Tournament 225 - Yamaha 2-stroke OX66 Performance

Raftman1983

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

About to buy a 2000 Tournament 225 with the Ox66 225 on the back. Boat looks to be in good condition. When I sea trialed it was only getting 37-38 WOT. This sounded a little slow to me. It does have bottom paint.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Blake

mronzo

Reaction score
That's one of the heaviest 22' dc boats out there so it won't be as fast as others it's size with the same hp. Make sure your prop is good and bottom is cleaned as well. You might get more info by checking the GW catalogs online for your year boat.

seasick

Reaction score
It would help to know the rpms you were turning at that speed.
What did you use to determine the speed? How much fuel was on board, how many passengers, equipment etc.
Was there a hard top or curtains? Was there a wind? What were the seas like
Regardless are you buying a boat to ski or to fish. Assuming you are not in the bass fisherman's tournament, you shouldn't be doing WOT on a regular basis. It's more important to determine your desired (needed) cruising speed and go from there.
I have a 208 with a OX66 150. I can make 39 mph but rarely do so. Just once in a while to blow out the carbon. The difference in fuel consumption from cruising speed to WOT if about twice so for me, cruising is about 3800 to 4100 rpm.

bez5

Reaction score
I have a 2000 tourament 225 with a OX66 200, WOT is 39-40 on GPS no bottom paint, only run there briefly to burn carbon once in while. Generally cruise at 4300-4600 rpm that seems to be the sweet spot for
engine and the ride. The boat is great for going to Elliot Key for the day
with family or fishing with the kids.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
As requested by Seasick provide more specifics including if the boat is currently stored in water or out.

The speed sounds to me to be a little bit low but that's a heavy boat to be powered by a 225. Current factory specs call for 41.5 mph @ 5500 RPM with a 225 four stroke. Given that factory specs are on a perfect day with no paint a following sea and wind and 102 lb jockey driving it that might be close.

More importantly how well does the boat come out of the hole and better yet out of the hole into oncoming seas. Does it snap up or slog up onto plane?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That is slow...

Last summer, I negotiated a deal on a used 225T with an F225. At 6000 rpm, the boat only ran 36 mph, both on the speedo and with a handheld GPS. I sea tested another 225, with an F225, without bottom paint, and saw 44 mph.

On the boat I looked at, we checked the bilge, and the bracket, and both were dry. Came to the conclusion that something wasn't right and passed on the boat.

I think that rig should run 41 or so. 37 says to me that something is up....

Raftman1983

Reaction score
Engine was turning 5k on the RPM. Currently stored on a rack but it does have bottom paint. I'm using the Yamaha spedometer. I think it was MPH, if it was knots than I'm gonna feel like a big dummy. 2 people on board and I'm sure sure if the tank was full. It wasn't sluggish and jumped right up on plane.

Thanks again guys..

seasick

Reaction score
You can't rely on the Yami speedo for accuracy. A GPS would be more accurate. Since the vessel gets on plain in a timely fashion and based on other posts for that model, it seems like the boat is performing up to specs. Design WOT might be a tad higher than 5,000 revs but it's close enough.
A smooth and clean hull can make a big difference on performance depending on how 'dirty' it is.
One more thing, did the boat have trim tabs and if so, where they up or on plane? Tabs add drag and drag slows speed.

Gross Profit

Reaction score
I have a 222 fisherman w/ 225 OX66 running a 17M prop. It snaps on plane in seconds and runs 45 mph @ 5500 rpm, 33 mph @ 4100 rpm. Speed is off of GPS. When the bottom was painted and had light barnacles on it, speed was only 38-39 mph @ WOT. Slick bottom is much mo bettah.

edit: I also have a t top w/ radar

striped bass

Reaction score
My T225 with a 225 OX66 has hit 41 mph at WOT. Later in the season it does 38 MPH usually when the bottom gunks up a little. Note my T225 carries about 150 gallons of gas with the aux tank filled.

Raftman1983

Reaction score
Is your boat bottom painted? How do I clean a bottom painted boat? Should I pressure wash it before I stick it in the water?

striped bass

Reaction score
Yes, the boat is bottom painted. The bottom is cleaned by a diver with a brush several times during the boating season. Then each winter haul out the bottom is pressure washed and then repainted in the spring before launching. When the bottom is the smoothest is when the top speed is reached.