Towing a Gulfstream with a Tacoma

phishead

Reaction score
I've added up all the numbers for my '04 Gulfstream w/ twin 200's plus the trailer and gear. It all adds up to less than the 6500 lbs. of towing capacity I have with my '08 Toyota Tacoma. does this sound right to you all? am I over-looking anything here. is anyone else using a mid-size truck to tow a Gulfstream? I bought the boat while it was in the water so this will be my first attempt at towing it.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Have you actually weighed it at a public scale?
Reason for asking is mine with twin 200's weighs 10,100 lbs. Admittedly, I tow with full fuel, ice in the livewell, etc.
The weight difference between our boats seems unusually large to me.

If your weight is what you have computed, I would think a Tacoma would be OK, although I wouldn't take it on long trips, over steep mountain grades, etc. I would also say 4WD is a must for the steep, wet ramps.

no problem

Reaction score
I think your gulfstream will tow great until an emergency situation arises. Then I think it will get pushed around and beat up. I wouldn't do it regularly. Just my $.02

gradyVT

Reaction score
Those numbers don't seem to add up, unless perhaps the boat is completely empty in fuel.

I just towed a gulfstream 7 hours with a Ford 250 and I wouldn't want anything less than that, as these boats are heavy.

As earlier poster said you may be OK a short distance but I would not think you would want to tow it a lot.

If you must make sure you have good trailer with good brakes as the Tacoma would have a tough time stopping that boat.

Brian

Bokat

Reaction score
My Gulfstream weights 8,000# on a scale with full fuel. Mine is a 93' and had twin 140 Johnsons when I weighted it. I have since repowered to larger motors. I towed with a 98' 1500 4wd Suburban and I felt I was pushing it. I now have a 2500 duramax and it does great. As stated before, it's the stopping not the going that's critical. If you are going down the street, like to a neighborhood ramp, you might be OK but anything more....get a heavier duty vehicle; these boats are heavy.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Wow....not really a good idea.
I tow my 208 every weekend with the same Tacoma 4x4, dont get me wrong it is a helluva truck but it will not be happy with a 232 behind it. My boat loaded is right under 6k lbs and the truck has no problem with it but I would go no larger without upgrading the truck. The brakes just cant handle it.

Now if your just going 2 miles to the local ramp on backroads you might be ok. With 4x4 that truck will have no ramp issues either given a properly distributed trailer.

Dont forget to take a picture of that rig, I thought mine looked lop-sided.
P3270174.jpg