Tow vehicle opinions

Capt. B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sailfish is now on a trailer but I have yet to purchase a tow vehicle. Gross payload of boat and trailer is 9,600 pounds. Want something used that I can drive from the Midwest to the East coast in the Spring; tow, launch and retrieve about 10 times during the season, then drive back to the Midwest to tackle the winter (and repeat). Given most outings will consist of 4 guys, gear and tackle, am considering a short bed pu with 4 doors. Thoughts? One friend said consider nothing that does not have an Allison transmission.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Chevy or GMC 4X4 with DuraMax diesel......Allison 1000 6 speed auto tranny standard.....will pull your boat like it ain't even there. Good MPG for a big truck. Truck is pricey but maybe you can find a used one.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
I have an '08 Dodge 3500 4x4 that I tow mine with. It does an outstanding job and i love the engine brake for helping to stop the big load. Chevy would be my second choice. But that is me.

I'd post a pic of it in action but don't know how.

Heavy Duty

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For that long of a trip 2500/250 HD. You don't need a dualie but if one shows up for a good price...

Personally I'd get a GM with the Duramax and Allison, good motor and the best trans out there.

Option #2 would be an older Excursion with the 7.3 (stay away from the 6.X motors).

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Grog said:
For that long of a trip 2500/250 HD. You don't need a dualie but if one shows up for a good price...

Personally I'd get a GM with the Duramax and Allison, good motor and the best trans out there.

Option #2 would be an older Excursion with the 7.3 (stay away from the 6.X motors).

Why not a Dully?

A dully offers better stability, better stopping, and better traction. I've had dullies since the first one came out in 1974 (Chevy 3500) and I can tell you that there has been times I was really glad to have the extra rubber on the ground.

To me it is all about safety first, durability second. The 3500 will have a larger frame then a 2500, larger braking capacity, and higher tow capacity. Granted you may pay a G or 2 more but IMO well worth the dollars.

HD

ahill

Reaction score
Grog said:

Problem with the older excursions is tranny . I have a 2005 Exc with 6.0 pulling my 272. Tranny is great but 6.0 has issues. Ford has major suit going with International Harvester re 6.0. Ford offers an extended 100,000 mile warranty on 6.0 for about $2500. I bought it at 96,000 and its already paid for itself.
The twin turbo 6.4 gets worse mileage than a 1988 Bronco.
I wish Obama Motors would offer a Suburban Diesel.

Bama96

Reaction score
Daman858 said:
Chevy or GMC 4X4 with DuraMax diesel......Allison 1000 6 speed auto tranny standard.....will pull your boat like it ain't even there. Good MPG for a big truck. Truck is pricey but maybe you can find a used one.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!!! I have a 2009 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab with the Duramax/Allison. Pulled my 300 Marlin very well. Just got back from SC with the new 225 Tournament. Towed it for 6 hours behind the truck like it was not there. Cruised at 75MPH on the highway. You can't beat the transmission.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 2500HD and a 3500 dualie have the same frame, you get an exra leaf with the 3500. With a 5th wheel the tow capacity goes up but for ball and hitch they're the same. The dualie will be more stable with a wider stance but the little exrtra may not be worth the hastle of driving the dualie when you're not towing. It's a Sailfish not a 40' trailer.

I didn't know about the tranny problems with the older Excursions. I have a Suburban and would have jumped on a 2500HD model with the diesel and even put that in the customer satisfaction card. The 6.X powerjokes have been troublesome, but at least they fixed the trannys.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another for Duramax +1

And Grog has it right, you get nothing more in a dually than two extra tires and a higher GVW which you don't need for towing. They don't stop better either, and they're not better for launching. The duals are actually a hindrence as there is more surface area so less loading per square inch so they spin easier. Worse, the wider rear fenders are fiberglass and because they stick out so far people tend to hit things with them - a giant PITA. All of these trucks are great to drive but difficult to park. And they ride hard when they're empty.

Not only is the duramax engine outstanding, nothing beats the allison for towing, nothing.

In any case, for a sailfish you'll need to upgrade the hitch, and add a brake controller for electric over hydraulic. Otherwise they're ready to go. I'm pretty sure a locking diff is standard in the dmax's, so one can get by without four wheel drive.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CJ,

I can verify all you said about duallies. I hate our Ford F-350 7.3 diesel. It is a 99 so it has leaf springs in the front, a tranny made out of old beer cans and seats like sitting on plywood. It sits at the horse farm gathering pine needles and only gets driven when absolutely neccessary.

In my defense, I didn't buy it...it came with my wife when we got married.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
OK.

My take is that I don’t skimp on safety when it comes to boating and I don’t skimp on safety when it comes to hauling either.

For the OP Below is a good site to find tow capacities on all makes.
(http://www.trailerboats.com/towrating/)

I would suggest setting down and look at what you want to do and how often you will be doing it. Then find what would best suit your needs and then do your pros and cons. Also don’t be afraid of going onto some of the websites and checking out some of the threads. I sure wouldn’t ask your question there cause you will get biased answers.

My hauler doesn’t get much rest. It hauls both of the boats, a 4-horse trailer with living quarters, and the corvettes. I am now on my 6th Dodge and love the Cummins. No problems launching, no problems parking and i do a lot of that in D.C. And you are right...it rides like a truck when empty and loaded just like I want it to. Not like a living room couch with wheels. Use to be a chevy truck guy but my last (1994 3500) really burned me. The Dmax has come a long way and I’ve always said that if Dodge ever lost the Cummins I’d go back to the Chevy..or GMC.

HD

Desperado

Reaction score
I have pulled with a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton. You can tell a stability differennce between the two when cruising. The dually just feels more planted to the road. If you are pulling a Sailfish (like me) your boat is already as wide or wider than the dually. If possible find someone who would let you try both (buddy, dealer, etc.). My brother-in-law let me try his 1 ton, and the experince sold me for towing a boat the size of a loaded Sailfish. I will not even start the Dodge vs. Chevy vs. Ford thing. They have all made good and bad rigs depending on what year & model you buy.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I love my 08 Tundra. The crew max cab is awesome. My kids love it and it is very comfy. It is a solid truck and the 2010 models have a beefier tranny. It may not be dually, but it is also not a Chevy or a Dodge....wink wink...both those companies futures are questionable....

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FWIW, i had a 2500 HD long bed with 6.0 engine and 4.10 gears, that thing pulled 12000 from factory, never ever had a problem with it and pulled my boat just perfect(8900 lbs total). Reason i sold it was that sold the boat and was a big PITA to find a parking spot in our NY streets, that thing was almost 24 feet long from the push bar to the hitch.

DSC00488.jpg

Bama96

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
FWIW, i had a 2500 HD long bed with 6.0 engine and 4.10 gears, that thing pulled 12000 from factory, never ever had a problem with it and pulled my boat just perfect(8900 lbs total). Reason i sold it was that sold the boat and was a big PITA to find a parking spot in our NY streets, that thing was almost 24 feet long from the push bar to the hitch.

DSC00488.jpg

NEM I bet that 6.0 liked to drink the gas. :shock:

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bama96 said:
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:

DSC00488.jpg

NEM I bet that 6.0 liked to drink the gas. :shock:

Not really, on the highway was much better than my current suburban.

Workdog

Reaction score
gw204 said:
Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4. 5.9 Cummins and a 6-speed manual. End of story.
Respectfully disagree on the manual tranny. I drove stick shift cars for years, but, pulling a boat up the ramp, or worse, pulling your trailer and boat up over the edge of a ramp stinks. If you are not used to driving a stick shift, you will hate the manual in short time.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My Tundra has Toyota's 6 speed automatic/manual transmission where I can use it fully automatic or simply move it to the "s" position and electronically "manually" shift it from first to 6th. I get without towing on average 19.5 mpg highway, towing it goes down to maybe 12-13. The 5.8 liter is a solid motor.

I met a guy towing a beautiful 34 foot Yellow Fin down in Vero Beach a few years ago. I made a comment about towing it. He said towing it was not problem, stopping was his concern. I love Toyota's massive 14 inch rotors and 4 wheel disc brakes. Put on their high end TRD rotos and calipers and pads, and stopping power is greatly improved.

commercial over.... :wink: