Tow eye 30 Marlin

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Skipping the long story, anyone put a dedicated towing eye on their Marlin? How, where, what? I don't see how to do it easily with the windlass being on the centerline. I'm wondering if two eyes adjacent to the windlass (backing plates etc..) and a bridle is the way to go?

1- No, I'm not going to use the trailer eye (would be fine with this for short distances in emergencies, yes, that's not what I'm asking about)
2- No, I'm not going to use the bow cleats (would be fine with this for short distances in emergencies, yes, that's not what I'm asking about)

Specifically asking about adding a tow eye for towing the Marlin behind a 140' boat for the summer in Alaska.

Thoughts?

RC

Fishtales

Reaction score
There was a bow lifting eye offered as an option that mounted up front not sure if it could be used for towing. Maybe check with Grady for the exact location. I’m assuming if you could lift the boat with it at this location you could tow with something mounted in that spot.

seasick

Reaction score
Towing a boat on the water is safest using two wide spaced deck cleats, one on each side and a bridle.
Although I have little doubt that the Grady bow eye is strong enough and would be fine, I would prefer the bridle arrangement

Reactions: Angler Management

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There was a bow lifting eye offered as an option that mounted up front not sure if it could be used for towing. Maybe check with Grady for the exact location. I’m assuming if you could lift the boat with it at this location you could tow with something mounted in that spot.
Interesting!

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Towing a boat on the water is safest using two wide spaced deck cleats, one on each side and a bridle.
Although I have little doubt that the Grady bow eye is strong enough and would be fine, I would prefer the bridle arrangement
That's what I'm thinking too.... have you seen anyone add additional cleats on the bow? The existing bow cleats are certainly sturdy... and in a good spot. But that isn't what the Captain of the 140 footer is thinking. Just trying to get an idea of if this has been done before and how it was done. Thanks!

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I remember see this boat when it was listed, sounds like exactly what you are looking for

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Here is what Grady sent me for a 232, I have not done it. 1651438461115.png
1651438508316.png

Blackfin, "GREAT BOAT" has an option for it from the factory. https://www.irwinyachtsales.com/boats-for-sale/2022-blackfin-252-cc-anacortes-washington-8069473/

Just as important is the tow line, stretch, length, thickness, bridle, loops all done by Top Knot Mooring Lines Canby, Oregon
Tell them what you are towing, he will build it right. Not cheap, but you will not go back and try to get the boat in rough seas!
Top Knot Mooring Lines
1150 SE 3rd Ave
Canby, OR 97013
Toll Free: 1-800-867-5668
Local: 503-651-5668

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
ALSO, floating line!!!!

seasick

Reaction score
Here is what Grady sent me for a 232, I have not done it. View attachment 25665
View attachment 25666

Blackfin, "GREAT BOAT" has an option for it from the factory. https://www.irwinyachtsales.com/boats-for-sale/2022-blackfin-252-cc-anacortes-washington-8069473/

Just as important is the tow line, stretch, length, thickness, bridle, loops all done by Top Knot Mooring Lines Canby, Oregon
Tell them what you are towing, he will build it right. Not cheap, but you will not go back and try to get the boat in rough seas!
Top Knot Mooring Lines
1150 SE 3rd Ave
Canby, OR 97013
Toll Free: 1-800-867-5668
Local: 503-651-5668
Boy did I have trouble understanding what your drawing was:) I think I finally got it and it you seems that you got the order of the ply application correct. What are the dimensions of the plies?

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
That is not my drawing, it is what I received from Grady!

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
As far as bow "tow attachments" on boats CSR Seattle Nigel 206-334-8508
He will do it right, not cheap! But as I said, those that do it cheap, end up snapping lines or failed bow attachments! You will not be able to go back in bad weather to collect your Grady! Contact Yacht Insurance for "towing Insurance!"
Been there done that!