Towing a GW 225T with a larger boat

leek

Reaction score
I am in negotiations to buy a Fleming 55 trawler, it currently has a 13.5' Nouverina rib. I am giving up a competant 38' sport fisher that has been my primary fishing boat except when I am alone (when I use the 225t). I boat primarily in Puget Sound but would anticpate going north fairly far on inside passage with the new to me boat. I don't think the rib will work for crab or shrimp pots (no room), so I am considering towing the t 225.
Has anyone towed their GW with a larger boat at trawler (10-12KT) speeds? I have a bridle that I used to anchor the Lindell, do I need a bridle on each end or just tie into the bow eye? does the bow eye need reinforcement? Any other advice?
The other option would be to buy another tender, probably an aluminum 14' boat or sim but I'm not wild about the extra expense.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have owned a trawler. Never again. From experience, yes you could tow, preferably with a bridle. But, every time you slow that wonderful GW is going to ram your stern until your swim platform and the glass on the Grady is ruined. Buy an aluminum john boat with a small outboard. It won't be more expensive when you consider the agrivation and repair expense.

grady23

Reaction score
Towing a boat of that size and construction will, as said above, create problems every time you need to slow or stop. Rough water could also be a problem and you would need a very long tow line for that. If your towing at night, you will also need a different set of lights to indicate a vessel in tow. I would investigate something else that could be connected directly off the stern or on a davit.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The scenarios mentioned above are all underway.
There would be a whole new set of problems bringing the Trawler and the Grady in tow into a dock. You would have to tie the Grady alongside and side-tow it into any harbor or narrow, busy channel for that matter.
Interesting idea, and it would be good to have the Grady with you for side jaunts and fishing; but overall, I would have to agree with the others that it would be more trouble than fun.