Towing a 24' walk around?

folivier

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe with 5.3 liter 4x4 and towing package with 8200# tow capacity. Will it be capable of towing an early 90’s 24’ walk around with aluminum trailer?
It looks like the 24’ is about 3500# dry, + 500# for motor, 500# fuel, 200# batteries, etc. + trailer is about 6000#. Does that sound about right?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You can tow that. Towing is easy stopping is the hard part. The question is can you tow it at what speed and distance? I tow a lot and have had my share of issues with tires and hubs. My trips to Florida range between 600 and 900 miles. I think your vehicle would be fine in flat areas. Again, the issue is stopping. Take it easy and make sure your trailer has brakes on all 4 hubs.

Finatic

Reaction score
I think you will be fine. I have a 2012 Tahoe with the same package and I used to trailer my 232 Gulfstream with it and now I use it to tow my 257 Advance. My boat is wet slipped and it is only trailer twice a year unless there is needed maintenance of hurricane coming up the coast. I typically tow the boat about 45 minutes to the marina and as stated earlier take it slow and leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle ahead. Good luck.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I would like to add that I had a 192 and in a pinch I would tow it with a Toyota Highlander with a V6 at 5k pounds towing capacity. We would tow our camper to St. Augustine from Orange City to camp at Anastasia State Park. It weighed more than the boat and used our Sequoia to tow it.

The 192 with trailer was near the limit of the Highlander and it towed it fine but I got to tell you, there were times in stopping I would rather been pulling it with the Sequoia. I think auto makers give a conservative tow weight but then again there was an engineering standard adopted by many auto companies that measure tow capacity from one brand to another which many companies adopted after 2011. I also think auto companies should upside their brakes on tow vehicles. It is one reason why I now drive a Tundra because they put some thought into their brakes on that truck.

folivier

Reaction score
That's good to know, thanks!
I've got plenty of experience boating and towing. It's just been about 8 years since my last boat.
I plan to keep the boat in a boat shed only a couple miles from the launch but do plan to make a yearly or 2 trip of 500-1000 miles. That's why I was wanting to make sure the Tahoe could pull a 24'.
Trying to decide whether I want a 22' or 24' for fishing/cruising the lakes, bays, and GOM in Louisiana.

billyttpd

Reaction score
I think you will be fine with the truck you have just heed the above warnings. I would never go to the limit on a trucks tow rating though leave a 1500 pound cushion. just my opinion. If your towing any distance give yourself a break and try to tow with the fuel tank (in the boat!!) as close to empty as possible to save some weight. fill it when you get close to where you're going