tournament 275 350yamaha

ussteel

Reaction score
Any Tournament 275 350 yamaha out there ? I have a 2009...any problems? HAVING any fun? Pictures? So far great time...fish..swim..ski...awesome boat..

Tashmoo

Reaction score
275 w/F350 here, 115 hours and not a problem to speak of. Engine is very solid, I am very happy with it. We absolutely love the general layout of the boat. The boat is used for fishing and family relaxation time. Fishing is in-shore fly and off-shore sport for tuna. She does ok for her size stuffed up into the rocks and really well in the off shore situations. With the bimini off it works great for handling fish all the way around the boat without anything to pass a rod around then pop the Bimini back on and take the wife out for the afternoon at the beach. We really like the bow layout and have enjoyed the overall utility of the boat. We had a Pursuit 2150 DC before this boat so we are familiar with the DC layout.

My only comments for improvements would be:

Improve the rod holing capacity and design the holders, in the head they are not designed for off shore gear at all and the under gunwale holders hold light spinning gear but won’t hold a heavy spinning tuna rig (Penn 850 on a 6' rod).

Put a tackle locker on the boat, I bitched to GW about this when we bought the boat but got Zero support on the issue from factory.

Engine bullet sits in the water all the time, I lot of people say NBD but I don't like it, particularly with the water pick up on the bullet being underwater all the time.

Redesign the entire stern light, (for boats with a Bimini not a hard top) in a word it blows, my assessment and the dealers as well, is that it was designed to the lowest level design engineer in the place and no one check their work before it went into production.

Outside of these small issues I give the boat a 9.5 and I am a very picky person when it come to my toys.

How have you found the low speed handling at the dock. Backing to starboard is difficult, another GW guy down the dock just told me to tilt the engine up to four bars when backing in vs. having it all the way down. It appeared to help but I am drawing a line with one point as I have only docked once using his instructions. Performance now with gear, full tank, full water , Bimini up and summer conditions has settled in at 45 MPH at 5,500 RPM with three bars engine trim. The dealer is checking the engine out for its 100 hour as I write this. I noticed that it has lost 200 - 300 RPM since the acceptance in late April. If anything comes out of this I will post.

ussteel

Reaction score
Tashmoo Thanks for input... I agree more rod holders .. I have a ski plyon and cap for ski plyon when not in use is garbage . Also I have a hard top and its great except for working poles around boat.. Yes I DOCK starboard and it's almost always trouble...Thanks for tip..my engine bullet always in water..I love the trottle..but sometimes wonder if I shouid have went with twin engines for docking. Also would love to have helm seat ..raise up and down..outside these items I agree 9.5 very pleased..keep in touch!

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
ussteel said:
Tashmoo Thanks for input... I agree more rod holders .. I have a ski plyon and cap for ski plyon when not in use is garbage . Also I have a hard top and its great except for working poles around boat.. Yes I DOCK starboard and it's almost always trouble...Thanks for tip..my engine bullet always in water..I love the trottle..but sometimes wonder if I shouid have went with twin engines for docking. Also would love to have helm seat ..raise up and down..outside these items I agree 9.5 very pleased..keep in touch!
Ussteel,
My '08 225 Tournament has a height adjustment on the helm seat. Loosen the knob and pull out the little black ball on the seat shaft and pull the seat bottom up or lower it down. I'm assuming your helm seat is the same as mine. I can't imagine a 225 would do that and a 275 wouldn't!

ussteel

Reaction score
Capt. Chris The helm seat doesn't a have black ball and doesn't go up and down... hard to believe? Thanks for input.

ussteel

Reaction score
Stonewall The 275T really doesn't need LOA could use bigger beam, Thanks for tip on new Tournament.

3gulls

Reaction score
275 T

I am working with the dealers in SW Florida to buy a new 275 - I need to do a test drive soon. The dealers say the boat performs well with the twin 150s - has anyone driven that set up? I notice that the TX Gulf coast marinemax stores order the 275 with twin 225 hp engines. The FL dealers assert the 225s are overkill... any thoughts?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: 275 T

3gulls said:
I am working with the dealers in SW Florida to buy a new 275 - I need to do a test drive soon. The dealers say the boat performs well with the twin 150s - has anyone driven that set up? I notice that the TX Gulf coast marinemax stores order the 275 with twin 225 hp engines. The FL dealers assert the 225s are overkill... any thoughts?

We bought our 270 new with a single 250HP OX66. Repowered to twin F150s in Oct 2005. Now have 665 hrs on them.

I think they are great on this hull. We have more weight forward than the 275, but we cruise at 25-28 knots, and have a WOT speed of 37kts - all heavily loaded.

We have a member of the TGWC with big engines on his 275, and it is really fast, but not too many days you can run (cruise) faster than we regularly do on our 75nm runs offshore.

Brian

3gulls

Reaction score
Brian

Thanks for the reply. That is a good point about the cruising speed - the family won't appreciate getting beaten to death at high speed. This will be a family fishing and cruising boat.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
3gulls,

I have the 275 with an F350 and did lots of thinking about whether to go twin 150's or single 350. In the end I went for the single, what I found in my research is that if you’re going with twins go 150's or 250's. Twin 200's provide the same performance as the twin 150's +/- 1-2 mph, the twin 225's did more than the 150's and about the same as the single 350 for a lot more $$ and the 250's gave a clear jump in speed over any option.

Print out all of the performance data from the 275 and the Chase 273 and review them using the assumption that the 275 and 273 are more or less the same performance. By the way from real time experience the GW performance data is about 8-10% optimistic.

Good luck with your search and try the boat with the F350 it is a fantastic combination that gives better performance at less money. That said docking the twins should have an advantage.

3gulls

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The SW Florida dealers order the boats with twin 150s which is probably okay. I will be using the boat for offshore fishing trips a lot so twin engines may be the way to go for safety. Glad to hear you like the boat.

galaxie

Reaction score
Just finishing the first summer with my new tournament 275 with 350 yam. Went with the 350 after considerable review. Boat proved to be everything I excpected and I am already looking forward to next summer to continue the fishing and fun with family. I have hard top and one angler can always fish comfortably from bow drifts which proved to work well. On Cruises the kids love to ride up front.
350 provides plenty of power even with 6 -7 persons onboard for cruise. 350 will give you a bit more room when swimmer off the boat. Savings on gas, winterization cost for second motor and less drag when running are positives of the single 350. If you offshore regularly you have to think twins.
I went with a bow operated spot to remove the glare issue when spot is mounted on hardtop(which i have). Good in shallow water and sturdy in snotty conditions. 350 was clearly right choice for me.
good luck and enjoy.