig in.
- You have to manage the time, scope and cost of the retro.
- You get a new motor.

Some factors if you buy:
- Good time to buy. You may be able to work the seller this time of year as he probably wants to get out of it now and not carry thru the winter. How many people are knocking on his door?
- You get a 50% newer hull; 13 year old.
- Motor is unknown but 650 hours is pretty low with the mid section complete. Sounds like the owner was proactive.
- You can sell the hull, motor parts, controls etc.
- You have not discussed electronics. Are these newer or can you take what you have?

It is a tough call. Maybe work the deal and see if you can lower the price. If so, the reduction and selling of older stuff may make the deal. Get a competent survey. If all works out buy it.

suzukidave

Reaction score
for that money, i would go find a newer much cheaper 225 with the hull in nice shape but with a dodgy motor and maybe even no trailer, re-engine it with a new motor, then transfer as much as i could from my old boat. then you sell the old boat and the two bad motors very cheap.

but if i am limited to your two choices, i would do the reno assuming i read read right that they are doing a hull deck separation and pulling the liner? if they do that and renew everything they expose and slap a new motor on it that is essentially a brand new boat. you will never get the money out of it but the rebuild approach will give you a much better boat than the $37k approach to get a 13 year old semi-project.

people will no doubt make the point the 225 does not have a seavee2 hull. as an owner of both hulls, that would not stop me choosing the rebuilt 1991 from between your two choices.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I purchased a 1984 226 Seafarer for $2800 in 2017. Motor was blown. I started digging and decided to go all in and restore it. I loved the layout of the boat before, but wasn't keen on the cut out transom. So....we redid the transom and fully enclosed it. Then, did a total redo on: wiring, drains, thru hulls, fuel tank and lines, new flotation engine bracket, new dash and switches, new DC circuit breaker panel, new trailer and a new Mercury Verado 300 with Vessel view and power steering.

Some will say it's nuts to invest that kind of money in an old hull. But, I have the exact setup I want and the newer ones don't have near the cockpit space or flexibility.

Yes, I invested $42K (motor was $27K). But, I know the boat inside and out....and it is reliable as a new one. I store it indoors. It's a fishing and having fun machine!

When I look around at what I could buy for what I have invested...sure...I'd get something newer. But...not brand new wiring, fuel tank, motor, electronics, etc.

I didn't buy the boat to invest in it and then flip it and make money. I bought it to make it something I'd enjoy and be much more economical than buying new.

I have some videos on my YouTube page to show the work done. You can scroll through to see the various restoration videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATvLuuBWqIPmRX0gH9FiMQ

The boat was fantastic this summer on Lake Erie. We caught 50+ fish every outing, boat rips along perfectly, trolls awesome, is sooo quiet, and is a versatile platform. 2.76 mpg at 28-30 mph cruise. 48 mph top end all day, but have seen 50. That's with hard top, full fishing gear, etc.

20180831_193618_resized.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nice. Sounds like he has a tough decision....

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
I purchased a 1984 226 Seafarer for $2800 in 2017. Motor was blown. I started digging and decided to go all in and restore it. I loved the layout of the boat before, but wasn't keen on the cut out transom. So....we redid the transom and fully enclosed it. Then, did a total redo on: wiring, drains, thru hulls, fuel tank and lines, new flotation engine bracket, new dash and switches, new DC circuit breaker panel, new trailer and a new Mercury Verado 300 with Vessel view and power steering.

Some will say it's nuts to invest that kind of money in an old hull. But, I have the exact setup I want and the newer ones don't have near the cockpit space or flexibility.

Yes, I invested $42K (motor was $27K). But, I know the boat inside and out....and it is reliable as a new one. I store it indoors. It's a fishing and having fun machine!

When I look around at what I could buy for what I have invested...sure...I'd get something newer. But...not brand new wiring, fuel tank, motor, electronics, etc.

I didn't buy the boat to invest in it and then flip it and make money. I bought it to make it something I'd enjoy and be much more economical than buying new.

I have some videos on my YouTube page to show the work done. You can scroll through to see the various restoration videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATvLuuBWqIPmRX0gH9FiMQ

The boat was fantastic this summer on Lake Erie. We caught 50+ fish every outing, boat rips along perfectly, trolls awesome, is sooo quiet, and is a versatile platform. 2.76 mpg at 28-30 mph cruise. 48 mph top end all day, but have seen 50. That's with hard top, full fishing gear, etc.

View attachment 5976
Thanks, watched your videos, great work and what a sweet result! Send your Dad over to Vermont, I have a few projects for him!!

Reactions: UCPA111

UCPA111

Reaction score
Thanks, watched your videos, great work and what a sweet result! Send your Dad over to Vermont, I have a few projects for him!!
My Dad is a machine. 69 years old. Born in Germany. Immigrated. Served in Vietnam as SeaBee. Owned a construction firm. An amazing guy. He instilled a lot of confidence in me (and my sister) that probably drives our spouses nuts...LOL! We tackle big things with gusto....things others cringe at.

seasick

Reaction score
Folks who think that boats are an investment should seek a new financial advisor:)

We do what we do because it is a challenge . We do it because we love boating and sometimes making old worn out things hum is very rewarding. We do it to keep our brains active and engaged.
Of course, some do it because they have no idea what they are getting into!
As I age, I am realizing that I can't do some of the jobs I have done in the past. Some jobs, I just don't want to do anymore. I would't do another 'renovation' project but that's me. These days, I would rather spend my time using the boats rather than just working on them.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Its always a dilemma. Realize that the only way to get your money out of the restoration and repower is to use it yourself for 10 years.

Things to ask yourself----

How long am I going to use this boat? 10 years to justify a new motor? At least 10 years to justify all the work?
Will the used (13 year old) motor last 10 more years?
What will this boat look like (on the outside--gelcoat shine, cracks ) in 10 years vs the newer boat in 10 years? Do I care about that?

Do you ever dream of a bigger boat? Now is the time to consider that before you commit another penny to this one.
I went bigger and decided to buy a decent hull with old motors at a discount and repower new (if and when I commit to 10 years of bigger bills)

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hi All, first thanks for all the responses and advice. Thought I'd give everyone an update. After a few months of weighing options and looking at boats (specifically the 275), the decision was made to move forward with a restore and repower of the 225. We made the decision based on how we use the boat, mostly as a family cruiser and going to the beach etc. The boat is down at Metan Marine getting the hull work done. They pulled the upper off the hull for replacing the fuel system, cleaning out 27 years of bilge gunk and wiring. The transom is in good shape but some of the stringers are getting replaced. The repower is arriving in the form of a Yamaha f250 from Rick's Outboards in Fairhaven, MA. The entire project will be done in a few months. I'll keep everyone updated and post pics as we go through the process.