Towing a Marlin?

Clockwork

Reaction score
I'm looking to upside from my sailfish 25 to a Marlin 28 or possibly a Marlin 30. Most likely a 90s Era boat considering my price range. I need it to be mobile. Can I safely tow this boat?

My tow vehicle is a 2012 ford super duty 6.7 diesel crew cab long bed single rear wheel.

LastChance

Reaction score
Clockwork said:
I'm looking to upside from my sailfish 25 to a Marlin 28 or possibly a Marlin 30. Most likely a 90s Era boat considering my price range. I need it to be mobile. Can I safely tow this boat?

My tow vehicle is a 2012 ford super duty 6.7 diesel crew cab long bed single rear wheel.

Our Marlin 300 with full fuel, gear and an aluminum Load Rite triple axle trailer was about 14,000 lbs. We towed it with a Denali 2500 HD Duramax with no problem.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I tow mine all the time, no problem. Depends on your experience but if you are use to towing you will have no problems. Definitely need 4x4
I tow with a Chevy 2500 Diesel.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Physically, your truck is up to the task. A dually would make a very noticeable difference, but what you have is fine.

But don't skimp on the trailer - brakes on all axles. Ideally EOH brakes for that kind of weight - HUGE improvement over standard surge brakes.

You're well over the legal width limit for trailering and will need wide load/overwide permits for each state you trailer through.

Only you can determine if you can comfortably do it, though.

lgusto

Reaction score
I tow my Canyon 306 with the same truck, 2012 F250 6.7 Diesel. Two critical issues.

First, tongue weight. Buy or borrow a good tongue weight scale (about $130) and get between 10 and 15% on the tongue. Don't guess, go to your local scales with the boat loaded with your typical towing gear and fuel. I used my local dump/transfer station.

Second, put air bags in the rear of your truck to adjust for the right tongue weight. My F250 sat too low with the stock springs and I suspect yours will too given that the Marlin is heavier than the Canyon. I installed manually inflated bags and use a portable air compressor as needed.