Tournament 225G bottom paint

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1997 Tournament 225g with the engine bracket. Im located in NY saltwater and it will be in slip for the season and would like to use ablative bottom paint with copper since Ive had great luck with it before on other boats. This is the first boat I have had with a aluminum engine bracket. I am aware that I can not use bottom paint with copper on the aluminum engine bracket. Can I use the paint on the rest of the boat and tape off 1 inch between the bottom paint and the bracket or will this still cause problems? I was planning on using Trilux 33 on the bracket itself. Thanks for the help!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, leaving a 1" gap will do the job.

But, consider the newer "Eco" versions. They don't pollute the waters like the older style paints and they work just as well. Petit Hydrocoat Eco, for example. Many top notch manufacturer's have been using this for years. I've used it/use it, and know of may others (too many to count) that do, also. Plus, you can use it on the bracket and any part of the OB that sits in the water. One paint for everything is a nice thing.

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I would use an eco friendly paint but dont see any that have great reviews. My boat is in the long island sound from may-november. Last year i pulled my other boat out that had westmarine CPP ablative paint and hit with a hose and was clean.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can't comment on reviews that are online, other than to say that without a doubt, there's a much higher percentage of people who post negative results than positive. So the reveiws tend to get skewed. Plus, we have to factor in the variable of some people not knowing what they're doing and then blaming it on the paint.

What I can tell you, though, as I eluded to above, is I have A LOT of experience with the Hydrocoat Eco. From the hundreds of boats that have come to our shop from the Sea Ray factory with it pre-applied, to hundreds more that we have done in house, to my own boats and friend's boats. No complaints. It works.

I also know of many people, through forums, that have no complaints with it - many of them in the same waters as you... and lot's more keep their boats in MUCH more active waters than the Sound, such as Florida... which is much harsher on the paint.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Been using Pettit Hydrocoat on my boat the past 2 seasons with great results. We are in the same waters and wetslip. When the boat was pulled last fall, the bottom was clean and only needed a light power wash to remove some slime around the water line.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Another thumbs up for Pettit Hydrocoat ECO. 3 years now on everything, even use it on my RIB,

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I will definately check out the hydrocoat. Is it a multi season paint ?
Another quastion i had was the boat is 20 years old. There is is only one coat of bottom paint on it now and its showing through in some spots. Im considering stripping it and doing a barrier coat since now would be time to do it with how easy it would be to get to bare hull. There are no blisters or issues any where and boat spent its whole life in georgia. Been told dont need to(boat would have had issues by now) but am thinking i should. I know it cant hurt to do but is it worth doing to a 20 year boat with no issues as of now?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Is it showing thru to barrier coat or to gelcoat? That'll impact your decision.

I use West Marine CCP Ablative(when its on sale 2 for one) on the hull. Used it for 18 years on my last boat, great stuff and you don't have to splash the boat in a hurry.

As a goof I stenciled the hull with some hot pink squid and a day-glow green mahi using regular spray paint over the black ablative. I had squid shaped barnacles in November!!!
hahahahah, don't do that!:p

I used a spray can of something(Trilux I think) on the trim tabs and it didn't work very well at all. Maybe I'll try the Pettit this year.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks for all the replies. I will definately check out the hydrocoat. Is it a multi season paint ?
Another quastion i had was the boat is 20 years old. There is is only one coat of bottom paint on it now and its showing through in some spots. Im considering stripping it and doing a barrier coat since now would be time to do it with how easy it would be to get to bare hull. There are no blisters or issues any where and boat spent its whole life in georgia. Been told dont need to(boat would have had issues by now) but am thinking i should. I know it cant hurt to do but is it worth doing to a 20 year boat with no issues as of now?
Yes, multi-season... As others mentioned, they are getting multi-seasons out of it. It's easy, water cleanup and like the other stuff, there's no time limit on when you have to splash by. Go to Pettit's website and look it up for more info.

Skunk... you know what would be a good practical joke on a friend? Get some mat-black spray paint and do some kind of design (or words!) on his bottom paint. He'll be scratching his head FOR SURE when he pulls out!