Towing Adventure 208

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi all, just bought an adventure 208. Do you think I’ll be ok towing with a 2006 4 runner. Tow capacity is right at 5000. I’ll think that’s what the boat, trailer, full tank and 150 2 stroke will weigh. Local trailering up to 50 miles each way.
Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
My truck is rated at 5000 lbs also. I towed my 208 75 miles with no problems at all. I did not fill up the tank though and wonder why you would. Every gallon is another 6+ pounds.
I have a dual axle trailer with surge disk brakes. The boat weighs about 2000 lbs, the motor about 450, trailer is 1100 pounds and then add about 40 gals of gas and a few hundred pounds for for gear. I figure my load is at about 3800 pounds just under the 80% number that is recommended. One thing to check is the weight distribution on the trailer aka tongue weight. If not balanced correctly, handling can be sloppy to dangerous. I also had to make sure that all the roads I took allowed trailers AND I had to get a different EZ pass transponder for when I tow. It is a four axle transponder so that they can charge you double tolls:)

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Seasick’s numbers are pretty good, except the dry weight of the 208 is 2650 lbs for your vintage hull, not 2000. Here’s what I always figure for heaviest case:

Trailer 1100 lbs (I have a Pacific galvanized trailer)
Hull 2650 lbs
Motor 420 lbs
Full fuel tank 500 lbs
Full fresh water tank 80 lbs
Misc other gear 300 lbs (batteries, oil, anchors, and other junk)

That puts the rig at right around or a little above 5000 lbs. I tow with a 2012 Ford F150 Supercrew with a 3.7 V6 rated to tow 6000 lbs and can hardly tell the boat is behind me. The long wheelbase helps quite a bit. I’m sure you’ll be fine with your 4Runner if you take it slow and give yourself plenty of braking distance. But you are going to be up against the tow limit. Obviously you can shed a few hundred lbs if you wait to fill up the fuel tank close to the ramp and keep the water tank empty, if you’ve got a fresh water shower. But, also pay attention to the GCVW for your vehicle because even if you’re just under 5000 lbs on the trailer, your combined weight of the vehicle and trailer might be over.

seasick

Reaction score
Seasick’s numbers are pretty good, except the dry weight of the 208 is 2650 lbs for your vintage hull, not 2000. Here’s what I always figure for heaviest case:

Trailer 1100 lbs (I have a Pacific galvanized trailer)
Hull 2650 lbs
Motor 420 lbs
Full fuel tank 500 lbs
Full fresh water tank 80 lbs
Misc other gear 300 lbs (batteries, oil, anchors, and other junk)

That puts the rig at right around or a little above 5000 lbs. I tow with a 2012 Ford F150 Supercrew with a 3.7 V6 rated to tow 6000 lbs and can hardly tell the boat is behind me. The long wheelbase helps quite a bit. I’m sure you’ll be fine with your 4Runner if you take it slow and give yourself plenty of braking distance. But you are going to be up against the tow limit. Obviously you can shed a few hundred lbs if you wait to fill up the fuel tank close to the ramp and keep the water tank empty, if you’ve got a fresh water shower. But, also pay attention to the GCVW for your vehicle because even if you’re just under 5000 lbs on the trailer, your combined weight of the vehicle and trailer might be over.

You are correct on the hull weight. I could claim that I made a type but in actuality I was wrrrr....... I knew I was at 4800 pounds.

Reactions: enfish

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Its all about braking!!! I tow with a Ram 1500, it enjoys the tow! Just be sure you keep your distance and have brakes on both axels working, as it is a bit of a brute to stop quickly!!! Congrats on the 208 and ENJOY!!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Its all about braking!!! I tow with a Ram 1500, it enjoys the tow! Just be sure you keep your distance and have brakes on both axels working, as it is a bit of a brute to stop quickly!!! Congrats on the 208 and ENJOY!!

I thought I was going to read about a "towing adventure," like what happened on the way to the boat ramp.

Then I read the "208" Got it....

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I tow my adventure with a 2012 jeep liberty, rated at 5k and do fine. I bought an bluetooth OBCD reader and downloaded an app called torque and it gives me my transmission temp to monitor conditions (along with other things like engine temp, tire pressure). I have only been concerned one time when driving about 50 miles, about 90 degrees (ac kicking) and in hilly terrain for last 10 miles transmission got hot but not hot enough to overheat or pull over, just hotter then preferred.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
All went well with my first trip to the ramp. Definitely feel the boat behind me, need to give myself plenty of space to stop. But OK for now with the 4 runner, eventually I'll need to move up.

B-man

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I think you guys are really pushing it towing that boat with a smaller or midsize SUV.

I can see it being reasonable if you're only towing it a few miles a few times a year, but for any amount of regular towing at highway speeds I'd really suggest a half ton truck (for your safety and everyone else's).

Also keep in mind that if you ever got in a wreck towing over your max payload/gcvwr, you are really opening yourself up to civil/criminal lawsuits.

You also need to know what your specific vehicle's tow rating actually is. Just because Google says a Liberty's max tow is 5,000#, doesn't mean yours is set up for it. And keep in mind, any payload in the tow vehicle takes away from the tow rating . Passengers, gear and coolers add up fast.

Last edited:

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I agree B-man, I feel the same and will start looking for a more capable truck. My marina is about 10 miles away and I took it slow, leaving pretty early in the morning. Overall, I will say it was not as sketchy as I thought.

fathergoose

Reaction score
I think that you are going to want to upgrade your tow vehicle even if your under the 5000# tow rating. I have a 2009 Seafarer that weighs approx. 6200# on the trailer with fuel and water. I tow it with a 2015 GMC Canyon with the tow package that is rated for 7000# and my pucker factor is pretty high when I tow it. Thankfully I only tow it two or three times a year. If I were towing it more frequently I would definitely upgrade to a full size truck with a tow package. The 80% rule is a good one to follow.