Towing a Rubber Inflatible

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am planning a cruise to Maine on my 24 ft. voyager and was considering taking(towing) an 8ft. inflatible dingy with me. Has anyone done this for any distance. In medium seas 2-3 ft. would the dingy be stable when the boat was on a plane 20 -23mph ? Any advice appreciated-Lew

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I too would love to know the answer to this. I tried towing my Achilles 9.5' High Pressure Floor a few weeks ago and it towed okay but I was concerned about it flipping over. I lifted the engine up and was towing it about 60' behind my boat. I have a bridle for the dinghy but was towing it from a single stern cleat on my boat (as I wanted to be able to easily adjust how far it was back from the boat). I purchased New England Ropes Floating Dinghy Tow Rope (the best prices is at http://shop.sailboatowners.com/google/c ... ?vp=165455) because unlike polypropylene rope, it ties like nylon rope but it floats on top of the water (meaning less chance of getting it fouled in the props).

I don't have enough room to bring the dinghy on board the boat (and don't want to) so any advice on how far back to tow an inflatable (as well as whether I need a bridle to center it behind the boat) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

freddy063

Reaction score
I towed a 10' inflatible open water at 20 knots from maine to Cape cod, as long as it was back enought to be inside the wake it was fine, so just make sure you have a long line.

Boat Hound

Reaction score
I am actually heading up Weds morning to Portland with my 265Express, was just debating deflating the 10' Zodiac, or towing it. Other than I really have no room on the boat with a dog, 2 kids,my wife. and a weeks worth of luggage ( yes we have a place to stay once there ) My preference would be just to throw it in the boat for the long haul.

I was originally heading planning up on Thursday, but 1' or less compared to 5-7's made leaving a day earlier a no brainer :)