Tournament 307 Water in Bilge / Anchor Locker

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
1. I noticed both the aft and forward bilge pumps are not positioned in the "lowest" part of the boat. Most of my bilge water settles about 4 feet to the rear of the forward bilge in the inlet and outlet seacock compartment for the head. In order for the forward bilge to even think about kicking on, a whole lot of water has to end up down there. Same for the rear bilge. It is not positioned in the lowest part of the boat. Although from what I see, there is really not another place to put it back there because of the water tank. However, I would really like to know why Grady did not wire a forward bilge in the sea cock compartment. It is very accessible.

2. As for the anchor compartment - I do not understand why there is not a little self bailing through hole at the bow of the boat to allow any water to drain directly out that comes into the anchor locker. When you bring up 60 feet of anchor line, it is socked with salt water and it drains directly into the bilge. On my other boat, I used to hose down the anchor locker to get all the salt off the chain and it would drain right out of the boat. Why would you want all that water into your bilge if you can avoid it?

Anyone else have a lot of rain water in their bilge? Any feedback on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is this "seacock" bilge not connected to other parts of the bilge? It doesn't fill up with nowhere to go, right?

I don't like an anchor locker that doesn't self drain (a separate "compartment"), either. Makes no sense to me. I'm not sure where you're located (signature doesn't mention it), but if freezing isn't an issue - or something you can at least deal with - then maybe just plug up the cleat drains with silicone.

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
Is this "seacock" bilge not connected to other parts of the bilge? It doesn't fill up with nowhere to go, right?

I don't like an anchor locker that doesn't self drain (a separate "compartment"), either. Makes no sense to me. I'm not sure where you're located (signature doesn't mention it), but if freezing isn't an issue - or something you can at least deal with - then maybe just plug up the cleat drains with silicone.

Yes, all bilge areas communicate with a little hole at the bottom of each bulk head. But the water settles mid ship to slightly forward in the head inlet and outlet sea cock compartment with no bilge pump. So when ur "underway", you have water sloshing around in ur bilge from stern to bow and back again . Not the end of the world but wouldn't we all want a dry bilge? I'm in the Norheast, so yes freezing can be an issue.....not sure I would want to seal up cleats but I am trying to think of a solution to design a "catch-basin" to hang beneath the cleat and hook it up to the drain.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Before you reinvent the wheel in regards to the "catch basin"... check with the manufacturer of the cleat. I've seen numerous "pop-up" cleats over the years and so far, all already have some type of catch basin/drainage system. Whether the boat manufacturer uses that option, or not, when building the boat... that's up to them.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Wait, I'm confused now. In my first reply, I mentioned the cleats... but now there is no mention of the cleats in your first post? Did you remove it... or did I see the mention of the cleats in another thread?

That's your boat? OK, so there already is a drain system - I didn't realize you already had that. From the video, it just looks like the actual cleat is not sealed well... or at all. If you want to test it, tape over the cleat and spray again with water.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The problem is the hull is used on 3 boats today, 4 in the past. It started for the Marlin, then CC, then express and finally DC. Each is going to have it's own center of gravity. I find the marlin 's low spot is at the forward bilge pump. When I wash down the anchor and rode the water runs to that spot and is pumped out. The water almost never settles aft. Underway, it will run back there.
I think you have a few options. Live with it. Build up the glass and create a new floor so water drains to the forward bilge pump (probably not easy). Run wiring and hose and install a third pump. I'd vote for #1, but that's just me.

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
Wait, I'm confused now. In my first reply, I mentioned the cleats... but now there is no mention of the cleats in your first post? Did you remove it... or did I see the mention of the cleats in another thread?

That's your boat? OK, so there already is a drain system - I didn't realize you already had that. From the video, it just looks like the actual cleat is not sealed well... or at all. If you want to test it, tape over the cleat and spray again with water.

Yeah, you saw my cleat comment in another post about a Marlin leaking.

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
The problem is the hull is used on 3 boats today, 4 in the past. It started for the Marlin, then CC, then express and finally DC. Each is going to have it's own center of gravity. I find the marlin 's low spot is at the forward bilge pump. When I wash down the anchor and rode the water runs to that spot and is pumped out. The water almost never settles aft. Underway, it will run back there.
I think you have a few options. Live with it. Build up the glass and create a new floor so water drains to the forward bilge pump (probably not easy). Run wiring and hose and install a third pump. I'd vote for #1, but that's just me.

....or another option, is a better catch basin for the water that is dripping down. I still want an answer from GW on why their anchor lockers do not have a thru hole at the bottom of the bow by the waterline, so water will bail out directly overboard. This would solve a lot of issues.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Would the bottom of your anchor locker be conducive to drilling a hole? Meaning, if you drilled a hole (which is easily done), would the water run out there?

How close is the floor of the locker to the water line? If it's too close, you run the risk of water flooding in (even with a clam shell over the hole) while underway - especially at low, plowing-type speeds.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had the dealer put in an overboard drain on my Marlin. It is high enough to remain out of the water most of the time. The hole must be "lined" to prevent water getting inside the layers of the hull. A plastic caulking tip was used.

The hard part was sealing the bottom of the anchor locker so water didn't get into the bilge. It is a tough spot to work in.

Fishtales

Reaction score
....or another option, is a better catch basin for the water that is dripping down. I still want an answer from GW on why their anchor lockers do not have a thru hole at the bottom of the bow by the waterline, so water will bail out directly overboard. This would solve a lot of issues.
Agree. Pls let us know what they say.