Towing a GW 235 with BMW X5?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
But as some other people have said for limited towing and launching retrieving the X5 is a good vehicle. It will look small in comparison to the boat though.........
Yup - luckily, looks can be deceiving. Trailering a 30' Sea Ray cruiser with a '98 3/4 ton Suburban (diesel)... after a stop over I was walking back to the rig and thought "Geesh, that boat makes that Burb look tiny!". Trailers like a champ, though. And how 'bout a 35' cruiser on the back of a 3/4 ton pickup truck... Same goes for my Offshore on the back of my GL - yup, looks can be deceiving.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Glacier hits the main point. How steep is the ramp and how far down do you have to push trailer for boat to float or slide off?
The "algy" area is killing and that is why you have to have all wheel drive or 4WD BUT remember the trailer weighs down the rear of the car and lifts the front so traction up front may be compromised even if it is on dry concrete.

A heavy truck is of course safest bet but the X5 can do the trick in most cases.

H

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
He is NOT being cheap. An X5 is a perfectly fine/sized vehicle for pulling his boat. He could pull that boat year round with the X5 and be just fine, too.
I meant in that I'd spend the couple hundred bucks a year to rent an appropriately sized truck from Enterprise or so forth. Where you know that you won't potentially have an issue with the tow rig, though I've already mentioned this before at least once. And sure, the X5 can definitely tow the boat but can it do it safely and without any issues? I'm of the opinion that it can't safely tow it because when you're essentially at, or even over, the maximum tow rating... that isn't safely towing a boat imo. Going around the block with the boat on flat, dry pavement and without needing to launch the boat is one thing. I'm not sure how far the OP lives from where he intends on launching the boat but if it's over 10-15 miles, involves highway driving and has a launch that's difficult to put in/pull out of? Again, that's not worth the risk imo. I've seen, and personally experienced enough slippery boat ramps to not want to gamble over potentially swamping my tow rig but hey it's the OP's vehicle, he can do whatever he wants with it. I would be willing to throw down a $20 though for the OP's time to have him take the boat/trailer to a certified scale and see what it weighs, of which I'd be willing to bet another $20 that it'll be at the 7k lb mark when moderately loaded down.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My neighborhood, salt water ramp is on a canal, with a couple of feet of tide swing, and that area which is in the tide swing is covered with algae. Where it is dry, traction is no problem, but one step into the water and you are on ice. I have to hang onto the tailgate to get to the winch post, just to keep my footing. I have seen quite a few people bust their ass on these ramps, and for that reason, I don’t get my tires wet.
A friend of mine sunk a full-size dodge ram on that ramp
My thoughts exactly...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I meant in that I'd spend the couple hundred bucks a year to rent an appropriately sized truck from Enterprise or so forth. Where you know that you won't potentially have an issue with the tow rig, though I've already mentioned this before at least once. And sure, the X5 can definitely tow the boat but can it do it safely and without any issues? I'm of the opinion that it can't safely tow it because when you're essentially at, or even over, the maximum tow rating... that isn't safely towing a boat imo. Going around the block with the boat on flat, dry pavement and without needing to launch the boat is one thing. I'm not sure how far the OP lives from where he intends on launching the boat but if it's over 10-15 miles, involves highway driving and has a launch that's difficult to put in/pull out of? Again, that's not worth the risk imo. I've seen, and personally experienced enough slippery boat ramps to not want to gamble over potentially swamping my tow rig but hey it's the OP's vehicle, he can do whatever he wants with it. I would be willing to throw down a $20 though for the OP's time to have him take the boat/trailer to a certified scale and see what it weighs, of which I'd be willing to bet another $20 that it'll be at the 7k lb mark when moderately loaded down.
If you had taken the time to read the OP's original post, he clearly stated he's towing a minimal distance just once or twice a year. He also stated that the ramp is overly steep and is clean/not slippery. The X5 is MORE than capable of doing this - plus it gives him a nice ride the rest of the year.

Trailering longer distances with it would be just fine, too.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you had taken the time to read the OP's original post, he clearly stated he's towing a minimal distance just once or twice a year. He also stated that the ramp is overly steep and is clean/not slippery. The X5 is MORE than capable of doing this - plus it gives him a nice ride the rest of the year.

