TOWING 208 Adventure from Greenville to Detroit

grunt

Reaction score
Just going down to pick up my 2007 Grady White 208 Adventure this week in Greenville North Carolina.
With a new custom fitted bunk Eagle trailer.
The dealer from Florida is bringing it up and meeting us there.
Made arrangements to go to the Nascar hall of fame in Charlotte first... then load the boat the next day.
Also made arrangements to take a plant tour while we are there.
Then planned on heading north on I77 through the hills and spend the night in Charleston West Virginia.
And then continue home the next day.
I tow a 6 ton -24 foot trailer every day with my 2012 Ford F250 diesel and will be bringing this truck.
And have towed my backhoe and float with my Freightliner for the past 15 years.
Any advice on my route choice or anything else you might suggest.
Thanx, RT.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase....be sure to post pics.

Your routing is fine....I'm assuming you are taking 40 to Winston-Salem...then 52 North which turns into I-74 to I-77.

Since it's a new trailer, I'd make sure to check everything after the first 100 miles or so...and then again once you put the boat on it. Specifically, retorque the wheels, check to make sure all your lights are working, bearings aren't too hot, etc...

Some things to carry with you...a torque wrench and sockets...an infrared thermometer...rags...flashlights...jack...lug wrench that fits your trailer...and a grease gun.

I'd throw all the cushions in the cabin so you don't have to worry about them blowing out....get yourself some transom tie downs....remove the electronics and lock them in the tow vehicle, and expect that everything will need a thorough cleaning by the time you get it home.

77 through the hills of WV is pretty....just take your time.

Bajaahh

Reaction score
I just towed from Virginia to San Diego with my 208. I'd recommend getting a M-Y Wedge, a 2x6, or Transom saver. I experienced really bad roads and I know that that thing helped take some of the shock off the transom. I also used a ratchet strap to tie the front eye bolt down to the trailer to keep the front of the boat from bouncing. I'd also remove your $500 prop along with any easy access items that a thief can easily steal.
Safe travels

grunt

Reaction score
Well we just returned from our trip to Greenville to pick up our 208 Adventure at the plant.
Picked up our new trailer in Waterford Michigan and took I77 south through Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia to North Carolina.
It was a nice scenic ride thru the hills of West Virginia and Virginia.
Took 2 days to arrive as their were a few accidents on the way down.
And quite a few smokey bears.
We had arranged for the fellow from Florida to transfer our boat to us at the plant.
After we loaded the boat we had an informative plant tour with Jim Hardin .
Also met a very nice lady , Kris Carroll , president, and had our picture taken with her.
I gotta say all of the employees we met at Grady White are great folks.
The boat was shrink wrapped so all we had to do was tie it down securely to the trailer and we were off.
However there was a storm coming from the west so we took I95 north instead.
Sat in traffic in Washington for about 2 hours and took 2 days again as there were a few more accidents.
We were good till about Pittsburgh when we ran into heavy rain for about 2 hours and then into a windstorm for the next 2 hours.
The rain wasn't bad but the southwest wind kept trying to blow the boat into the next lane.
The only problem we had were 2 tire sidewall failures I found when we returned probably due to the road conditions.
Anyways we finally made it through Canadian customs at the border and are home now safe and sound.
Hopefully get the boat unwrapped by next weekend.

Attachments

• New boat 002.JPG
    New boat 002.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 2,685

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
Congrats on your new boat and a safe and sound trip home, it sounds like it was a bit of an adventure. Post up some pics when you get the wrap off.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Congrats on your boat and a successful trip.

I would guess your sidewall failure on the trailer tires were due to not only the roads but the possibility your trailer dealer didn't equip it with a heavy-duty tire. I can't count the number of trailers that were undersized for the boats they were designed to carry and that includes tires. They skimp on them to make the price attractive and go under the assumption that their customers won't trailer long distances anyway.

For the first couple years, everything is fine and then, as in your case, tires blow out, bearings fail prematurely, sometimes welds break, brackets, etc. Even if you went over hundreds of miles of bad roads, a tire with a heavy ply rating should have held up. The fact that 2 sidewalls blew in one trip tells me the tires were undersized for the weight rating of the boat and trailer.

Spring is here! Enjoy your new rig.

grunt

Reaction score
Finally got my 208 ready to go.
It sure is a nice boat compared to my previous acquisitions.

Still have a few items to complete and install....
But the pickerel are biting now out of Leamington
So here we come!

Attachments

• Grady White 208 June 2014 002.JPG
    Grady White 208 June 2014 002.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 2,500

Firenailer

Reaction score
She's a beauty! I had a '97 that I just loved. Sold it for nearly what I bought it for after 7 years in the pre - divorce fire sale. :bang

The good news is that I'm waiting for delivery of a 2015 208 Adventure powered by a 200 hp Yamaha! Should be here the first week of July if they beat the 4th of July Plant shutdown.

You didn't happen to see any 208's being built did you? :D

grunt

Reaction score
Yes we did see them building a couple of 208's during our plant tour.
We also met some of the employees that actually built our boat back in 2007.
They have quite a few fellows that have worked there for most of their lives.
All were very nice folks.
Going out for the first test today with my oldest son to see if she likes freshwater.

Attachments

• Grady White 208 June 2014 003.JPG
    Grady White 208 June 2014 003.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 2,476
  • Grady White 208 June 2014 006.JPG
    Grady White 208 June 2014 006.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 2,476

Firenailer

Reaction score
Wow, that must have been great! I think it would be pretty cool to talk to the guys that built your boat.

Those pics of yours look like its in terrific shape. Using it in fresh water should keep it looking new for many years to come, enjoy!