Towing a 228G

rml2112

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2000 228g I was wondering what everyone was using for towing.
I currently have a 1999 tahoe with a 5.7l and I Am thinking about getting a 2500 series Pickup Truck
Looking at a ram 2500 diesel is that overkill?

Thanks
Bob

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
rml2112 said:
I currently have a 1999 tahoe with a 5.7l and I Am thinking about getting a 2500 series Pickup Truck

Thanks
Bob

Overkill? What is this word overkill? :mrgreen: . I had mine in Florida where the ground is flat and the only time we are on an incline is at the ramp or over a bridge. I pulled it with a 2005 Tacoma, and it pulled it like a champ. I also had a 1995 1500 chevy and the both handled it about the same. Stopping is the issue, if you have trailer breaks (that you keep serviced) I say you keep the truck and buy some new toys for the Seafarer.
The guy who bought my Seafarer had a F350, I used his truck to move it for him and it was like the boat was not even there.

GulfSea

Reaction score
rml2112 said:

Thanks
Bob

I pull mine with a 2001 Toyota Tundra and it handles fine. But I do have trailer brakes and wouldn't want to think of doing so without them fully functional.

JiminGA

Reaction score
We tow with a Z-71 Tahoe with a 5.3 and a trailering package. It tows ok but I definitely know it's there behind me. I'd prefer a pickup if had garage space but the Tahoe is fine and we've done many hundreds of miles towing to the gulf and the SE GA coast.

PA228G

Reaction score
I have one of those overkill Dodge 2500 diesels - you won't be disappointed - it gets over 20mpg on the highway, 17+ around town and 18+ mpg pulling the boat. Only down side is diesel prices are higher than gas these days in most parts of the country.

TerryP

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

This is a little late-haven't visited for a while, so I hope you're still watching for replies. I have a 226 which is almost as heavy as the 228 and have no problem towing with a 5.4l Ford Expedition and never had to use 4wd on a ramp, either. If you're towing in flat country (I'm in Florida) a diesel 2500 is not necessary. If you're frequently towing long distance in hilly terrain, the diesel will be more durable and get better mileage (when towing). On the other hand, the diesel is signicantly more expensive and fuel is a lot more, so it all depends on your circumstances. Good luck whichever way you go.

Terry

97208ct

Reaction score
Just because its rated to tow 'X' does not mean squat today. Can burn up an good tow rig fast if not careful with the GCWR.

Watch someone at the ramp crying after their rig struggles to get the boat out. See too many people towing rigs that are unsafe lately (tail wagging the dog) huffing and puffing to keep up with normal traffic speed or steep grades. The 1/2 tons today are only a shadow of what they were just a few years ago. Smaller springs & brakes, lighter front ends that can't even support full 8' snowplows. Trannys & rear pumpkins got the same treatment. But then how many really use a truck for what it was originally designed for ....work!

Our 208 w/trailer weighs in at 6100 road ready. The 228 will be around 7000+ maybe?
Wouldn't want anything LESS than a 3/4 ton.
We use an 08 Super Duty 'gasser' with the auto & 4:10 LS that also tows our New Holland tractor on a 10K tandem EQ trailer. Take your pick of any of the Big 3 HD rigs and will be happy.
Remember it's not how much power you have, but how you use what you have.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
97208ct said:
The 1/2 tons today are only a shadow of what they were just a few years ago. Smaller springs & brakes, lighter front ends that can't even support full 8' snowplows. Trannys & rear pumpkins got the same treatment. But then how many really use a truck for what it was originally designed for ....work!

Our 208 w/trailer weighs in at 6100 road ready. The 228 will be around 7000+ maybe?
Wouldn't want anything LESS than a 3/4 ton.
We use an 08 Super Duty 'gasser' with the auto & 4:10 LS that also tows our New Holland tractor on a 10K tandem EQ trailer. Take your pick of any of the Big 3 HD rigs and will be happy.
Remember it's not how much power you have, but how you use what you have.

I just can't agree here. I believe the 1/2 tons are much stronger than they used to be (not jus the Toyotas like use, but nearly all of them).

Assuming your Super Duty is a F250 with the 5.4L (you might have the V10, but didn't say), even my lowly SUV has a few specs (not all, of course) that are better. HP is 381 to your 300, Torque is 401 to your 365, Front and Rear brakes are about 1/2" larger than yours, rear axle ration is 4.30 to your 4.10. I also have a factory tranny cooler, limited-slip diff, fully-boxed steel frame, etc. The power this engine makes is better even than the diesels from not too long ago.

This is my new Sequoia of course. My old one, which was used to pull the 228G had much different specs. However, when I bought that one in 2001 everyone claimed the same thing...no way a "Toy" will hold up to towing a signifcant boat. I had the boat and truck 10 years, with never a squeak out of any component of the truck. The rear brakes made it over 90,000 miles! I sold it to a friend and it's still doing great with no problems.

I'm certainly not saying the Super Duties don't have a place; I've used a F350 dually and loved it. I'm just saying the 1/2 ton trucks on average have gone the other way from you suggest, and some are more capable than what we used to call heavy duty trucks years ago.

rml2112

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I am leaning towards a 2500 series, my current tahoe with a 5.7 is the short wheelbase 2 door and its engine is getting tired after about 150K.
thanks
bob

97208ct

Reaction score
Check out what mounts up on 1/2 trucks for snowplows today (7 1/2 foot 'light duty-homeowner' plows).
The manufacturers will tell you all about the lighter front ends, springs and brakes.

The Toyota tows 7100# & has a GCWR of 13,600#
The SD is 11,400# & 18,000#

Its not what you have, it's how you use what you have.

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In a tight I have pulled my 228G with my Honda Ridgeline. I do not recommend it. Yes, it is within the gross weight. When I really want to go somewhere, I use my friend's diesel Ford Excursion. I agree with someone above, no such thing as overkill.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 00 Cherokee 4.0 268k miles is a towing bear, tows my 204 no prob, I have maintained trailer brakes and they help !allot!. But I tow 5 miles to the ramp. I think it can tow that 228 as well but will never be able to stop it without burning up my brakes.

Saw a 228 being towed down the GSP with a Honda Pilot. :shock:

@ 65mph He seemed to be doing fine.