Trailering longer distances with it would be just fine, too.
I did read the OP's original post. I'm not sure what his definition of a minimal distance is, but if he's concerned enough to make a post about it, then it sounds like he has his suspicions. Also, just because a ramp is "clean/not slippery" one day doesn't mean that it will always be in that condition. Lastly, I also disagree that the X5 can safely trailer long distances, but I digress...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I did read the OP's original post. I'm not sure what his definition of a minimal distance is, but if he's concerned enough to make a post about it, then it sounds like he has his suspicions. Also, just because a ramp is "clean/not slippery" one day doesn't mean that it will always be in that condition. Lastly, I also disagree that the X5 can safely trailer long distances, but I digress...
No, apparently you did NOT read his post - or at least not well enough. He clearly stated the distance.

He asked a fair question because he didn't know the answer. Plain and simple.

Your assessment on the X5's trailering ability in based purely on interent research... and we all know how "factual" that can be. The X5 is a very stable vehicle perfectly capable of trailering this lighter weight.

Experience always trumps sitting behind a computer spouting useless facts and information. And that's a "real" fact.

Reactions: magicalbill

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No, apparently you did NOT read his post - or at least not well enough. He clearly stated the distance.

He asked a fair question because he didn't know the answer. Plain and simple.

Your assessment on the X5's trailering ability in based purely on interent research... and we all know how "factual" that can be. The X5 is a very stable vehicle perfectly capable of trailering this lighter weight.

Experience always trumps sitting behind a computer spouting useless facts and information. And that's a "real" fact.
And it sounds like you didn't read my first post, which would be #7. I think the biggest issue here is that you don't like a younger guy telling you that you're wrong. It's a numbers game here, of which the OP's boat/trailer setup could likely be heavier than the tow rating of the vehicle. It's not rocket science, and whether the ramp is a mile away or 100 miles away, I'd still say it's not safe and I personally wouldn't do it. The OP can do as he wishes though as it's his boat and his vehicle, all I'm saying is that there could be devastating consequences for his actions. Which it sounds like he's somewhat aware of that fact enough to ask the question in the first place, though he was also quoting dry weights of the boat when he should be using the "performance data" sheet that I linked in one of my earlier replies. The X5, even if it does have a 7,200 lb tow rating could at that weight moderately loaded, potentially even more. The only way to truly find out is to weigh the boat/trailer moderately loaded down with fuel, gear and whatever else the OP will be using on a consistent basis. Lastly, just because you say something is so, doesn't make it thus and I guess that means GW, the builder of the boat, is incorrect on their own weights of the boat? Just because you disagree with something or it doesn’t make sense to you, doesn’t mean it’s not correct. Once again, I'll bow out and let you have the last word though so as to not derail yet another thread. Good evening.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
And it sounds like you didn't read my first post, which would be #7. I think the biggest issue here is that you don't like a younger guy telling you that you're wrong.
Dennis - Life was so much simpler when we were young and knew it all!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
And it sounds like you didn't read my first post, which would be #7. I think the biggest issue here is that you don't like a younger guy telling you that you're wrong. It's a numbers game here, of which the OP's boat/trailer setup could likely be heavier than the tow rating of the vehicle. It's not rocket science, and whether the ramp is a mile away or 100 miles away, I'd still say it's not safe and I personally wouldn't do it. The OP can do as he wishes though as it's his boat and his vehicle, all I'm saying is that there could be devastating consequences for his actions. Which it sounds like he's somewhat aware of that fact enough to ask the question in the first place, though he was also quoting dry weights of the boat when he should be using the "performance data" sheet that I linked in one of my earlier replies. The X5, even if it does have a 7,200 lb tow rating could at that weight moderately loaded, potentially even more. The only way to truly find out is to weigh the boat/trailer moderately loaded down with fuel, gear and whatever else the OP will be using on a consistent basis. Lastly, just because you say something is so, doesn't make it thus and I guess that means GW, the builder of the boat, is incorrect on their own weights of the boat? Just because you disagree with something or it doesn’t make sense to you, doesn’t mean it’s not correct. Once again, I'll bow out and let you have the last word though so as to not derail yet another thread. Good evening.
Honestly, your post doesn't matter
Dennis - Life was so much simpler when we were young and knew it all!
So true!

I'm thinking I'm going to click that special button again. Shame on me for unclicking!

• Haha

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
As an old but not senile and young at heart human without modern pronouns I just say all experiences and views are worthwhile listening to BUT on a forum like this its not worth bickering over nuances in someone's post and double guessing the stated conditions......
Take it easy and smile when out on the boat and safely off the roads.

