Towing a Marlin

Desperado

Reaction score
Does anyone have real world experience towing a Marlin? I tow my 272 constantly and the only issue so far has been heigth (mostly low limb issues on rural roads). I just wanted to see if the Marlins extra dimmensions have caused anyone an issue. I know about permits, etc. I want REAL towing experience feedback. Thanks guys!

FYI I use an Excursion diesel or F350 for pulling duties.

ahill

Reaction score
I read in apost on one of the popular forums that if you get into an accident without a permit yor insurance doesn't cover you

G8R_DVM

Reaction score
I tow my 300 Marlin all over Florida with very little hassle, its sits roughly 13 and a half feet tall on the trailer to the top of the outrigger bases. I have the same tree issues as you and try to plan my route accordingly. I usually wrap a towel around the radar to prevent minor scratches from trees. I always try to tow it low on fuel and put as much gear in the truck as i can until i get to the ramp. I tow it with a dodge diesel and usually only manage around 60-65mph on the highway. Just FYI I towed it with a friends diesel excursion once and had the front seal on the tranny fail and left us on the side of the road, granted we had the boat, 7 people, and a lot of gear tacked on the extra weight of the excursion over the pickup. I dont think you'll have any more trouble than you do with your 272

Desperado

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am aware of the permit requirements and I have upgraded the transmission cooling on my Excursion and added a trans. temp gauge (weak spot on the 7.3L Fords), so I hope I have these areas covered. My main concern was the additional width, but it sounds like I may be OK. If anyone has anymore suggestions/cautions please chime in!

G8R_DVM

Reaction score
One more thing, not sure if you have this problem now but it gets a little lose when im driving down the highway at 65 and a semi truck flys by, all that freeboard acts like a kite. I moved the boat forward on the trailer to increase the tongue weight and is hasent been as much of a problem. I always go through the wide load lane at the toll boths on the turnpike also.