Towing 232 Gulfstream up the east coast?

MahiMike

Reaction score
Towing 232 Gulfstream up the east coast?
I understand that there are some “requirements” to towing a wide boat in many states, I purchased my boat in Maryland and need to tow it up to Rhode Island. I have a big enough truck and trailer, but recommendations on the route, etc would be very helpful.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As long as you don't have any commercial signage on your truck, I would just do it. Technically, you're right, most state's limit is 8'6". But that boat is so close no one is going to notice or care - or at least I personally wouldn't be worried about it (and haven't been in the past when towing slightly overwide). If you really wanted to dot all your i's, then you need to get permits for every state, which can be time consuming.

The following comes not from my personal experience, but a friend who ran a business towing boats for a couple decades: There's a company called "Highway Permits" out of Michigan (I'm sure there are others - that's the one he used) that can get everything you need for every state. Obviously they do this for a fee, but he always felt it was worth it. There's other things you need, such as overwide banners, yellow flashing light, orange flags on every corner, and more (again, just relaying that from my friend) but that was his business.

grunt

Reaction score
Just towed my 208 Adventure from the plant in North Carolina to Ontario about a month ago.
Straight north on I95 to Washington then northwest to Detroit.
Ran 60mph most of the way
Saw lots of smokey bears
No issues anywhere... except for 3-18 wheeler accidents.

grady23

Reaction score
I tow my Gulfstream all over the place and live in MD. and have been to Delaware, Virginia and North Carolina.
Things that WILL get you pulled over:
Hot-Dogging lane changes
TAIL-GAITTING -- For sure
No safety chain on boat or from Tow vehicle to trailer.
Lack of stern tie-down to keep boat secure on trailer.
SPEEDING
Just drive like you have good sense and if there are three lanes watch out for traffic coming on to the road. I tend to avoid the "Curb Lane when possible. I more or less try to run "with Traffic".

MahiMike

Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback!

I will plan to drive back up the coast during off peak hours and try to blend in with the other traffic.

Good advice on the tiedowns and safety chains etc.... don't give them a reason to notice you.

I'm off the charts excited about getting the GW home and into the water.

cota95

Reaction score
I just bought my 2012 Freedom 225 in Ohio and towed it back RI a couple of weeks ago. I try to pace myself and do my towing time during the day. YMMV

jisbell

Reaction score
Not sure the rules on the East Coast, but for sure (July 2015) in CA, Arizona, Nevada and Texas--for sure, the The GW Gulfstream IS illegal to tow without an "oversized" permit. This is a pretty big deal, not discussed enough, in my opinion. Yeah, you might get away with it--people do it all the time--but one more legal problem if you are involved in an accident. Right out of the box, you are the guy doing something illegal, even IF it had zero to do with the accident. And let's not forget, some--not all, but some of the lanes, anywhere you drive are pushed to the limit to fit a 9 foot beamed boat in that lane-and in some cases, it does not fit. Next, you really can't add rails--which I always want, cause if you are not already racking other cars on the road, this will just about do it. For my money and peace of mind--and responsibility, the Gulfstream is the wrong design for towing. Use a slip--or get one of the GW's with a smaller beam.

twinlks

Reaction score
you won't have any problems with a 208. i pull it from fl to ct every year and take 84 to 81 to 77 to 75 and over on 4. never a problem