H

fastexas

Reaction score
I considered that with Lowe’s trucks but they have no hitches on their trucks. I don’t know about Home Depot. I might be able to use U-Haul pick ups however. Those are good ideas! Thank you!
I've used a Uhaul 1/2 ton rental pickup to tow my 225 tournament with no issues.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, I read and reread the previous posts, then got out my long tape and it appears that Dennis pissed just a little farther than Mustang. Now, for our next episode....stay tuned. ;)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, I read and reread the previous posts, then got out my long tape and it appears that Dennis pissed just a little farther than Mustang. Now, for our next episode....stay tuned. ;)
Good thing I wasn't doing it upwind :) I learned that real quick when I was about 8 years old. Some things it only takes once to learn!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No worries here... just another person added to the ignore list :p

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you have an Enteprise Commercial Rental in your neighborhood? They rent 2500 pickups. Rent one when the boat needs to go in and out.

Another option is a UHaul Truck....not a pickup but one of their box trucks. All have hitches as they are capable of also towing a car dolly.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I’m needing to buy a vehicle for minimal towing my GW 235. Weight m: 6000 pounds with trailer. The BMW X5 is rated for 7200 pounds. The X5 weighs 5000# and its wheelbase is 117 inches. The 7200# X5’s rating probably regards pulling power and stopping/braking power, but not necessarily launching a 6000# load down a sloped ramp into the water. It may be directed more towards pulling a camper or utility trailer on a highway. I will never tow more than 20 miles and I’ll only tow 1-2 times per year. (I keep the boat in a wet slip.). Other than these 1-2 tows, I really don’t want to own a large vehicle like a suburban, or a large pick up.

My only concern is launching and retrieving it from the launch up/down the ramp, which is not overly steep. We don’t have slippery, algae covered ramp problems here.
Based on those above conditions, what advice might anyone have?
Don't do it.

I have a 2021 236 Fisherman which is very similar in size and weight to your 235 Freedom. We towed it with my wife's Yukon Denali that had the 6.2L. We purchased the Yukon in 2019 planning for it to be the tow vehicle when we eventually bought the boat. What scared me is the lack of the Denali's stopping power. Plus the Yukon was humming about 2600-2700 RPM with the tow/haul mode on and in the highest gear - it was working hard to pull the heavy boat. I had my trailer brakes go out one time and the Denali was barely able to stop it, and that was on surface streets. Couldn't imagine no trailer brakes with the Yukon on the highway. I now have a F250 that was purchased just for towing the boat. I have the new 7.3L gasser and it'll hum going 70mph on the highway at about 2100 RPM. My wife says I owe her a new Yukon since she believes I messed up her transmission! My boat was longer, taller, heavier, and wider than the Yukon which was not a good feeling on the road.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Don't do it.

I have a 2021 236 Fisherman which is very similar in size and weight to your 235 Freedom. We towed it with my wife's Yukon Denali that had the 6.2L. We purchased the Yukon in 2019 planning for it to be the tow vehicle when we eventually bought the boat. What scared me is the lack of the Denali's stopping power. Plus the Yukon was humming about 2600-2700 RPM with the tow/haul mode on and in the highest gear - it was working hard to pull the heavy boat. I had my trailer brakes go out one time and the Denali was barely able to stop it, and that was on surface streets. Couldn't imagine no trailer brakes with the Yukon on the highway. I now have a F250 that was purchased just for towing the boat. I have the new 7.3L gasser and it'll hum going 70mph on the highway at about 2100 RPM. My wife says I owe her a new Yukon since she believes I messed up her transmission! My boat was longer, taller, heavier, and wider than the Yukon which was not a good feeling on the road.
That single experience is not normal. I've trailered with many Yukon's/Tahoe's/Suburbans - most with lesser engines... a couple with larger. A bunch of them were older ones with even lesser braking systems. They are EXCELLENT trailer vehicles and have no problem stopping weights like that.

Something else was going on for you to have issues with it - or your expectations of what it means to be in control of a boat/trailer are not quite realistic. I suspect a little bit of the latter due to the comment about longer/taller/heavier - that's pretty much the norm for trailering a boat :)

2700RPM? Correct. It's doing exactly what it should. That is a GOOD thing as that is where the engine runs more efficiently. NOT talking about MPG here - it's about what's safe for the engine. A gas engine has an entirely different torque curve than a diesel. But running 2700... that can be done all day long and it's TOTALLY fine.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't do it.

Good advice, and from someone that actually has somewhat of a similar setup to what the OP is looking at.

Last edited:

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Don't do it.

Did you set the transmission in the Yukon to trailering mode? If so, I doubt you harmed anything. It would make sense that the engine may be running at a slightly higher rpm at a given speed, because in trailering mode, it probably runs at a slightly lower gear to pull the extra weight and to handle the extra wind resistance, which is going to be the big factor at speed. The Yukon should be well rated to pull a 6000 pound load.