Towing Grady with Jeep

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would like to see that test! Yep, it eventually stopped!!

Anyone could look it up and do their own research to comfort themselves with info rather than comforting themselves by attacking me. I posted this standard above to make it easier to verify everything I said previously:

Most of the major truck manufacturers are now using SAE J2807 as the standard for calculating GCWR and TWR, I don't think having a buffer is any longer necessary. With today's modern standards, I don't see any reason not to tow up to the calculated max allowable for a tow-ready vehicle. To learn more about SAE J2807, click here.
(this paragraph is not my opinion, it's a copy and paste from a magazine article talking about the tow standard)

What is the SAE J2807 method?

SAE J2807 includes all vehicles up to 14,000 pounds GVWR. ... The tow test procedures designed by the big brains at the SAE consist of a series of rigorous real-world challenges to determine the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of a vehicle and trailer combination.

Stop It!
The J2807 standards also have requirements for the braking performance of the truck-and-trailer combination at its maximum GCWR. Combos with a maximum tow rating of more than 3,000 pounds are required to stop completely from 20 mph in 80 feet or less. During this stop test, the trailer must remain within an 11.5-foot-wide lane throughout the entire stop. In addition to the active testing, the parking brake must be able to hold the truck and trailer firmly in place both upward and downward on a 12 percent grade when it is at the maximum GCWR.

Mustang, you assume a lot in your last response. When this thread started I didn't know anything about you but now I've done a search. I learned you post a lot (a lot of opinion) and you own a soapbox which you have used perfectly here. You'd be better served by listening more. (so long as you are honest with your listening, unlike how you did earlier in this thread)

I assumed anyone towing any distance would keep up with maintenance just like everyone I've personally known. Towing is no joke and not for the unskilled and ignorant. That last sentence being said, the greater the disparity between trailer weight and max tow rating, the lesser the skill necessary.

We're expected to get iced in shortly, I'll be here all day. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yikes, didn't know that was an attack. I simply would like to see the test and how they perseave it relates to the real world. I don't trust the auto industry. GM just took it on the shins for false tow info in the last couple years.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yikes, didn't know that was an attack. I simply would like to see the test and how they perseave it relates to the real world. I don't trust the auto industry. GM just took it on the shins for false tow info in the last couple years.
I'm sorry. That was not directed at you. I quoted you and provided info about the towing standard.

The attack comment was directed at the one that tried to (incorrectly) say my meaning then attack that meaning (that they conjured up).

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is turning into a thread from THT!!

Mustang65fbk and TopsulTime,,, agree to disagree and move on. You each have your opinions on this and that's just that.

If this discord continues, I will lock it down. I refuse to let the content of this page go the way of THT. Play nice folks.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Speaking from experience with a similarly equipped Jeep....
More than likely that Jeep has the same tow package that mine came with. It includes a tow/haul mode that reprograms the trans shift points, has auxiliary engine and transmission oil coolers, and a factory class five hitch.
With good brakes on the trailer and a brain that can comprehend that you cannot tow at the same speeds you would drive without a trailer he’ll do fine. I drove 5500 dually pulling a 40’ hotshot trailer professionally for a crane company a few years after retiring. There’s a whole different mindset when towing and the folks that can’t grasp that will continue to provide us with amusing YouTube videos. ;)
We tow our Grady, about 5,000lbs of that 6,500lb max rating regularly, along with a camper and other trailers we own. It’s had a trailer behind it a lot and with 196,000+ miles it’s engine and transmission operates like the day we rolled it off the lot. Another thing ours has the 245hp 4.7 V8. If that can tow ours with no trouble the hemi’s 370hp won’t have a problem either.

Last edited: